Biden condemns ICC for requesting an arrest warrant for Netanyahu
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 03:38:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden condemns ICC for requesting an arrest warrant for Netanyahu
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: Biden condemns ICC for requesting an arrest warrant for Netanyahu  (Read 4152 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2024, 06:19:26 PM »

LOL Florida wants to self-destruct itself

So reliant on tourism and than you propose to this

Be my guest.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2024, 06:32:39 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2024, 10:32:26 PM by YE »

Israel has the capacity to kill every living thing in Gaza a very short time frame, the fact that they haven't done that proves that that's not what their intentions are.

In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part,a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

(a) Killing members of the group;
(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

http://www.preventgenocide.org/law/convention/text.htm

That's pretty absurdly broad, literally every war ever could be considered a genocide committed by both sides if that's the standard which makes it pretty meaningless. Hamas's actions would constitute genocide as well based on those standards so why am I not hearing anything about Hamas's genocide in Israel?

Like, in WWII we certainly "killed members of the group" (German and Japanese soldiers and also civilians) and deliberately brought about conditions to destroy them in part (destroying their army and infrastructure). So I guess Truman, Eisenhower and the entire Allied leadership should have been tried for crimes against humanity right along with the Nazis and executed after the war since you apparently can't make a distinction between killing individual members of a group for specific reasons and trying to wipe the entire group out.

These kind of broad moral standards are in fact not the result of a kind bleeding heart but from people who want to make excuses for evil by equating the actions of people defending themselves with those of the aggressor.

Look man I don’t know what your deal is but I’m not going to defend tens of thousands of Palestinians dying and the displacement of two million more. Also if you haven’t noticed  much of international law comes from after WWII so just stop invoking that era as a “gotcha”, it’s tedious and beside the point.

“What about the Allies in WWII” dude children in Gaza are starving

Are you you literally suggesting that killing any one single person constitutes a genocide? Because that's what a plain reading of that would indicate. It's a meaningless platitude as you would expect from the ICC.

Well the Allies also had blockades of Germany and Japan during WWII resulting in hundreds of thousands of civilians starving to death and I've never heard anyone object to that or suggest it was unwarranted given the circumstances, which are the same circumstances Israel is in now, an adversary who attacked them first and wants to completely destroy their country. The only people who object to the blockade of the south in the Civil War are neo Confederate douchebags, kind of like pro Hamas douchebags are doing with this.

I've never heard anyone suggest what they think Israel should be doing differently here besides sitting on their hands and letting Hamas kill and rape the entire population with impunity. Which if it happened wouldn't generate 1% of the outrage from the same people complaining about this, gee I wonder why?

You didn't read the text close enough.

Solely killing people isn't genocide.

There has to be an "intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group".

Normally, "intention" is very hard to prove, but Israel officials are brazen enough to speak out loud about their crimes.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2024, 06:50:46 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2024, 12:26:22 PM by YE »

Israel has the capacity to kill every living thing in Gaza a very short time frame, the fact that they haven't done that proves that that's not what their intentions are.

In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part,a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

(a) Killing members of the group;
(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

http://www.preventgenocide.org/law/convention/text.htm

That's pretty absurdly broad, literally every war ever could be considered a genocide committed by both sides if that's the standard which makes it pretty meaningless. Hamas's actions would constitute genocide as well based on those standards so why am I not hearing anything about Hamas's genocide in Israel?

Like, in WWII we certainly "killed members of the group" (German and Japanese soldiers and also civilians) and deliberately brought about conditions to destroy them in part (destroying their army and infrastructure). So I guess Truman, Eisenhower and the entire Allied leadership should have been tried for crimes against humanity right along with the Nazis and executed after the war since you apparently can't make a distinction between killing individual members of a group for specific reasons and trying to wipe the entire group out.

These kind of broad moral standards are in fact not the result of a kind bleeding heart but from people who want to make excuses for evil by equating the actions of people defending themselves with those of the aggressor.

Look man I don’t know what your deal is but I’m not going to defend tens of thousands of Palestinians dying and the displacement of two million more. Also if you haven’t noticed  much of international law comes from after WWII so just stop invoking that era as a “gotcha”, it’s tedious and beside the point.

“What about the Allies in WWII” dude children in Gaza are starving

Are you you literally suggesting that killing any one single person constitutes a genocide? Because that's what a plain reading of that would indicate. It's a meaningless platitude as you would expect from the ICC.

Well the Allies also had blockades of Germany and Japan during WWII resulting in hundreds of thousands of civilians starving to death and I've never heard anyone object to that or suggest it was unwarranted given the circumstances, which are the same circumstances Israel is in now, an adversary who attacked them first and wants to completely destroy their country. The only people who object to the blockade of the south in the Civil War are neo Confederate douchebags, kind of like pro Hamas douchebags are doing with this.

I've never heard anyone suggest what they think Israel should be doing differently here besides sitting on their hands and letting Hamas kill and rape the entire population with impunity. Which if it happened wouldn't generate 1% of the outrage from the same people complaining about this, gee I wonder why?

You didn't read the text close enough.

Solely killing people isn't genocide.

There has to be an "intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group".

Normally, "intention" is very hard to prove, but Israel officials are brazen enough to speak out loud about their crimes.

Israel’s intention is obvious with their illegal settlements. They are going to displace everyone in Gaza and replace them with Israeli settlers. The West Bank is next on their to-do list, and Bibiden will support them full-heartedly every step of the way.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2024, 03:47:29 AM »

Mike Johnson

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7SEkqmvDEp/

The US Government simply not putting up with Khan's idiocracy, with one level of threats. If the ICC pushes forward withbit's plans, then a second level of threats will emerge.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2024, 09:49:54 AM »

Mike Johnson

The US Government simply not putting up with Khan's idiocracy, with one level of threats. If the ICC pushes forward withbit's plans, then a second level of threats will emerge.

The US is empowering its adversaries like Russia and China with its idiotic attacks on international laws.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2024, 09:59:48 AM »

Mike Johnson

The US is empowering its adversaries like Russia and China with its idiotic attacks on international laws.

Neither one of those countries is a party to the ICC and Russia actively defies it. And if the ICC is participating in a campaign of antisemitic persecution, it should be delegitimized.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2024, 10:41:27 AM »

This is indefensible. Netanyahu hasn't even tried to hide his real intentions, with his second-in-commands outright saying the quiet part out loud.

As I have said, the most dangerous thing that has happened to American-Israeli relations is the right-wing hijacking of Israeli interests. There's a pretty clear middle ground between "Israel should just eat sh*t and take it" and "drive Palestinians out of Palestine".
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2024, 10:48:26 AM »

Mike Johnson

Neither one of those countries is a party to the ICC and Russia actively defies it. And if the ICC is participating in a campaign of antisemitic persecution, it should be delegitimized.
How is punishing criminals like Netanyahu antisemitic?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2024, 12:25:37 PM »

Mike Johnson

He's not an international criminal, this antisemitic court just lied and twisted the facts to create a fake case against him designed to create a precedent that will allow them to kidnap any Israeli with impunity. They won't be allowed to. Hope that helps.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2024, 12:32:39 PM »

Mike Johnson

He's not an international criminal, this antisemitic court just lied and twisted the facts to create a fake case against him designed to create a precedent that will allow them to kidnap any Israeli with impunity. They won't be allowed to. Hope that helps.

You do realize that the incredibly broad and usually incorrect manner that you use words like Nazi and antisemite leads to them losing their meaning, right?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2024, 12:40:05 PM »

I don’t think the ICC is anti semitic , just anti American . It’s yet another international organization set up by Europeans who want to pretend they have more influence then they do and get buthurt when other nations refuse to abide by them
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2024, 12:49:31 PM »

I don’t think the ICC is anti semitic , just anti American . It’s yet another international organization set up by Europeans who want to pretend they have more influence then they do and get buthurt when other nations refuse to abide by them
“They’re anti-American” because they issued an arrest warrant against the leader of a country that isn’t America. 10/10 logic no notes
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2024, 12:50:38 PM »

“They’re anti-American” because they issued an arrest warrant against the leader of a country that isn’t America. 10/10 logic no notes

They have tried to investigate American figures before but we just responded with reminding them of The Hague invasion act .

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2024, 01:00:28 PM »

Mike Johnson

Now-a-day, anyone and anything that Israel's government doesn't like is "antisemitic".

You and others did a big disservice to any Jews who are experiencing antisemitism in the traditional sense.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2024, 01:02:09 PM »

They have tried to investigate American figures before but we just responded with reminding them of The Hague invasion act .

Oh my mistake then because clearly it’s not possible those figures did something wrong and the ICC is just out to get us
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2024, 01:12:43 PM »

Oh my mistake then because clearly it’s not possible those figures did something wrong and the ICC is just out to get us

International law as a concept is lol worthy and completely misunderstands what laws are about to begin with . Like no our definition of acceptable foreign policy actions is not the same as Western Europe and we should not be bound by it .

It’s not useful against Putin either because if he ever fell , he’d be tried by whoever replaced him to begin with or extradited to ukraine so it’s not like you need these courts to begin with .
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2024, 01:16:49 PM »

International law as a concept is lol worthy and completely misunderstands what laws are about to begin with . Like no our definition of acceptable foreign policy actions is not the same as Western Europe and we should not be bound by it .

It’s not useful against Putin either because if he ever fell , he’d be tried by whoever replaced him to begin with or extradited to ukraine so it’s not like you need these courts to begin with .
Didn’t realize the Nuremberg Trials were a joke
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2024, 01:21:30 PM »

The trial was conducted by the victors , not some international court .
Rubensim
Rookie
Malta

« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2024, 01:23:54 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2024, 01:27:21 PM by Rubensim »

Honestly i got to admit the ICC just seem useless, Putin have had a warrant for like a year now and he still doing as he does freely, Like yeah he can't visit some countries but well they wouldn't have welcomed him either way without or with the warrant and remember when south Africa basically made a spectacle of how there not going to arrest Putin for visiting them
And don't forgot the numerous African warlord that also have warrants against them and still haven't been arrested
So this warrant against Benjamin and Sinwar feel like it will do nothing again and with the fact the American government might be cooking sanction against the ICC in congress might even hurt the ICC greatly.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2024, 01:27:20 PM »

I think it's antisemitic to fetishize Jews like some right-wingers/evangelicals do. It's like the creepy boy who stalks the girl on social media at 2:12 in the morning. You know who you are
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2024, 01:28:38 PM »

You do realize this was the Nazi argument right? That they were only being tried because they lost? Literally the whole point about the trial was about the fact it wasn’t the victor’s punishing the defeated but that the Nazis objectively committed crimes they needed to held accountable for
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #146 on: May 23, 2024, 01:38:17 PM »

You do realize this was the Nazi argument right? That they were only being tried because they lost? Literally the whole point about the trial was about the fact it wasn’t the victor’s punishing the defeated but that the Nazis objectively committed crimes they needed to held accountable for

If we used the standard the ICC uses then we’d have had to try ourselves too for Dresden and Tokyo which would be absurd .

Anyway a trial by victors doesn’t make a trial unjust at all . For example if Putin completely lost , it would not make it any less unjust for Putin to be tried by a Ukrainian court then it would be for him to be given to the ICC .
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #147 on: May 23, 2024, 01:59:23 PM »

The fact that you still think this argument helps your case is laughable.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #148 on: May 23, 2024, 02:01:24 PM »

If we used the standard the ICC uses then we’d have had to try ourselves too for Dresden and Tokyo which would be absurd .

Anyway a trial by victors doesn’t make a trial unjust at all . For example if Putin completely lost , it would not make it any less unjust for Putin to be tried by a Ukrainian court then it would be for him to be given to the ICC .
Uh the analogy would be more Russia trying Zelensky and other Ukrainian leaders if they successfully did seize Kyiv and intended to do with the claim of "denazifying" Ukraine.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #149 on: May 23, 2024, 02:04:14 PM »

The fact that you still think this argument helps your case is laughable.

If we go by the standards of the ICC then literally every post WW2 president with the possible exceptions of ford and carter could be tried by the ICC .

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies