Does Talk Elections have a Discord server? If not, why not?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:56:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Does Talk Elections have a Discord server? If not, why not?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does Talk Elections have a Discord server? If not, why not?  (Read 439 times)
Obama24
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2024, 02:52:19 AM »

See above.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 04:53:43 AM »

There are some, i was in a few but my account got locked and now i don't have the links
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 02:37:27 PM »

The Atlas community on discord is fairly fractured, especially in 2024.

The server that used to be the "main" server has slowed down and a lot of left and center-left people have migrated elsewhere, but it's still going and may eventually become busier and more diverse politically.

Lokcord 2.0 :
( 7 days limit 25 user limit invite link )
https://discord.gg/E7sM62g4
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 05:46:53 PM »

There are many, depending on the clique. And the more Atlas-related servers you have on your sidebar, the cooler you are.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 06:54:47 PM »

There should be a rule that prohibits these "cords" altogether. Not a single poster improves by joining one of those communities - they just become part of an echo chamber hivemind and turn hostile. Even worse, many of them have "popular" cliques that bully posters into aligning their opinions with more extremist mindsets. People are always asking why the quality of discourse has gone done so much over the last few years, and there's your obvious answer.

Since Discord isn't going to help enforce the rule, the only choice is to autoban anyone who participates in one.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2024, 07:21:24 PM »

There are a few, but I'm banned from all of them for "dooming" (read: saying what I believe).
You don't see any blue avatars now
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2024, 07:50:19 PM »

There are a few, but I'm banned from all of them for "dooming" (read: saying what I believe).
I say what I believe (read: "doom") too, and while I've picked my servers, I left the ones I am no longer a member of out of my own accord. While part of me wants to say that's a skill issue, the more reasonable part of me realizes that this is a double standard.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2024, 07:51:19 PM »

There should be a rule that prohibits these "cords" altogether. Not a single poster improves by joining one of those communities - they just become part of an echo chamber hivemind and turn hostile. Even worse, many of them have "popular" cliques that bully posters into aligning their opinions with more extremist mindsets. People are always asking why the quality of discourse has gone done so much over the last few years, and there's your obvious answer.

Since Discord isn't going to help enforce the rule, the only choice is to autoban anyone who participates in one.
Trying to control what a individual can join outside this website is nonsensical.

Given numerous mods are on those cords.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2024, 09:49:12 PM »

I would strongly argue that continued problematic behavior by long-time and prolific posters (including but not limited to habitual sock makers) has facilitated the rise and proliferation of Leipverse Discord servers.

There is a lot of value in having Leipverse-affiliated spaces that aren't visible to the public, especially for sharing more personal information that isn't strictly elections or psephology related. The only one I'm aware of that isn't a Discord server is AAD, which arose out of some sort of disagreement with the mid-2010s US Elections Atlas forum mods over moderation standards.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2024, 10:40:36 PM »

Trying to control what a individual can join outside this website is nonsensical.
So you oppose when we ban members of Stormfront from posting here? It's one thing to disagree with banning members of Discord in particular, but obviously we can and do ban people for their off-forum activities and memberships generally.

Yeah, obviously my dream isn't going to happen, and it's too bad. This used to be a wonderful internet community were, despite our political differences, we mostly got along, were cordial and thoughtful with one another. It's impossible to pinpoint an exact time when that changed, but it's easy to see it was around the time a lot of people decided to pigeonhole themselves into Discord echo chambers and rile each other up. The negative, combative, hostile atmosphere that pervades this forum nowadays didn't exist before then, and I wish we could go back to that time.

Requiring all communication of this community to be out there in the open for anyone to read would be a great step to restoring it. I mean, I don't even know half of the "lore" here nowadays because all these developments happen on other sites!
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2024, 11:19:53 PM »

"They just turn into a hivemind echo chamber" isn't my experience at all. Lokcord and Lokcord 2.0 for example have (in some cases previously had) users like OSR and DeadPrez and PSOL and iBizzBee all coexisting and not brainwashing one another. It's basically a social club for Atlas and Atlas-adjacent people.

What you're calling for is like a local bar banning social groups of people who intially met at the bar for daring to socialize somewhere together outside the bar. Very bizarre IMO.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2024, 11:21:06 PM »

Requiring all communication of this community to be out there in the open for anyone to read would be a great step to restoring it

Bruh...
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2024, 11:27:06 PM »

Requiring all communication of this community to be out there in the open for anyone to read would be a great step to restoring it

Bruh...

I think we should be able to FOIA all forum PMs between any two posters, don't you?
Liminal Trans Girl
Lawer
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2024, 11:44:24 PM »

You got banned from Leftcord for saying that the US should be nuked
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2024, 12:24:07 AM »

So you oppose when we ban members of Stormfront from posting here? It's one thing to disagree with banning members of Discord in particular, but obviously we can and do ban people for their off-forum activities and memberships generally.

Yeah, obviously my dream isn't going to happen, and it's too bad. This used to be a wonderful internet community were, despite our political differences, we mostly got along, were cordial and thoughtful with one another. It's impossible to pinpoint an exact time when that changed, but it's easy to see it was around the time a lot of people decided to pigeonhole themselves into Discord echo chambers and rile each other up. The negative, combative, hostile atmosphere that pervades this forum nowadays didn't exist before then, and I wish we could go back to that time.

Requiring all communication of this community to be out there in the open for anyone to read would be a great step to restoring it. I mean, I don't even know half of the "lore" here nowadays because all these developments happen on other sites!

Than join this :

https://discord.gg/YCzMzrUh
quesaisje
Electric Circus
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2024, 10:17:18 AM »

This used to be a wonderful internet community were, despite our political differences, we mostly got along, were cordial and thoughtful with one another. It's impossible to pinpoint an exact time when that changed, but it's easy to see it was around the time a lot of people decided to pigeonhole themselves into Discord echo chambers and rile each other up. The negative, combative, hostile atmosphere that pervades this forum nowadays didn't exist before then, and I wish we could go back to that time.

My perspective on this forum only goes back to the first Obama term, when I started posting from my original account, but I don't see Discord as the leading contributor to this change. The forum has had cliques for longer than I have been around, and those groups have always socialized in other online spaces (AIM, AAD, IRC, etc.).

I see at least two other big differences. Trump changed how people talk about politics. And social media changed how people think about relationships. So, for example, cliques here are more ideologically sorted because cliques everywhere are more ideologically sorted. Discussion here is more hostile and guarded because discussion everywhere is more hostile and guarded.

Are there any online spaces that have adapted to this without going mostly private? I'm not sure. I have my pet complaints, but I keep returning to this site because I have never found an alternative space for these discussions. But I can't tell you how sad it makes me when I log in to a site where I once looked forward to reading posts from people like Mr. Morden and Lewis and instead see it swamped with engagement bait and gutter-level social sniping.
Mardigroppa
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2024, 11:07:56 AM »

By all means, if there are cool ones with a lotta people, chatting, and interests, I'd love to know. I know I was in one of the originals back in 2019 and such, but didn't get back on.

Definitely need a political server to join on, the more political views, the merrier to me. Since I too remember when communities had people of all types. Been in too many high level places in other communities where clique hiveminds formed (granted a lot of them are left-wing or European types that cannot rationalize any American decision ever).
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2024, 12:48:02 PM »

What a bizarre thing to say, especially considering how many people here have formed friendships through this website that go well beyond the forum itself.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2024, 03:57:37 PM »

I don’t see the point. Why would we divide our time between here and an objectively worse medium for group discussions?
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2024, 06:10:05 PM »

I don’t see the point. Why would we divide our time between here and an objectively worse medium for group discussions?

The publicly visible forum proper is that toxic, although Discord can be a decent platform for group discussions if moderators are willing to enforce a culture of using threads to herd discussion of specific (sub)topics. From what I’ve seen, the 90:10:1 rule of the Internet also applies to Leipverse Discord servers.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies