Morgan Spurlock dies at 53
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 01:48:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Morgan Spurlock dies at 53
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Morgan Spurlock dies at 53  (Read 226 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 24, 2024, 08:22:09 PM »

Morgan Spurlock, the filmmaker behind the award-winning documentary "Super Size Me," died from cancer complications, his family announced on Friday.

"Morgan gave so much through his art, ideas, and generosity," his brother, Craig Spurlock, said in a statement. "The world has lost a true creative genius and a special man."

Spurlock died Thursday, according to his family. He was 53 years old.

The Oscar-nominated documentarian and director from West Virginia famously ate fast food for 30 days to create his hit 2004 film, during which Spurlock claimed to only consume McDonald's menu items for all three meals, which highlighted the radical impact that diet had on his physical and psychological health.

The New York University alum later followed up with a 2017 sequel, "Super Size Me 2: Holy Chicken!," which was Spurlock's final documentary.
ABC News

RIP. Far too young.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2024, 08:50:16 PM »

A bit of a grifter whose most well known film is quite dishonest and has basically been debunked, but definitely never good when someone dies at that age. RIP.

The revelation was that much of the side effects he suffered from in Super Size Me was because he was a long time alcoholic who was suffering from withdrawal. This might've been related. Very sad indeed. Sad
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2024, 11:59:45 PM »

The dude who eats two Big Macs and a Sprite everyday is still alive.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2024, 12:18:29 AM »

In addition to the point that Spurlock outright lied about his alcoholism in the film (some of his symptoms were compared to an alcoholic suffering withdrawal...because that's exactly what it was!) he was also intentionally overeating and engaging in abnormally unhealthy behavior. Some have noted at some points he had to be consuming about 4000 calories a day. That's basically an Olympic athlete-level diet except Spurlock was clearly not working out at the level of an Olympic athlete. He was actually limiting his steps and physical activity and continuing to eat when he was full.

Some people replicating his all McDonald's diet experiment actually reported losing weight when it was paired with a solid level of physical activity and portion control. It goes without saying eating only McDonald's is not healthy or a good idea, but the movie didn't accurately portrwy it at all.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2024, 06:27:03 AM »

RIP to a legend.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2024, 10:26:47 AM »

In addition to the point that Spurlock outright lied about his alcoholism in the film (some of his symptoms were compared to an alcoholic suffering withdrawal...because that's exactly what it was!) he was also intentionally overeating and engaging in abnormally unhealthy behavior. Some have noted at some points he had to be consuming about 4000 calories a day. That's basically an Olympic athlete-level diet except Spurlock was clearly not working out at the level of an Olympic athlete. He was actually limiting his steps and physical activity and continuing to eat when he was full.

Some people replicating his all McDonald's diet experiment actually reported losing weight when it was paired with a solid level of physical activity and portion control. It goes without saying eating only McDonald's is not healthy or a good idea, but the movie didn't accurately portrwy it at all.

Yeah, incidentally a friend had informed me that Spurlock was full of crap after this news came out. This hasn't stopped health classes across the country (including mine at the time) from showing the film all the time, though.

Shattered piece of my childhood tbh, because the film was somewhat memorable and funny.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2024, 08:15:53 AM »

He did accurately guess the city where Osama bin Laden was hiding out (and bin Laden had a copy of the documentary he made the guess in on his hard drive…)
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2024, 09:41:02 AM »

I still have to look at fat people every time I go out, so I don’t know what the point of his documentary was.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies