If Trump wins, what should be Democrats' midterm strategy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 05:30:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If Trump wins, what should be Democrats' midterm strategy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: If Trump wins, what should be Democrats' midterm strategy?  (Read 919 times)
GAinDC

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 24, 2024, 02:51:01 PM »

The 2026 cycle will begin the second a winner is declared in 2024. If Trump wins, what should Dems' strategy be for 2026?

My thoughts:

- Work on outreach to young/POC voters because if Trump wins, it'll probably be because they don't turn out

- Recruit candidates that appeal to these groups

- There needs to be a reckoning with the Gaza protestors. I'm really not sure if Dems should even bother to mend fences but obviously this schism can't be ignored.

- If Dems go into 2025 holding a majority in either chamber, make oversight of Trump a top priority. Expose and investigate every corrupt act by Trump and his administration. Pass popular policies on abortion rights, workers' rights, lowering drug costs and health care that Republicans will shoot down, exposing their extreme views on these policies.

- Fight like hell to hold Georgia, Michigan and NH and flip Maine, Texas, NC and Alaska.

- Build a stronger presence on social media that fights MAGA disinformation

Lykaon
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2024, 02:54:50 PM »

Moderate away from the woke issues/Hamas lovers
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2024, 03:17:13 PM »

I agree with basically all of these points. I might also add fighting like hell to resist voter suppression, but that'll only work so far if Trump is President again.
GAinDC

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2024, 03:22:09 PM »

I agree with basically all of these points. I might also add fighting like hell to resist voter suppression, but that'll only work so far if Trump is President again.

Agreed. If Trump gets back into power, I worry if any future election cycle will truly be "free and fair" like in the past.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2024, 03:39:20 PM »

Agreed. If Trump gets back into power, I worry if any future election cycle will truly be "free and fair" like in the past.

I believe elections will remain free and fair for the most part even if Trump wins since they're run by the states, not the federal government,

Also I doubt Trump would try to rig elections for Republicans who aren't himself, so I imagine if he wants to stay in power he'll save his energy for the actual presidential election.
GAinDC

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2024, 03:54:45 PM »

I believe elections will remain free and fair for the most part even if Trump wins since they're run by the states, not the federal government,

Also I doubt Trump would try to rig elections for Republicans who aren't himself, so I imagine if he wants to stay in power he'll save his energy for the actual presidential election.

which is equally bad!

How does the US prepare for a 2028 election where Trump wants to run again? Do people just continue to move the goalposts for him or does the Republican Party push back?

If he somehow runs and wins in 2028 and Dems control a branch of Congress, do they certify his win?

These are things we've never really had to worry about before Trump came on the scene, but now they are real possibilities. So, it's clear Trump has greatly harmed our democracy already.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2024, 04:00:56 PM »

which is equally bad!

How does the US prepare for a 2028 election where Trump wants to run again? Do people just continue to move the goalposts for him or accept that?

If he somehow runs and wins in 2028 and Dems control a branch of Congress, do they certify his win?

These are things we've never really had to worry about before Trump came on the scene, but now they are real possibilities. So, it's clear Trump has greatly harmed our democracy already.

If Trump tries to run again in 2028 I can't imagine him being allowed on the ballot.
GAinDC

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2024, 04:07:17 PM »

which is equally bad!

How does the US prepare for a 2028 election where Trump wants to run again? Do people just continue to move the goalposts for him or accept that?

If Trump tries to run again in 2028 I can't imagine him being allowed on the ballot.

What if he mounts a write in campaign that the RNC supports? Or what if he sues to be on the ballot and SCOTUS rules in his favor?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2024, 04:07:41 PM »

They really won't have to do much.

Americans will suddenly remember how much they hate Trump and have buyer's remorse over letting him return to power. Just like 2018, but on steroids.

It'll be a bloodbath for the GOP, but a pyrrhic victory for Democrats at best since Trump would still be President and probably already did irreparable harm in his first two years.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2024, 04:11:44 PM »

which is equally bad!

What if he mounts a write in campaign that the RNC supports? Or what if he sues to be on the ballot and SCOTUS rules in his favor?

SCOTUS is unlikely to rule in his favor outside of Alito and Thomas (or any replacements like them).

And he'd get absolutely obliterated in an election as a write-in.
GAinDC

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2024, 04:13:33 PM »

which is equally bad!

SCOTUS is unlikely to rule in his favor outside of Alito and Thomas (or any replacements like them).

Why? People thought he had no chance after losing in 2020 and Jan 6, but he now has more control over the Republican Party than ever.

Who's to say he won't be able to get away with even more if given the chance?
GAinDC

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2024, 04:14:47 PM »

Americans will suddenly remember how much they hate Trump and have buyer's remorse over letting him return to power. Just like 2018, but on steroids.

It'll be a bloodbath for the GOP, but a pyrrhic victory for Democrats at best since Trump would still be President and probably already did irreparable harm in his first two years.

What tanks Trump's popularity in his second term?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2024, 04:15:36 PM »

Literally just being Trump all over the news again.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2024, 04:18:49 PM »

which is equally bad!

Why? People thought he had no chance after losing in 2020 and Jan 6, but he now has more control over the Republican Party than ever.

He won't have the luxury of running against a deeply unpopular Biden, and he'll be the one blamed for everything that goes wrong in the country.
GAinDC

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2024, 04:24:52 PM »

which is equally bad!

He won't have the luxury of running against a deeply unpopular Biden, and he'll be the one blamed for everything that goes wrong in the country.

I love your confidence in the belief that another Trump term won't further erode democracy, but the last decade of politics has proven you wrong.
GAinDC

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2024, 04:25:58 PM »

Nope. That's become normalized. He's already saying unhinged things every day on the campaign trail. People just accept it and a lot of people like it.

Democrats can't just run on "not being Trump"
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2024, 04:34:21 PM »

which is equally bad!

I love your confidence in the belief that another Trump term won't further erode democracy, but the last decade of politics has proven you wrong.

I never said it wouldn't erode democracy further. It definitely will in some ways, such as the politicization of the federal bureaucracy or the weaponization of government agencies. But something like the federal takeover of election administration, or Trump finding a way to stay in power past 2029, isn't plausible.

I envision a second Trump term as a lot like Netanyahu's current stint, though hopefully without an October 7.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2024, 04:53:06 PM »

Nope. That's become normalized. He's already saying unhinged things every day on the campaign trail. People just accept it and a lot of people like it.

Democrats can't just run on "not being Trump"

Midterms are a referendum on the incumbent, and Trump will not be able to fall into the background like Biden did.
UncleSam

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2024, 05:24:51 PM »

Honestly this is overrated.

Dems don’t need much of a strategy other than don’t do anything too insane. Trump will drive people to the polls for them. Just stick to normal D talking points and dont have any affairs and Dems will be chilling.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2024, 06:00:51 PM »

1. Dems are unlikely to control any chamber in a Trump victory, but they can meddle in potentially narrowly controlled GOP chambers.

2. Make it a referendum on Trump. Even though Trump is ahead right now he is not popular. Make the election about him.

3. On the Senate side NC and ME are really the two only realist options, both might be open focus on getting good candidates and vetting them. GA and MI also need to be invested in for defense (don't want a repeat of FL 2018).

TX is probably fools gold
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2024, 06:15:48 PM »

2024 will be the last Election anyways where a Democratic Presidential Nominee can win with a WI, MI, PA Strategy.

By 2028 or 2032 it will be Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania = Republican, Republican, Republican.

Trump hasn't won in 2024 and I still think that he won't and we'll have Biden for 4 more years.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2024, 06:25:37 PM »

2024 will be the last Election anyways where a Democratic Presidential Nominee can win with a WI, MI, PA Strategy.

By 2028 or 2032 it will be Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania = Republican, Republican, Republican.

Trump hasn't won in 2024 and I still think that he won't and we'll have Biden for 4 more years.

If Trump wins in 2024 Dems will easily win all 3 of those states in 2028.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2024, 06:41:52 PM »

If Trump wins in 2024 Dems will easily win all 3 of those states in 2028.
Trump is sort of tied in all 3 States right now. I have a gut feel that this won't last. By August Biden will likely be ahead in WI, MI, PA.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2024, 07:04:13 PM »

The 2026 cycle will begin the second a winner is declared in 2024. If Trump wins, what should Dems' strategy be for 2026?

My thoughts:

- Work on outreach to young/POC voters because if Trump wins, it'll probably be because they don't turn out

- Recruit candidates that appeal to these groups

- There needs to be a reckoning with the Gaza protestors. I'm really not sure if Dems should even bother to mend fences but obviously this schism can't be ignored.

- If Dems go into 2025 holding a majority in either chamber, make oversight of Trump a top priority. Expose and investigate every corrupt act by Trump and his administration. Pass popular policies on abortion rights, workers' rights, lowering drug costs and health care that Republicans will shoot down, exposing their extreme views on these policies.

- Fight like hell to hold Georgia, Michigan and NH and flip Maine, Texas, NC and Alaska.

- Build a stronger presence on social media that fights MAGA disinformation

Texas is gone if ALLRED can't win no one will best hope is recruit Busse to defeat Daines since he will lose to GIANFORTE, recruit someone to beat Tillis and go after Collins
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2024, 10:13:18 PM »

Put together a sound legal strategy and strong legal team to handle legal challenges over canceling elections and invalidating results. Secondly, get security for candidates because any candidate who is an electoral threat to a Republican candidate will be at risk of being harmed.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies