The Elections of 2024: You Decide - South African Legislative
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 04:01:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  The Elections of 2024: You Decide - South African Legislative
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Your choose
African National Congress (ANC)

Democratic Alliance (DA)

Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF)

Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP)

Freedom Front Plus (VF+)

African Christian Democratic Party (ACDP)

United Democratic Movement (UDM)

African Transformation Movement (ATM)

GOOD

National Freedom Party (NFP)

African Independent Congress (AIC)

Congress of the People (COPE)

Pan Africanist Congress of Azania (PAC)

The Congregation (Al Jama-ah)

Spear of the Nation (MK)

ActionSA

RISE Mzansi (RISE)

Patriotic Alliance (PA)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: The Elections of 2024: You Decide - South African Legislative  (Read 1058 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2024, 09:30:43 PM »

Personally, i don't think South Africa in its current form can exist and should evolve towards dissolution and the formation of several independent states, a Zulu state, a Cape State, Afrikaner/Boer states and a Xhosa state.

Please show me the rational borders you would draw, and explain how they would not result in mass violence.

Voted for VF+ since well i'm more closely related to Afrikaner than anything else, and they deserve to be independent, not because of blacks but more because of the Anglicanized character of South Africa, as well as protecting the Afrikaners language.

What???

Also, what exactly would be the geographic basis of an Afrikaner state?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2024, 07:27:09 AM »

Well thinking of South Africa politics gives me a headache, always did for the past 5 years.

I didn't realize DA is even seen as conservative by some users who I thought would easily go DA. But on an issue like ISR vs GAZ it's pretty clear who is superior over the other. Well, ANC > DA.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2024, 06:39:54 PM »

bumping again, current coalition possibilities are... interesting. DA obviously will lead, but it's a choice between a technical "grand coalition" with 2nd largest party VF+, or going a bit more of a left direction and bringing together a bunch of smaller parties like RISE, COPE, and GOOD. We'll see if more votes change this.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2024, 06:56:38 PM »

bumping again, current coalition possibilities are... interesting. DA obviously will lead, but it's a choice between a technical "grand coalition" with 2nd largest party VF+, or going a bit more of a left direction and bringing together a bunch of smaller parties like RISE, COPE, and GOOD. We'll see if more votes change this.

The Atlas forum is so grim man
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2024, 11:51:57 PM »

Probably DA.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2024, 09:27:52 AM »

Wasn't COPE just a vehicle for Mbeki loyalists more that what it claimed to be?
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2024, 02:34:05 PM »

that's kinda how it started, yeah. But idk how much they remain that way considering I found no mention at all of Mbeki on their website, which you'd expect at least a little bit.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2024, 04:31:59 PM »

that's kinda how it started, yeah. But idk how much they remain that way considering I found no mention at all of Mbeki on their website, which you'd expect at least a little bit.

Very Serious Party
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2024, 04:36:45 PM »

Very Serious Party

💀

Like I said I stuck with the Wikipedia pages and official websites of each party (when it was accessible, looking at you ATM) so I didn’t see stuff like this, lol. It does seem to be a bit of a mess of a party considering they’ve got half of their leadership positions vacant.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2024, 04:38:13 PM »

So Mbeki loyalists started a splinter party, and now Zuma and his loyalists did...really shows how much of a complete mess the ANC is, yet bizarrely such a mess of a party still can't lose.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2024, 09:21:50 PM »

DA: 34.8%, 142 seats (+58)
VF+: 15.2%, 62 seats (+52)
EFF: 13.1%, 54 seats (+10)
RISE: 13.0%, 52 seats (+52)
ANC: 4.4%, 19 seats (-211)
GOOD: 4.3%, 17 seats (+15)
IFP: 2.3%, 10 seats (-4)
ACDP: 2.2%, 9 seats (+5)
ActionSA: 2.2%, 9 seats (+9)
COPE: 2.2%, 9 seats (+7)
NFP: 2.2%, 9 seats (+7)
Al Jama-ah: 2.1%, 8 seats (+7)
Various others: 2.0%, 0 seats (-7)

The events leading up to the election were as shocking as the results. With only days to go before the election, MK was ruled to be taken off the ballot due to being an "illegal organization" because of corruption that had taken root since Zuma officially became head of the party. Zuma loudly protested and called for an election boycott, claiming that the ANC had bribed judges to take him off the ballot. Only 2 days after the ruling, documents dropped with conclusive evidence of this claim, including almost all of the ANC leadership in the scandal. The fallout created by this scandal caused ANC to basically collapse, with black voters scattering to all sorts of movements, the more radical among them going to EFF (saving them from losing any seats), while many others went to RISE or, being the only other party they knew of in any strong capacity (a sort of "the devil you know vs the devil you don't" situation), DA. But many simply didn't vote at all. Turnout plummeted below 50%, while white support of VF+ skyrocketed, causing them to shockingly place in 2nd. RISE, uh, rose up to be one of the largest parties, while the ANC crashed and burned, falling to be a minor player in the elections while over 80% of their leadership positions lay vacant or facing corruption charges. Meanwhile small parties like ActionSA, COPE, and ACDP were able to scoop up voters, while Al Jama-ah was able to turn out Muslims to an extreme degree, gaining many seats.

DA were the obvious government formation candidates, and while some voices called for them to govern with their Multi-Party Charter partners in VF+, it was pretty quickly noted that 2 parties led by white men partnering up to govern a majority black country was... a horrible idea. Thus, DA reached out to RISE, who were relatively ideologically compatible and extracted some progressive concessions, and the IFP, who had a decent relationship with DA thanks to being part of the aforementioned Multi-Party Charter, and got some minor concessions regarding tribal privileges and focus on liberalizing trade, in order to form a government with a narrow majority of 204/400 seats.

GOVERNMENT: DA+RISE+IFP [204/400]
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2024, 10:19:12 PM »

I tried as well as I could to make these results make sense, but I admit that the ANC collapsing so badly is basically impossible to conceive of. I did at least find a coalition that I think could actually happen if these were the results.

With that out of the way, I actually have a question for you: what election should I do next?

Iceland has their presidential election coming up, but idk if the position is powerful enough for us to bother spending time on. Alternatively, there’s Mexico’s election. Idk which to do next, so I want to hear input from you all.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2024, 10:34:53 AM »

ActionSA seems like the best party overall but I would just vote for DA. Even with low threshold PR having a larger good party is better than making a tiny party slightly less tiny.
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2024, 12:15:30 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2024, 12:19:54 PM by kaoras »

I'm deeply appalled by all the leftwingers saying that they would vote for a party with such deep hatred for poor people as DA. All the choices are terrible but the contempt that DA has for the poor is deeply disturbing to me on a personal level.

RISE I guess.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2024, 01:03:26 PM »

Democratic Alliance
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2024, 12:49:37 PM »

I'm deeply appalled by all the leftwingers saying that they would vote for a party with such deep hatred for poor people as DA. All the choices are terrible but the contempt that DA has for the poor is deeply disturbing to me on a personal level.

RISE I guess.
Competent administration helps the rich and poor alike
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2024, 02:25:01 PM »

RISE I guess.

As Parochial Boy has covered in depth, DA has very consciously neglected poor people in the cities they rule.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2024, 07:57:19 AM »

RISE I guess.

As Parochial Boy has covered in depth, DA has very consciously neglected poor people in the cities they rule.
That hardly sets them apart from the ANC, their record at providing municipal services in terms of basic service delivery is far superior.
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2024, 09:12:11 AM »

RISE I guess.

That hardly sets them apart from the ANC, their record at providing municipal services in terms of basic service delivery is far superior.

Leaving aside how morally corrupt it is, yes, in abstract is better to provide good services to rich people and maliciously providing no services to poor people than being incompetent and providing bad services to everyone. That's an argument for a cynical person to prefer DA over ANC. Still not a reason why a left wing person should prefer DA(Which on top of that is economically neoliberal and with a nasty knack for right wing culture wars) to any other alternative.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2024, 10:56:48 AM »

More important to provide services to rich people in South Africa's case. This isn't actually a "libertarian" view of mine as I am ok with progressive income taxes but rather if all the rich people leave then South Africa's economy gets even worse.

If a rich person can't get basic services even if they have money then it makes no sense not to move out.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies