BREAKING: Slovak PM Robert Fico wounded/shot in the stomach in apparent assassination attempt
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 04:37:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  BREAKING: Slovak PM Robert Fico wounded/shot in the stomach in apparent assassination attempt
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: BREAKING: Slovak PM Robert Fico wounded/shot in the stomach in apparent assassination attempt  (Read 3043 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2024, 02:59:41 PM »

I knew Woody would be all over it.

Slovak Assassination Attempt

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6_pjNkNu5l/
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2024, 03:08:09 PM »

The best evidence seems to suggest that he is some sort of fascist or right wing populist. Yet some people seem to be giddy about a crackdown against the liberal opposition, which would not even be right if the man was purporting to serve a liberal cause and is outright ridiculous if he wasn't.

What evidence?
his own writings trashing migrants?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2024, 03:11:24 PM »

The best evidence seems to suggest that he is some sort of fascist or right wing populist. Yet some people seem to be giddy about a crackdown against the liberal opposition, which would not even be right if the man was purporting to serve a liberal cause and is outright ridiculous if he wasn't.

What evidence?
his own writings trashing migrants?

Source of those writings...

I mean people try to make fun of me but you're all not great with sources either...

Anyone can say anything.
Rubensim
Rookie
Malta

« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2024, 03:15:06 PM »

I hope this guy recovers and the perpetrator is put to swift justice
No matter the ideology or disagreements you have, trying to murder somebody just because you don't agree with them is completely unacceptable.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2024, 03:31:00 PM »

The writings don't have a source, they are the source,
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2024, 03:35:16 PM »

Doubtless he’ll respond that I’m trying to suppress his opposing point of view, but can Laki perhaps be muted from this thread? This a textbook example of derailing a thread, and it’s particularly bad because this is a fast-moving story on which I’m sure many of us would appreciate updates free from all this clutter.

Muted from the thread for 24 hours for derailing it even if he wasn’t the sole derailer.
RGM2609
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2024, 03:35:52 PM »

The writings don't have a source, they are the source,
Yeah don't bother. He'll moan about actually informed posters publishing real-time news about the incident and attacker. Then he'll share tweets from a page that now took a break from openly accusing Ukraine of trying to assassinate human trashcan Fico to warn us all that the "Great Solar Flash" is coming.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2024, 04:31:41 PM »

"As we've been reporting, Robert Kalinak, Slovak minister of defence, and Matus Sutaj Estok, minister of interior, have given a news conference, updating the media on Prime Minister Robert Fico's state of health.

They also spoke strongly about the "hatred sown" by the media and people "railing at other people" on social media."

"Parliament was sitting at the time of the attack and Slovak media reported that a party colleague of Fico's shouted at opposition MPs, accusing them of stoking the attack."

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-69016687?src_origin=BBCS_BBC

What are the odds of a false flag operation (like Petit Clamart in France) in order to justify repression of media and opposition?
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2024, 04:54:34 PM »

Okay, so it looks like Fico will likely survive. He's out of surgery, which has reportedly gone well. As much as I disagree with his political views, political violence is unacceptable no matter which side does it. We should be better than this as progressives.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2024, 05:39:55 PM »

Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2024, 06:33:24 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2024, 06:41:04 PM by Red Velvet »

A post of mine was moderated in this thread under some supposed “trolling” justification, which I think it just evidences the liberal biased censorship going on.

Let’s put it this more detailed way, if it were a liberal main leadership like Joe Biden being shot with murder intentions in the USA, very specific things would be said about the motivation of the shooter and the discourse would be completely dominated about how “ideological extremists” are responsible for increased political violence just based on very natural speculations.

But because the guy being shot was an ex-communist; current socdem nationalist that appeals to non-liberal sectors of the right and left; people cannot speculate that it was a violent liberal who shot the guy?

You guys work with a very incorrect “left-right axis” premise that liberalism is somehow the “moderate educated center” and therefore it cannot ever become extreme or violent. That’s why you believe I was trolling when I was clearly not.

Reality is, EVERY existing ideology can be extreme whenever it becomes too inflexible (that includes liberalism yeah) and every ideology can always resort to violence in order to achieve its goals. The truth never works under a “Black vs White” simplistic lens that automatically assumes one side is always inherently evil and the other side is always good.

CNN itself characterizes the attack against PM Fico as “politically motivated”. So it’s nothing out of this world to speculate that the person who would feel politically motivated to shoot that specific PM would be in the opposite side of the political spectrum as him, aka: a liberal. Shockingly, they can be evil too sometimes and admitting it is no big deal.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2024, 07:07:39 PM »

A post of mine was moderated in this thread under some supposed “trolling” justification, which I think it just evidences the liberal biased censorship going on.

Let’s put it this more detailed way, if it were a liberal main leadership like Joe Biden being shot with murder intentions in the USA, very specific things would be said about the motivation of the shooter and the discourse would be completely dominated about how “ideological extremists” are responsible for increased political violence just based on very natural speculations.

But because the guy being shot was an ex-communist; current socdem nationalist that appeals to non-liberal sectors of the right and left; people cannot speculate that it was a violent liberal who shot the guy?

You guys work with a very incorrect “left-right axis” premise that liberalism is somehow the “moderate educated center” and therefore it cannot ever become extreme or violent. That’s why you believe I was trolling when I was clearly not.

Reality is, EVERY existing ideology can be extreme whenever it becomes too inflexible (that includes liberalism yeah) and every ideology can always resort to violence in order to achieve its goals. The truth never works under a “Black vs White” simplistic lens that automatically assumes one side is always inherently evil and the other side is always good.

CNN itself characterizes the attack against PM Fico as “politically motivated”. So it’s nothing out of this world to speculate that the person who would feel politically motivated to shoot that specific PM would be in the opposite side of the political spectrum as him, aka: a liberal. Shockingly, they can be evil too sometimes and admitting it is no big deal.
It got moderated because you baseless tried to blame Ukraine for it you vatnik troll
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2024, 08:35:12 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2024, 10:24:24 AM by afleitch »

A post of mine was moderated in this thread under some supposed “trolling” justification, which I think it just evidences the liberal biased censorship going on.

It got moderated because you baseless tried to blame Ukraine for it you vatnik troll

There wasn’t even ANY mention of the country of Ukraine as an actor, only speculation of a liberal attacker who could be against Fico’s stance against sending weapons to Ukraine and have this as a motivation as it’s something that the attacked leader is known for and got heavily criticized about in the European context.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2024, 09:08:41 PM »

There wasn’t even ANY mention of the country of Ukraine as an actor you fanatic, only speculation of a liberal attacker who could be against Fico’s stance against sending weapons to Ukraine and have this as a motivation as it’s something that the attacked leader is known for and got heavily criticized about in the European context.
Which was completely baselessly and even more embarrassing on your behalf seeing as you called Fico one of your favorite leaders meaning you’d be aware of the domestic controversy he’s facing that a hypothetical “liberal” assassin would be more concerned about.
RGM2609
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2024, 10:37:12 PM »

Even if he survives, would he be in any way fit to lead a country in the aftermath?
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2024, 10:45:42 PM »

Even if he survives, would he be in any way fit to lead a country in the aftermath?

If doctors determine his mental capacity hasn’t been materially affected, then yes.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2024, 04:47:19 AM »

Of course in the chaos of the situation it’s difficult to do things properly, but a well-known security expert and former director of government bodyguards’ office is on TV now and absolutely trashing Fico’s security detail for not following procedures and what he describes as staggering incompetence.

Another one. Former national police chief says “so far, it looks like a total failure of PM’s security.”

The police inspection office has started an official inquiry into the bodyguards’ actions. According to analysts, they weren’t following their own rules about interactions with crowds when Fico was meeting the people, they did not jump in to protect him after the man started shooting, Fico’s car wasn’t ready, there weren’t paramedics on standby even though it was a huge event with all of cabinet and dozens of other people and there was improper security when he was being taken to hospital. One Czech security expert said “if these were my people, I’d send them back to training.”
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2024, 05:08:18 AM »

A post of mine was moderated in this thread under some supposed “trolling” justification, which I think it just evidences the liberal biased censorship going on.

There wasn’t even ANY mention of the country of Ukraine as an actor you fanatic, only speculation of a liberal attacker who could be against Fico’s stance against sending weapons to Ukraine and have this as a motivation as it’s something that the attacked leader is known for and got heavily criticized about in the European context.
Which was completely baselessly and even more embarrassing on your behalf seeing as you called Fico one of your favorite leaders meaning you’d be aware of the domestic controversy he’s facing that a hypothetical “liberal” assassin would be more concerned about.
The kinds of people who seek to assassinate politicians usually don't care as much about potential backlash. Its baseless to say a hypothetical liberal assassin could be presumed to hold public opinion to be so important that he wouldn't even try to do the act.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2024, 07:16:38 AM »

Can we please delete tweets from Musk's desinformation network that come from accounts that also feature posts like "Zelensky continues to sacrifice Ukrainian youth for his Western handlers"?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2024, 07:26:16 AM »

At this point it looks likely the shooter was a nationalist guy whose political attitudes changed after Putin's invasion of Ukraine.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2024, 07:30:03 AM »

The police inspection office has started an official inquiry into the bodyguards’ actions. According to analysts, they weren’t following their own rules about interactions with crowds when Fico was meeting the people, they did not jump in to protect him after the man started shooting, Fico’s car wasn’t ready, there weren’t paramedics on standby even though it was a huge event with all of cabinet and dozens of other people and there was improper security when he was being taken to hospital. One Czech security expert said “if these were my people, I’d send them back to training.”

The footage of the shooting is bizarre. Fico had far more muscle around him than I've ever seen around a British politician - or even a British royal - and they just... didn't do anything? As if they were there for decorative purposes. Surreal.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2024, 07:30:45 AM »

It would be very surprising if in polarized and divided Slovakia, there wasn't a single anti-government rally that featured such slogans.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2024, 07:49:26 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2024, 07:53:38 AM by Red Velvet »

At this point it looks likely the shooter was a nationalist guy whose political attitudes changed after Putin's invasion of Ukraine.

So a far-right Ukrainian supporter. Okay, so I was only half-correct then. The shooter was not a liberal, but was Pro-Ukrainian.

Not surprising as there are lots of these types of “False Liberal Conservatives” emerging. In USA he would likely be one of those Bush neocon extremists that now have become Anti-Trump because they see the “New Right” as something against Western interests.
RGM2609
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2024, 07:50:17 AM »

The footage of the shooting is bizarre. Fico had far more muscle around him than I've ever seen around a British politician - or even a British royal - and they just... didn't do anything? As if they were there for decorative purposes. Surreal.
Guess his bodyguards didn't care much for him either
RGM2609
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2024, 07:53:39 AM »

The shooter being pro-Ukrainian doesn't prove anything, other than him having an IQ above 90.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies