Trump floats third term at NRA convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 07:38:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Trump floats third term at NRA convention
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Trump floats third term at NRA convention  (Read 1548 times)
Duke of York

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2024, 04:17:55 PM »

If Trump wins and does a good job in his second term then I will gladly support him if he wants a third term. There might be a way around the 22nd Amendment by nominating a puppet Republican nominee and putting Trump in as VP and market the ticket as Trump's 3rd term. Then if they win, the President resigns, and Trump takes power. This would likely have to go to court because the 22nd Amendment talks about being "elected" specifically but not necessarily the office itself.  

If Trump wins and he likely will Republicans will ignore the 22nd amendment and nominate him for a third term if he wants it.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2024, 04:22:20 PM »

If the loophole is allowed, I don't see how it's not supporting the constitution.
Supporting a Trump third term in any way is unconstitutional.

Also, if Trump is allowed to be president for a third term, do you think that he will ever leave office? Yeah right.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2024, 04:24:55 PM »

If Trump wins and does a good job in his second term then I will gladly support him if he wants a third term. There might be a way around the 22nd Amendment by nominating a puppet Republican nominee and putting Trump in as VP and market the ticket as Trump's 3rd term. Then if they win, the President resigns, and Trump takes power. This would likely have to go to court because the 22nd Amendment talks about being "elected" specifically but not necessarily the office itself. 

If Trump wins and he likely will Republicans will ignore the 22nd amendment and nominate him for a third term if he wants it.

We live in interesting times. We’ll have to take a look.
Duke of York

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2024, 04:36:03 PM »

We live in interesting times. We’ll have to take a look.

more like scary times. A Trump win seems likely.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2024, 07:22:54 PM »

This is absurd.  The Constitution stipulates that you can't be elected Vice President if you're not eligible to be elected President.  Trump would be ineligible to be elected President and thus cannot be elected Vice President.

It's abundantly clear.  I'm really not interested in you even defending it because it's so absurd.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2024, 09:03:33 PM »

That violates everything our country stands for. No.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2024, 09:30:34 PM »

It won't matter because Trump is gonna lose the freaking out on the Forum is Overkill
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2024, 10:20:59 PM »

Anyone who says this hates democracy and hates America.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2024, 10:31:04 PM »

Anyone who says this hates democracy and hates America.

Agreed, regardless of party or candidate. This would create a quasi-dictatorship. I'm not for the 22nd Amendment, but, going around it and creating puppet Presidents....just feels dirty.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2024, 08:37:30 AM »

Lol...

Anyway, the safer option here would be Trump running as VP this year and the prez immediately resigns on January 20. Then he could run for prez again and would have reached the constitutional limit.

That said, he'll be totally senile by 2028 anyways and - if allowed to run for reelection - would probably lose a 2008 style landslide.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2024, 09:08:46 AM »

I trought most americans actually wanted term limis for congress members...
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2024, 01:47:34 PM »

If Trump wins and does a good job in his second term then I will gladly support him if he wants a third term.

Trump won the first time and didn't do a good job and you're still supporting him again so this is a dubious assertion. More like you'll support him no matter what he does because you're a cult member.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2024, 01:48:46 PM »

I trought most americans actually wanted term limis for congress members...

Traditionally that was what most conservatives wanted in fact, but I guess being Trump's b**** is more important than actual ideas at this point.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2024, 02:40:25 PM »

You know, FDR 16 years — almost 16 years — he was four terms. I don’t know, are we going to be considered three-term? Or two-term?

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/18/trump-at-nra-convention-floats-a-three-term-presidency-00158786

Cant wait to be gaslit for the next four years about how he’s “only joking” and “just being Trump,” only for him to stay in power past January 20, 2028 due to election “irregularities” and defending a third term on the basis of an obscure interpretation of the 22nd amendment.
As I pointed out before, he could run as the VP and force the president to resign, or get the speakership and force both president and VP to resign.
"An obscure interpretation of the 22nd Amendment" like what?

I've decided to use the 22nd to demonstrate to people who don't know the difference between a political opinion and a legal opinion what the difference is.
"I'm entitled to my opinion."
Me: "You're entitled to your political opinion,  you're not entitled to have whatever legal opinion you want to have."
"What's the difference?"
Me: "A political opinion is an opinion a person has about what the law SHOULD BE. A legal opinion is an opinion about what the law IS. Take the 22nd Amendment: if you think it was a mistake and it should be repealed, so that presidents, in the future, can run for third terms and fourth terms and even fifth terms, that is your political opinion and you have a right to think that and to speak about it to try to persuade other people to agree with you. Or you can believe the opposite, which is that the 22nd was an excellent idea, it should not be repealed. You have a right to either of those political opinions. But if you have an opinion that nothing has to be done to the 22nd in order to give a former President - say, Barack Obama - the chance to run for President again, that is a legal opinion of yours. If you think Joe Biden might withdraw from the election this year, soon, and at the Democratic National Convention, the party can - it would be permissible to - nominate Obama, and he could get elected to a third, nonconsecutive term, then that would not be your political opinion, it would be your legal opinion; you are not entitled to have that opinion. Almost everyone else would tell you that you are wrong, you don't know what you're blathering about, and that you are making a fool of yourself. You simply don't have a right to think that and to say it. That's the difference between a political opinion and a legal opinion."
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2024, 11:52:25 PM »

This is absurd.  The Constitution stipulates that you can't be elected Vice President if you're not eligible to be elected President.  Trump would be ineligible to be elected President and thus cannot be elected Vice President.

It's abundantly clear.  I'm really not interested in you even defending it because it's so absurd.
The big underlining thing here is whether one can be constitutionally eligible to become President without being constitutionally eligible to be elected President. Because the 22A specifically mentions elected. I think it's worth at least taking it up with the SCOTUS beforehand to see if its allowed or not. If not, then Trump officially can't have a third term and the MAGA movement will get the opportunity to unite around someone else.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies