Kristi Noem now banned from all nine of South Dakota's reservations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 11:17:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kristi Noem now banned from all nine of South Dakota's reservations
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kristi Noem now banned from all nine of South Dakota's reservations  (Read 437 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2024, 05:34:57 PM »

https://listen.sdpb.org/politics/2024-05-22/flandreau-santee-sioux-tribe-bans-noem
Steve from Lambeth
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2024, 05:44:58 PM »

Oh, no. This is not the kind of thing I would want happening to me if I was in any vaguely analogous position.

What I think this incident does show is that Republicans need to work with Native Americans - in their own states and elsewhere - in good faith rather than just assuming they will vote for Democrats forever. The Democratic consensus twenty years ago was that the Hispanic vote would break for Democrats far into the future; look where that attitude has got them.

I hate to use Project 2025: Mandate for Leadership as an exemplar of Republican policy, but if you actually read through its contents (especially pages 487 and 536-38), you will look in vain for any mention of the needs of Native Americans distinct from generic federal policy priorities such as resource extraction and the border.

On the other hand, it looks like the Keystone XL hatchet was buried after the Biden veto in January 2021 and no Republican has seriously considered reviving it since that summer; Standing Rock, most famously among the various reservations, were very strongly opposed to it cutting through their land.

At the very least, future Republican presidential candidates could at least promise to throw more money at the IHS, strengthen tribal enforcement of laws, and so on. Republicans at all (relevant) levels could hit up a few reservations in campaigning, promote education on Native Americans in schools, and promise to meaningfully consult with Native Americans on matters significantly affecting them.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2024, 12:28:19 AM »

Next up, the plastic surgeon's office!
Obama24
United States
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2024, 01:33:50 AM »

I'm loving her fall, ngl. A remorseless dog killer that gleefully recounted killing a puppy should only know failure.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2024, 02:47:35 AM »

It would be cool if Noem made the tribes band together in some sort of Indian Confederacy, meaning like a merging of the nine tribes into one unit, taking away much of South Dakota.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2024, 04:17:53 AM »

Not enough recommends here.

I'd call her a "dog," but I know that'd be the worst insult possible to her.
quesaisje
Electric Circus
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2024, 07:00:59 AM »

The bimbofication* of Kristi Noem is a perfect metaphor for what Donald Trump, the Bimbo in Chief, has done to the Republican Party (and to electoral politics in general) over the past decade.

I will not be surprised if the cracks about Noem's appearance are moderated (and they probably should be), but the fact that Republican women are obviously vying for Trump's attention in this way deserves serious discussion. "When fascism comes to America," maybe it's less likely to be draped in a flag and carrying a cross than it is to involve lip fillers and plunging decolletage.

This isn't even without recent precedent; Putin's shirtless cheesecake shots were among the warning signs about his regime.

*https://jscholarship.library.jhu.edu/items/86332e2b-1332-465f-baa7-5ad4574d36d1

There is danger in allowing the United States executive branch to continue towards complete bimbofication. Allowing the United States executive to become nothing more than a figurehead concerned with itself is causing the United States democracy to decay.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2024, 08:32:56 AM »

Not enough recommends here.

I'd call her a "dog," but I know that'd be the worst insult possible to her.

That would a very insulting thing to say about dogs.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2024, 09:43:55 AM »

I would presume these are not smart things to say if you are a Governor of South Dakota, lol.  I figured this was just a case of heightened political polarization causing people to act how they would not have in the past (like that Catholic Priest refusing Nancy Pelosi Communion as if he JUST became aware of her views on abortion in 2023?!?!), but I could easily see how American Indian leaders would be offended by this.

I am surprised Noem has had these types of troubles.  I remember liking her (not just aesthetically, lol...) in the past when I heard her speak and thinking she could easily be a rising star in the GOP.  It's also surprising to see this coming out of South Dakota, at least to me.  While staunchly conservative (i.e., not like Rockefeller Republicans or anything), it seems that Republicans from the Great Plains have always been a bit more refined than this and not exactly of the - err - "crass" variety.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2024, 11:27:27 PM »

I would presume these are not smart things to say if you are a Governor of South Dakota, lol.  I figured this was just a case of heightened political polarization causing people to act how they would not have in the past (like that Catholic Priest refusing Nancy Pelosi Communion as if he JUST became aware of her views on abortion in 2023?!?!), but I could easily see how American Indian leaders would be offended by this.

I am surprised Noem has had these types of troubles.  I remember liking her (not just aesthetically, lol...) in the past when I heard her speak and thinking she could easily be a rising star in the GOP.  It's also surprising to see this coming out of South Dakota, at least to me.  While staunchly conservative (i.e., not like Rockefeller Republicans or anything), it seems that Republicans from the Great Plains have always been a bit more refined than this and not exactly of the - err - "crass" variety.

Agree. Her level of trashiness would be much more fitting of a Southern Republican.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2024, 11:39:28 PM »

Native Americans are the most disaffected group in the nation and to make comments that relegate them to be completely hopeless incredibly insulting. They didn't have to worry about her coming there anyway because she thinks she's too good to set foot on a reservation anyway, but it's good that they are sending her a message that she's not welcomed.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2024, 12:18:47 AM »

While staunchly conservative (i.e., not like Rockefeller Republicans or anything), it seems that Republicans from the Great Plains have always been a bit more refined than this and not exactly of the - err - "crass" variety.

Seems pretty natural actually. It tracks with voters' appetite for more combative conservative Republicans in the last nearly two decades and perhaps the performative retribution of a culture of honor from the Southernization of rural America.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2024, 01:59:16 AM »

The bimbofication* of Kristi Noem is a perfect metaphor for what Donald Trump, the Bimbo in Chief, has done to the Republican Party (and to electoral politics in general) over the past decade.

I will not be surprised if the cracks about Noem's appearance are moderated (and they probably should be), but the fact that Republican women are obviously vying for Trump's attention in this way deserves serious discussion. "When fascism comes to America," maybe it's less likely to be draped in a flag and carrying a cross than it is to involve lip fillers and plunging decolletage.

This isn't even without recent precedent; Putin's shirtless cheesecake shots were among the warning signs about his regime.

*https://jscholarship.library.jhu.edu/items/86332e2b-1332-465f-baa7-5ad4574d36d1

There is danger in allowing the United States executive branch to continue towards complete bimbofication. Allowing the United States executive to become nothing more than a figurehead concerned with itself is causing the United States democracy to decay.

Don't know if I'd go the purely sexist route of calling it that, but Trump surely has lowered the level of dialog and standards overall.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies