on Atlanta Radio Interview, Biden Says Trump "hurt black people every chance he got"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:03:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  on Atlanta Radio Interview, Biden Says Trump "hurt black people every chance he got"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: on Atlanta Radio Interview, Biden Says Trump "hurt black people every chance he got"  (Read 664 times)
GAinDC

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2024, 09:41:24 AM »

Yesterday, POTUS called into Atlanta radio station, V-103, which is the most popular Black radio station in the city. I'd encourage you to listen to the interview on YouTube. My takeaways:

- Despite hand wringing over Georgia, it seems like the Biden campaign still sees it in play as he is doing interviews for local media and plans to give the commencement address at Morehouse this weekend.

- His team may also be a little worried about his upcoming address at Morehouse being interrupted by protestors, and this interview may be to help soften the ground ahead of time.

- Biden sounds pretty sharp. He probably had notes, but he made a really solid case why the Biden/Harris administration has been good for African Americans, and what Trump did that was harmful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk0S-pfj0iY
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 09:46:24 AM »

Yawn. Trump black future is inevitable
iceman
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2024, 09:49:19 AM »

Biden campaign fearmongering AAs. An overused strategy by the democrats since reconstruction.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2024, 09:57:03 AM »

He’s not wrong.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2024, 01:48:22 PM »

Trump refused to rent to Black tenants, tried to incite a lynch mob against the Central Park Five, repeatedly questioned Obama's citizenship, etc. But you all Trump supporters say he's not racist because he dated a Black woman (when did this even happen?).
quesaisje
Electric Circus
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2024, 01:56:42 PM »

Was it just me, or was there no discussion of what Biden hopes to accomplish in a second term, aside from keeping Trump out of office?

It wouldn't be the first Biden interview to omit what is usually a staple of re-election campaigns. He had solid answers, but this is an important question left unanswered (and unasked).
GAinDC

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2024, 02:06:31 PM »

Was it just me, or was there no discussion of what Biden hopes to accomplish in a second term, aside from keeping Trump out of office?

It wouldn't be the first Biden interview to omit what is usually a staple of re-election campaigns. He had solid answers, but this is an important question left unanswered (and unasked).

It was a short interview so I'm guessing they couldn't cover everything

Biden does need to talk more about what he wants to do for a second term, but right now the biggest threat to his reelection is the public not realizing all that his administration has done.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2024, 02:46:05 PM »

Biden does need to talk more about what he wants to do for a second term, but right now the biggest threat to his reelection is the public not realizing all that his administration has done.

There isn't really any vision or goal for a second term, none that has been communicated in any real way. This says to me that what he does have planned will prove deeply unpopular. I'm predicting possibly American boots on the ground in Ukraine after the election, and perhaps an even harder pivot to appeasing the academic left.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2024, 03:04:08 PM »

Weird aahh $4/gallon gas, race relations at an all time low, and people working 2-3 jobs to make ends meet fetish.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2024, 03:27:23 PM »

His silly tax cuts which lowered the Corporate taxes from 35/21 gave special handouts to oil Corporation, we need to repeal all of his tax cuts and give out targeted tax cuts to middle class
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2024, 03:44:42 PM »

Biden has emphasized a lot that his second term agenda will require a Democratic House and Senate, to begin with.
quesaisje
Electric Circus
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2024, 05:15:49 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2024, 05:19:39 PM by Electric Circus »

Biden has emphasized a lot that his second term agenda will require a Democratic House and Senate, to begin with.

Of course it will. But voters don't know what that vision is. Biden doesn't do that many interviews and most of them are short. I think it's a mistake for him not to use that valuable time talking about how that second term could make an affirmative difference in people's lives.

There's an argument that he's better off avoiding the Bernie-inspired mistake of promising voters the moon, ignoring both political and fiscal realities. But this is matter of finding middle ground. His people are over-correcting.

There's also an argument that Obama secured re-election mostly by clowning on Mitt Romney and defending his first-term achievements. But Obama killed OBL, brought a bunch of American troops home, and greatly improved US relations with much of the world. On the home front, he passed the Affordable Care Act and (albeit slowly) brought us out of the darkest days of the Great Recession.

I don't think Biden's first term measures up to that. The world looks scarier than it did four years ago. His big domestic spending bills are not as big a deal as the Affordable Care Act to most voters. The biggest national policy change of the past four years came not from the White House, but from a Republican Supreme Court. He's achieved some things worth talking about, and he does a good job of that in this interview, but the vision behind his 2020 campaign was that we could get back to normal.

The vision behind Biden's 2020 campaign was a grand battle for the soul of the nation. That's an unfulfilled promise. It's also an awkward one, with Trump not just running for reelection, but making it back into the general and apparently remaining competitive, despite an attempt to seize power on his way out.

So maybe we need a new vision. But there needs to be something.

GAinDC

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2024, 05:50:17 PM »

Of course it will. But voters don't know what that vision is. Biden doesn't do that many interviews and most of them are short. I think it's a mistake for him not to use that valuable time talking about how that second term could make an affirmative difference in people's lives.

There's an argument that he's better off avoiding the Bernie-inspired mistake of promising voters the moon, ignoring both political and fiscal realities. But this is matter of finding middle ground. His people are over-correcting.

There's also an argument that Obama secured re-election mostly by clowning on Mitt Romney and defending his first-term achievements. But Obama killed OBL, brought a bunch of American troops home, and greatly improved US relations with much of the world. On the home front, he passed the Affordable Care Act and (albeit slowly) brought us out of the darkest days of the Great Recession.

I don't think Biden's first term measures up to that. The world looks scarier than it did four years ago. His big domestic spending bills are not as big a deal as the Affordable Care Act to most voters. The biggest national policy change of the past four years came not from the White House, but from a Republican Supreme Court. He's achieved some things worth talking about, and he does a good job of that in this interview, but the vision behind his 2020 campaign was that we could get back to normal.

The vision behind Biden's 2020 campaign was a grand battle for the soul of the nation. That's an unfulfilled promise. It's also an awkward one, with Trump not just running for reelection, but making it back into the general and apparently remaining competitive, despite an attempt to seize power on his way out.

I think you're overthinking it. Campaigns for a second term are usually about building on the successes of the first term while also reminding people why they elected the candidate in the first place.

Since it's a rematch, I think that second part is most important right now.
quesaisje
Electric Circus
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2024, 06:02:35 PM »

I think you're overthinking it. Campaigns for a second term are usually about building on the successes of the first term while also reminding people why they elected the candidate in the first place.

This would be more convincing if Biden had positive approvals and not a disapproval margin of around 15 points. The turnout-focused messaging is important but a strong campaign would offer both.

I don't mean to dump on this interview too much, but this is what I hear from him in every interview. Stern and the one he did for network television a few days ago are the same, at least in the clips that audiences can access without paying a subscription fee.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2024, 06:08:30 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2024, 06:14:06 PM by Obama24 »

Trump, if he was more eloquent, could easily have this election in the bag:

"Joe Biden promised to restore the soul of the nation. As we see this was yet another false promise from the lips of Lyin' Joe Biden. The nation stands four years later poorer, more divided than ever, our border in shambles. Americans are more in debt than ever, more at odds than ever, poorer than ever, more in danger than ever. The world stands at all times under Joe Biden at the brink of nuclear war. Under his watch we had a disgraceful retreat from Afghanistan, we are watching Russia win in Ukraine, we are being bullied by both Israel and Gaza. American dollars don't go as far as they did just five years ago. Americans can't put food on their tables while Sleepy Joe and his minions in the big cities give out handouts to undocumented migrants. Old Joe and his cronies in Washington haven't restored the soul of America, they've pummeled it in a way not seen since the days of malaise under Jimmy Carter. Ask yourself a question: Were you better off under Trump or under Biden? Did you feel safer under Trump, or under Biden? Under whose leadership could you afford your rent, your mortgage, your groceries? When was it that America last felt strong? When was it that America last felt proud? Under whose leadership was America at peace and under whose leadership was America prosperous? In your hearts you know the answer - and the answer isn't Joe or Kamala."
GAinDC

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2024, 06:12:27 PM »

This would be more convincing if Biden had positive approvals and not a disapproval margin of around 15 points. The turnout-focused messaging is important but a strong campaign would offer both.

I don't mean to dump on this interview too much, but this is what I hear from him in every interview. Stern and the one he did for network television a few days ago are the same, at least in the clips that audiences can access without paying a subscription fee.

I agree he needs to communicate more of a vision, but this is a “quick hit” interview where he needs to make a hard sell and create a contrast between him and Trump.

This is also to a largely Black audience that probably cares less about what his vision is (since they’re mostly loyal Dems and aren’t seriously torn between him and Trump) and more about what his administration has done for the Black community, which was his focus.
GAinDC

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2024, 06:19:57 PM »

"Joe Biden promised to restore the soul of the nation. As we see this was yet another false promise from the lips of Lyin' Joe Biden. The nation stands four years later poorer, more divided than ever, our border in shambles. Americans are more in debt than ever, more at odds than ever, poorer than ever, more in danger than ever. The world stands at all times under Joe Biden at the brink of nuclear war. Under his watch we had a disgraceful retreat from Afghanistan, we are watching Russia win in Ukraine, we are being bullied by both Israel and Gaza. American dollars don't go as far as they did just five years ago. Americans can't put food on their tables while Sleepy Joe and his minions in the big cities give out handouts to undocumented migrants. Old Joe and his cronies in Washington haven't restored the soul of America, they've pummeled it in a way not seen since the days of malaise under Jimmy Carter. Ask yourself a question: Were you better off under Trump or under Biden? Did you feel safer under Trump, or under Biden? Under whose leadership could you afford your rent, your mortgage, your groceries? When was it that America last felt strong? When was it that America last felt proud? Under whose leadership was America at peace and under whose leadership was America prosperous? In your hearts you know the answer - and the answer isn't Joe or Kamala."

Even at his most eloquent, Trump is still asking Americans to check their moral compass and their sense of decency at door while also risking our democratic norms, in the hopes that he MIGHT make some progress on these issues (doubtful).

I think most voters, even if they don’t like Biden, won’t take that deal — even some Republicans.

But anyway, this thread has meandered. Let’s get back on topic.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2024, 06:26:31 PM »

Even at his most eloquent, Trump is still asking Americans to check their moral compass and their sense of decency at door while also risking our democratic norms, in the hopes that he MIGHT make some progress on these issues (doubtful).

I think most voters, even if they don’t like Biden, won’t take that deal — even some Republicans.

I think you overestimate the moral compass of America. We are a nation that elected a guy who was a skirt chasing serial philanderer over a relatively decent but boring WWII hero because we felt our wallets were lighter. We elected Trump the first time for...reasons...despite actual audio of the man, on tape, saying you can sexually assault a woman if you're rich coming out just days before the election. Democracy is an abstraction when people feel their wallets are on the line. Americans like tangible things they can grasp, wrap their hands around. Democracy isn't really tangible to your average American unless there's an actual tangible threat to it. But issues of inflation, rent, mortgages, etc - those, to Americans, might as well be what democracy means.

As to the topic, I don't know that Trump or Biden really made major strides for the Black community. Trump doesn't care and Biden did a lot of gestures but nothing of substance.
GAinDC

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2024, 06:43:16 PM »

I think you overestimate the moral compass of America. We are a nation that elected a guy who was a skirt chasing serial philanderer over a relatively decent but boring WWII hero because we felt our wallets were lighter. We elected Trump the first time for...reasons...despite actual audio of the man, on tape, saying you can sexually assault a woman if you're rich coming out just days before the election. Democracy is an abstraction when people feel their wallets are on the line. Americans like tangible things they can grasp, wrap their hands around. Democracy isn't really tangible to your average American unless there's an actual tangible threat to it. But issues of inflation, rent, mortgages, etc - those, to Americans, might as well be what democracy means.

As to the topic, I don't know that Trump or Biden really made major strides for the Black community. Trump doesn't care and Biden did a lot of gestures but nothing of substance.

I disagree with this argument and the premise that Biden hasn’t done enough but you have a right to your opinion
quesaisje
Electric Circus
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2024, 06:59:10 PM »

The interview does this well. It's not long, so you should listen to it. It's also not that different from the list he's been going through for other audiences. One detail he mentions is how destructive Trump's lockdowns were for black-owned businesses.
Octowakandi
Octosteel
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2024, 10:02:01 PM »

Biden has a problem. He doesn’t talk about second term plans but when he does, they’re usually something absurd like his capital gains tax proposal where the only defense was that it was a pie in the sky empty promise in the first place.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2024, 10:57:54 PM »

Remember that Trump’s 2020 vote share increase among black voters was more because of decreased turnout among this group than people flipping from D to R (in fact, 2020 exit polls indicated that only 1% of black 2016 Clinton voters flipped to Trump in 2020). The decrease in turnout can be attributed to Democrats not reaching out to this group as much as they did before, along with the fact that most blacks have traditionally preferred Election Day voting over absentee voting (the latter of which dominated the 2020 election).
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2024, 11:23:49 PM »

Remember that Trump’s 2020 vote share increase among black voters was more because of decreased turnout among this group than people flipping from D to R (in fact, 2020 exit polls indicated that only 1% of black 2016 Clinton voters flipped to Trump in 2020). The decrease in turnout can be attributed to Democrats not reaching out to this group as much as they did before, along with the fact that most blacks have traditionally preferred Election Day voting over absentee voting (the latter of which dominated the 2020 election).

Yeah, dems didn't reach out to black voters at all in 2020 where BLM dominated the news. They definitely did not bend over backwards to win their vote
cherry mandarin
HL23

P
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2024, 12:09:04 AM »

Remember that Trump’s 2020 vote share increase among black voters was more because of decreased turnout among this group than people flipping from D to R.

Black turnout went up, not down, between 2016 and 2020.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies