Which Civil War Flags?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 05:38:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Which Civil War Flags?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which Civil War Flags?  (Read 527 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2024, 03:20:26 PM »
« edited: May 23, 2024, 06:14:11 AM by Meclazine for Israel »

I need to add some flag graphics to some military rifles and pistols I picked up from a Civil War collection.

For the Union and Confederate rifles and pistols, what flag do I use? I don't understand what flags each side used.

or

This is a Civil War Rifle named a Sharps I got my hands on and photographed. The obvious question is "Who Used It?", "North or South?"

1859 Sharps Infantry Rifle .54
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2024, 05:30:18 PM »

Here are a pair of Civil War pistols I would like to get my hands on.

Ulysses S. Grant Pistols

https://youtu.be/V7g26hE2evY

That is a pretty sexy pair of pistols.
satsuma
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -2.61

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2024, 06:39:07 PM »

The Union simply used the 13 stripes flag, although for historical accuracy it would only have 34 to 36 stars during the Civil War, since West Virginia and Nevada were admitted during the war and stars were not removed for the seceding states.

The situation on the Confederate side is more complicated. The flag with the "stars and bars" (circle of stars and 3 bars) was the first official Confederate flag, with complaints that it was too reminiscent of the Union flag.

The Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia has a diagonal cross although it was square. It became common in the post-Civil-War era for people to use the rectangular flag of the Army of Tennessee.

The stars and bars as official flag was replaced by the "Stainless Banner" (Battle Flag in the canton, on a white field) but that looks too much like a flag of surrender so in the end it was replaced by the "Blood-stained banner" with a vertical red stripe on the far end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_United_States#Historical_progression_of_designs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America

Short version, I don't really know, whatever you like, because multiple Confederate flags can symbolize the Confederacy and it's become somewhat politically sensitive to display them although historical accuracy reasons usually holds up.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2024, 06:15:11 AM »
« Edited: Today at 12:57:29 AM by Meclazine for Israel »

Thanks.

Most of the rifles, swords pistols and weaponry I have photographed are within the 1859-1865 period, so if it Confederate, I will use the 3 Bar.

Confederate guns are a lot more expensive.

If it's Union, I will use the 34 star US flag.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2024, 12:16:21 AM »

I want to own a martially-marked Starr Carbine with a good war date. So far, aside from a minty Remington revolver, a M. ‘61 Springfield, some sabres and a couple of imported muff pistols, all my CW weapons are excavated. As much as I love the thought of holding a piece of history whose holder may last have been a Civil War soldier, there’s something about that untouched patina on a martially-marked firearm of pre-1898 vintage.

I delighted to know there are some collectors here! Hooray!
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2024, 07:55:06 AM »

Our Springfield rifle says 1859 and hopefully that is the actual year of production.

Sometimes, it's the model number when they started.

Our Remington revolver is Confederate. Even though it is an 1858 model, Google Gemini is saying it is more likely an 1859 to 1861 due to the actual rarity of 1858 pieces.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2024, 06:55:08 AM »
« Edited: June 14, 2024, 06:14:43 AM by Meclazine for Israel »

This one is probably the hardest to describe.

First given to Members of Congress, this pistol is an 1859 Volcanic made by New Haven Arms.

Only 800-900 ever made of this model between 1857 and 1862. Which in gun terms, is....tiny.

This lever-action design was the exact predecessor that evolved into the Henry and Winchester rifles.

In 1859 "The standard version of the No. 1 Pocket Pistol sold for $12.00 with a polished brass frame, blued barrel and magazine, case hardened hammer and lever and two-piece wooden grips. For an extra $1.50, the pistol could be had with a silver plated and engraved frame."

https://collegehillarsenal.com/new-haven-arms-no-1-volcanic-pocket-pistol
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2024, 08:52:08 PM »

The Volcanic has always interested me. I have owned the ammunition but the pistol is priced out of my range.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies