Trump to hold rally in the South Bronx
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 11:41:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Trump to hold rally in the South Bronx
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Trump to hold rally in the South Bronx  (Read 2297 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2024, 09:02:24 PM »

As someone who has been to Crotona Park many times, a crowd of a couple thousand is nothing. More people than that pass through that park daily. In May and June you could see more people than that (mostly kids and their teachers) from school outings on a given day (at the end of the school year)

Are we going with "a couple thousand?" That's...pretty underwhelming given everything.

I know they've revised his Wildwood NJ rally down from "80-100k" to "30-40k" but 40k is nothing to sneeze at and if he had that in New York City it'd be pretty impressive.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2024, 09:08:24 PM »

There's also this idea from people who haven't been in places like the Bronx, parts of Brooklyn, Harlem, Washington Heights, etc. that the people there love gangbangers like the rappers who appeared with Trump onstage at that rally. The vast majority of New Yorkers, especially in the Black and Hispanic neighborhoods, hate those types with the fire of a thousand suns. They are the cause of crime in the city. For every teenager and young adult who wants to be a gangbanger, there are at least 10-15 people who want to see them get theirs.

Disclosure: I've worked in those neighborhoods pretty much my adult life. Virtually every parent of children I've worked with in NYC schools fears the possibility and dreads the thought of their child turning out the way those rappers at the Trump rally turned out
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2024, 10:02:50 PM »

There's also this idea from people who haven't been in places like the Bronx, parts of Brooklyn, Harlem, Washington Heights, etc. that the people there love gangbangers like the rappers who appeared with Trump onstage at that rally. The vast majority of New Yorkers, especially in the Black and Hispanic neighborhoods, hate those types with the fire of a thousand suns. They are the cause of crime in the city. For every teenager and young adult who wants to be a gangbanger, there are at least 10-15 people who want to see them get theirs.

Disclosure: I've worked in those neighborhoods pretty much my adult life. Virtually every parent of children I've worked with in NYC schools fears the possibility and dreads the thought of their child turning out the way those rappers at the Trump rally turned out
You're 100% correct.

Rappers like Sheff G & Sleepy Hallow are clowns (and literal criminals). They're also the type of gangbangers that conservatives rail against all of the time in "leftist hellhole cities".

But I guess that supporting the orange buffoon makes everything OK? LOL.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2024, 10:12:50 PM »

Literally who?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2024, 11:15:28 PM »

Whenever there’s a prominent black Trump supporter, they frequently seem to fall into one of the two following camps:

1. Black people who are disconnected from the “mainstream” black community and have social groups that are mostly white. Quite a few current black Republican politicians seem to fall into this category.

2. Black people who are part of the more toxic elements of hip-hop and gang culture. There have been quite a few rappers who fall into this category who have endorsed Trump but all of them seem to have some pretty significantly personal issues.

Both of these groups are pretty disconnected and often despised by the “mainstream” black community.

My theory for 2024 is that the “black community” doesn’t really budge, but the “black community”’s dominance on influencing black voters is increasingly waning as many find primary homes in other communities, especially with the rise of social media and greater upward mobility for some blacks. As these black voters become more disconnected from the black community, they behave politically more like the new communities that are more dominant in their lives.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2024, 01:50:42 AM »

The Bronx would also be a pretty large city in its own right were it not a borough of NYC. Almost 1.5 million people live there. There are only 6 cities in the US other than NYC that have a greater population than the Bronx. Trump gets larger crowds in suburbs with a fraction of the population the Bronx has. He got a crowd 5-6 times this size at Wildwood which is a fraction of the size of the Bronx (and I'll tip my hat to that, that actually was impressive).

The Bronx actually has more people living in it than San Diego or Dallas. If Trump got a crowd of a couple thousand in Dallas we'd be laughing at him

Additionally NYC is very dense so just because he's holding a rally in the Bronx doesn't mean there won't be a significant number of people from the other NYC boroughs, Westchester County, or North Jersey

I'd wager at least 2/3 of the crowd was white--most of them were not from the Bronx. Maybe Throggs Neck, which is in the Bronx, but most probably from the suburbs or Staten Island.

Let's put it this way; if he could have filled Madison Square Garden he would have asked for a rally there with his buddy James Dolan instead of a crowd 1/10 the size in the Bronx

I doubt people from SI were traveling to the Bronx for Trump. Maybe from Manhattan getting to the Bronx is no issue, but it's a pain in the a** from elsewhere. No one goes to the Bronx unless they work there.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2024, 06:48:23 AM »

It's entirely possible that most of the crowd was from the Bronx.  Trump got 67K votes there in 2020.  That was only 16% of the vote, but even a small percentage of a large number is a large number.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2024, 07:32:40 AM »

Trump is not here to win the Bronx, he is here to show that he cares about black people, unlike Biden. Blacks who could be decisive in Virignie and especially in PA. The suburbs also like a candidate who speaks to all of America. Therefore, Biden is expected to hold a rally in a rural county.

Media coverage was good, mission accomplished
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2024, 09:41:40 AM »

Trump is not here to win the Bronx, he is here to show that he cares about black people, unlike Biden. Blacks who could be decisive in Virignie and especially in PA. The suburbs also like a candidate who speaks to all of America. Therefore, Biden is expected to hold a rally in a rural county.

Media coverage was good, mission accomplished

WTF is "Virignie"? Trump doesn't about Black people. I don't have to get into history again but he is the mostly openly anti-Black President since Wilson
Duke of York

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2024, 10:08:25 AM »

Since Trump did this. Biden should counter by having a rally in say West Virginia or North Dakota.
iceman
United States

« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2024, 10:19:58 AM »

Since Trump did this. Biden should counter by having a rally in say West Virginia or North Dakota.

Trump going to south Bronx is him riding on the narrative that he is making inroads with AAs and Hispanics as what polling and the MSM media suggests. Biden going to West Virginia would be nonsensical as there are no talks about him making inroads with rural whites nor the polls are showing so, no evidence to suggest that currently.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2024, 10:26:17 AM »

Trump going to south Bronx is him riding on the narrative that he is making inroads with AAs and Hispanics as what polling and the MSM media suggests. Biden going to West Virginia would be nonsensical as there are no talks about him making inroads with rural whites nor the polls are showing so, no evidence to suggest that currently.

It still makes no sense to go to an area you aren't going to win in a state you aren't going to win. Trump lost the Black vote in his own primary to Haley if precinct analysis is accurate so polling is not to believed.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2024, 10:33:37 AM »

Local ABC News reported about a thousand rally goers, mostly with out of state license plates, and about a hundred counterprotesters, virtually all from NYC. The rally was astroturfed, as I suspected
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2024, 10:37:08 AM »

Local ABC News reported about a thousand rally goers, mostly with out of state license plates, and about a hundred counterprotesters, virtually all from NYC. The rally was astroturfed, as I suspected

1000 attendees seems pretty horrible and as suspected they weren't local.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2024, 10:41:52 AM »

People it´s 2024. Look at DRA. South Bronx is mostly latino nowadays, altorught there is still a good share of non latino blacks living there and also afro-latinos (like Torres).
Maybe Trump could use the situation to release a #AfroaltinosXTrump shirt or something like that.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2024, 11:40:56 AM »

People it´s 2024. Look at DRA. South Bronx is mostly latino nowadays, altorught there is still a good share of non latino blacks living there and also afro-latinos (like Torres).
Maybe Trump could use the situation to release a #AfroaltinosXTrump shirt or something like that.

I'm sure this was unintentional, but it would be very on-brand for them to release a shirt with a misspelling on it.  Related:

Look at the smaller print carefully. Smiley
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2024, 12:22:29 PM »

In 1980, Reagan held a campaign event in the South Bronx to try and gain Black and Latino support, just a couple blocks from the park where Trump was giving his speech yesterday:

It didn't work at all for Reagan, and this Trump stunt won't either.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2024, 12:39:50 PM »

In 1980, Reagan held a campaign event in the South Bronx to try and gain Black and Latino support, just a couple blocks from the park where Trump was giving his speech yesterday:

It didn't work at all for Reagan, and this Trump stunt won't either.

Reagan won NY so thats not a good analogy and also if you go by exits he had the best ever performance for a GOPer among Hispanic voters.

https://web.archive.org/web/20220920003705/https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2004-nov-04-na-latinos4-story.html

Bush’s share of the Latino vote represents the best performance by a Republican presidential candidate in 20 years, since President Reagan won the support of 46% of Latinos in his 1984 reelection campaign. At that time, the pool of Latino voters was much smaller.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2024, 12:50:05 PM »

A person I know who lives in the Bronx went. She is age 26, and a working class white worker (city worker), Bronx native. Hasn't voted much before. She described it is "It was good. Crowded but good." She also isn't someone who is particularly dishonest with me. She isn't sure whether or not she is voting at all, or for Trump yet, but is unhappy with the economy.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2024, 12:56:28 PM »

It's entirely possible that most of the crowd was from the Bronx.  Trump got 67K votes there in 2020.  That was only 16% of the vote, but even a small percentage of a large number is a large number.

If crowd sizes actually mattered, Bernie would have won the nomination in 2020 in a cakewalk.
Duke of York

« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2024, 01:09:04 PM »

It still makes no sense to go to an area you aren't going to win in a state you aren't going to win. Trump lost the Black vote in his own primary to Haley if precinct analysis is accurate so polling is not to believed.

This kind of thinking is why Democrats don’t do well in rural areas or some states. Many Democratic candidates for statewide office in 2022 went to rural areas and it helped with margins and possibly downballot too. I’m not saying ignore swing states just do a visit. Show people you care about them.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2024, 01:15:21 PM »

Reagan won NY so thats not a good analogy and also if you go by exits he had the best ever performance for a GOPer among Hispanic voters.

https://web.archive.org/web/20220920003705/https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2004-nov-04-na-latinos4-story.html

Bush’s share of the Latino vote represents the best performance by a Republican presidential candidate in 20 years, since President Reagan won the support of 46% of Latinos in his 1984 reelection campaign. At that time, the pool of Latino voters was much smaller.
OK, so multiple things:

1. In 1980, Reagan won New York State overall (barely) but NOT New York City (and he lost handily in the Bronx).

2. That exit poll you posted was for 1984 NOT 1980.

3. He was not only trying to appeal to Latino voters but Black voters as well. Reagan did dreadful with Black voters in both of his elections.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2024, 01:17:18 PM »

OK, so multiple things:

1. In 1980, Reagan won New York State overall (barely) but NOT New York City (and he lost handily in the Bronx).

2. That exit poll you posted was for 1984 NOT 1980.

3. He was not only trying to appeal to Latino voters but Black voters as well. Reagan did dreadful with Black voters in both of his elections.

Didn't Reagan win New York in 1980 mainly due to John Anderson? I think Carter would have kept the state in a one-on-one race, like others in the region (especially Massachusetts). However, the 1980s were a different time and it's de facto impossible to win 40+ states for either side.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2024, 01:27:12 PM »

The crowd size was about as big as what a free concert for a cover band would get
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2024, 01:34:16 PM »

Didn't Reagan win New York in 1980 mainly due to John Anderson? I think Carter would have kept the state in a one-on-one race, like others in the region (especially Massachusetts). However, the 1980s were a different time and it's de facto impossible to win 40+ states for either side.
Yes, John B. Anderson did siphon away some voters from Carter, and that also contributed to Reagan's narrow plurality win in the state.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies