The end of free soda refills in America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 05:33:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The end of free soda refills in America
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: The end of free soda refills in America  (Read 1413 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2024, 12:26:29 AM »

Yeah I'm sure McDonald's staff will be policing the soda fountain. Looking forward to the Worldstar videos in Democratic cities about that.

WTF does this word salad of a post even mean? Lol!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2024, 12:29:13 AM »

The stupidity about this is that sodas cost literally next to nothing. The cup is about as expensive as the syrup and water mix to create it. It's why McDonald's has historically lost money on every single sandwich or french fries they've sold, because they make the money up selling Coke at nearly a 1000% markup from its actual cost. That's been their business model for over half a century.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2024, 12:30:27 AM »

I drink Diet Coke (so just chemicals instead of sugar or calories), but if I'm out watching a game or something at a sports bar with free refills, I probably wind up drinking 10 glasses over a few hours.  If you're just sipping on it, you lose count.

This is honestly an argument for drinking alcohol. Whatever its many health disadvantages, at least you can’t ‘lose count’ and ‘accidentally’ end up having ten beers in one sitting.

Sadly, I have many clients who would disagree with you.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2024, 12:33:11 AM »

I drink Diet Coke (so just chemicals instead of sugar or calories), but if I'm out watching a game or something at a sports bar with free refills, I probably wind up drinking 10 glasses over a few hours.  If you're just sipping on it, you lose count.

This is honestly an argument for drinking alcohol. Whatever its many health disadvantages, at least you can’t ‘lose count’ and ‘accidentally’ end up having ten beers in one sitting.

My sweet summer child
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2024, 06:04:37 AM »

The stupidity about this is that sodas cost literally next to nothing. The cup is about as expensive as the syrup and water mix to create it. It's why McDonald's has historically lost money on every single sandwich or french fries they've sold, because they make the money up selling Coke at nearly a 1000% markup from its actual cost. That's been their business model for over half a century.

I had a guy that donated a lot of money to my party "rich off the internet" talk about some work he'd done in the energy drink industry where there's a thousand items out there and said the business model is all based off marketing to become a successful niche-level product, and then sell for a fortune to either Coke or Pepsi who buy out all these startups just to not lose market share.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2024, 06:20:01 AM »

What better way to bring that profit up in the minds of the higher ups at McDonald’s to get more money to investors. Never enough money so they have to punch down and wring as much as they can with price hikes while blaming it on inflation instead of being greedy
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2024, 08:47:38 AM »

This must be a joke.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2024, 09:12:45 AM »

Sadly, I have many clients who would disagree with you.

Yes, but I presume ER does not consider himself to have the same relationship to Coke as your clients have to alcohol.

Uh, even pretty serious heavyweights will be, as they say, feeling the effects by the time they get to ten pints.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2024, 09:20:30 AM »

My experience from being able to observe rather closely in a very specific environment is that alcoholics generally know exactly how much they're drinking at least at a bottle, can or pint glass level, it's just that they have a rather distorted understanding of what the words 'normal' and 'safe' mean.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2024, 11:19:52 AM »

Uh, even pretty serious heavyweights will be, as they say, feeling the effects by the time they get to ten pints.

Thus the losing count.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2024, 11:21:41 AM »

Thus the losing count.

"...but after 10 shots of Jose Cuervo...

...I lost count and started counting again."

Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2024, 11:41:25 AM »

Thus the losing count.

Unless you happen to have been a prepubescent Tory, in which case your memories of pint count will be clear as crystal:

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk/2000/aug/09/thatcher.williamhague
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2024, 12:12:26 PM »

Thus the losing count.

Unless you happen to have been a prepubescent Tory, in which case your memories of pint count will be clear as crystal:

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk/2000/aug/09/thatcher.williamhague

What a hero.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2024, 02:55:59 PM »

Personally McDonalds is a once in awhile stop and I never sit down to eat so refills don't apply to me. But I can't imagine getting a refill of the drink because it usually last me a few hours. With drive thru and to go orders I'm guessing that free refills are profitable anymore. Plus you have the app where you can place an order and pick it up which means even fewer sit down diners.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2024, 02:57:41 PM »

Glad to see Palestine protesters may lose a few pounds.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2024, 05:43:25 AM »

McDonalds is still super-cheap if you make efficient use of their deals and coupons in their app.

You can come across good deals once in awhile, but it certainly does not come out to super-cheap (except perhaps the breakfast deals). The problem with the app deals is that you can only use one at a time. They replaced their dollar/value menu with these so-called deals. When they stopped selling $1 sodas last year, they replaced it with an app deal. So, you used to be able to use a deal for whatever you wanted and get a soda for $1. Now, you have to choose one or the other, which means you're paying more.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2024, 05:44:41 AM »

Am amazed that a thread about GASP the end of free soda refills is three pages. Says a lot about America.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2024, 06:32:09 AM »

Am amazed that a thread about GASP the end of free soda refills is three pages. Says a lot about America.

Valid point, but you're missing the main point here: corporate greed and greedflation.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2024, 08:44:37 AM »

McDonalds is still super-cheap if you make efficient use of their deals and coupons in their app.

You can come across good deals once in awhile, but it certainly does not come out to super-cheap (except perhaps the breakfast deals). The problem with the app deals is that you can only use one at a time. They replaced their dollar/value menu with these so-called deals. When they stopped selling $1 sodas last year, they replaced it with an app deal. So, you used to be able to use a deal for whatever you wanted and get a soda for $1. Now, you have to choose one or the other, which means you're paying more.

And why should anyone have to play a mobile game in order to get a reasonable deal at McDonald's? Lmao.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2024, 12:09:23 PM »

Personally McDonalds is a once in awhile stop and I never sit down to eat so refills don't apply to me. But I can't imagine getting a refill of the drink because it usually last me a few hours. With drive thru and to go orders I'm guessing that free refills are profitable anymore. Plus you have the app where you can place an order and pick it up which means even fewer sit down diners.

I went a very long time without eating there. Now I have small kids...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies