Anchorage Mayor - Independent Flip?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 02:58:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Anchorage Mayor - Independent Flip?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anchorage Mayor - Independent Flip?  (Read 744 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2024, 06:53:27 AM »

While everyone was asleep or watching Maryland,  a regular two-party election was held in Alaskas biggest city. As of right now Independent (backed by local Dem politicians and voters) Suzanne LaFrance leads incumbent Republican Dave Bronson. LaFrance currently leads by almost 10 points, or 5K votes. All votes are not yet counted, so watch this space in the coming days, but many sites expect that margin to be too large to overturn. If victorious, LaFrance will be the first woman elected mayor.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 07:10:56 AM »

Another sign of Alaska’s leftward drift. Anchorage is about 40% of the Alaskan electorate.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 03:09:01 PM »

While everyone was asleep or watching Maryland,  a regular two-party election was held in Alaskas biggest city. As of right now Independent (backed by local Dem politicians and voters) Suzanne LaFrance leads incumbent Republican Dave Bronson. LaFrance currently leads by almost 10 points, or 5K votes. All votes are not yet counted, so watch this space in the coming days, but many sites expect that margin to be too large to overturn. If victorious, LaFrance will be the first woman elected mayor.

I actually forgot about this race even though I browsed the Wikipedia page not too long ago because I was following the primaries in Maryland.

Suzanne LaFrance is probably the winner of this race considering the margin so far.

How many cities do you think will elect their first women mayors this year?
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 05:47:16 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2024, 06:42:33 PM by Not Me, Us »

Could be a potential statewide contender down the line, maybe as an independent-but-caucuses-with-Democrats. Although that never worked out for Al Gross.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 05:55:07 PM »

Could be a potential statewide contender down the line, maybe as an independent-but-causes-with-Democrats. Although that never worked out for Al Gross.

Nah, I think they'll just go with actual Democrats. Peltola's victories proved that having a candidate having a (D) next to their name doesn't doom them statewide the way that it would in many other red states.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2024, 11:36:04 PM »

Could be a potential statewide contender down the line, maybe as an independent-but-causes-with-Democrats. Although that never worked out for Al Gross.

Nah, I think they'll just go with actual Democrats. Peltola's victories proved that having a candidate having a (D) next to their name doesn't doom them statewide the way that it would in many other red states.

Yeah, you just need to run the right campaign, convince people you have their interests at heart, and enough won't care about the letter next to your name, especially in a less polarized state like AK.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2024, 01:12:11 AM »

Bronson is by all accounts a nut, having tried to end fluoridation of the water and very openly saying he wouldn't take the vaccine, even defending those trying to compare mask mandates to Nazi Germany.

If he's losing by this much in a normally 50-50 city, it's not a surprise given that.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2024, 06:25:59 AM »

Simple update. It's now a 8 point gap, but there's not too much left, and the 5k net gap persists...
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2024, 08:04:05 AM »

It's fairly obvious LaFrance has won, but there are still votes left.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies