Would observant Orthodox Jews be unable to attend all of Furnace Fest?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:49:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Would observant Orthodox Jews be unable to attend all of Furnace Fest?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would observant Orthodox Jews be unable to attend all of Furnace Fest?  (Read 125 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2024, 07:46:39 PM »

Legitimate question, it kind of popped into my head so now I'm curious.

It runs Friday-Saturday-Sunday. Would they banned from attending Friday night and Saturday until sundown, or is that technically not a violation of the Sabbath rules? Like imagine they got a hotel within walking distance, they could walk back to the hotel and wouldn't need to drive (prohibited) or use their phone to get an Uber/Lyft (prohibited) and come to think of it it wouldn't even be a violation I believe to ride along with someone non-Jewish driving or getting a Lyft/Uber. Is moshing a prohibited activity on the Sabbath?

The main reason I ask is that would be incredibly inconvenient. Imagine getting tickets for a three day fest but only able to attend Friday and Sunday, and actually not even all of Friday (although I guess they could catch the last bands on Saturday after sundown even if it's prohibited.)

Also would listening to music promoting Christianity also be a prohibited activity at any time? And would they be able to eat any food from food trucks that serve bacon and pork, or just not those foods?
LabourJersey
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2024, 07:25:10 AM »

I have a good friend who is an observant Jew - my impression is that the answer to your question is "most likely No."

I don't know if my friend adheres to the concept of the eruv (essentially a ritual boundary that surrounds a neighborhood that allows you to do simple errands and leave your house on sabbath), though I do know that there is an eruv near the Orthodox synagogue that he attends. Regardless I think observant Jews stay home or immediately nearby their homes on sabbath, so any kind of concert is out.

Friday before sundown, and saturday after there's no reason why he wouldn't go to something like Furnace Fest if that was his taste in music. Can't imagine he'd be thrilled with some of the more pro-Christian music, but that's more his personal taste.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies