Is lingering trauma from 2020 a big factor this year?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:28:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is lingering trauma from 2020 a big factor this year?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Is lingering trauma from 2020 a big factor this year?  (Read 670 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2024, 09:36:13 PM »

It is a rematch of a presidential election that happened during a year we would all rather forget, after all.

I suspect this might also factor into the “vibecession.”
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2024, 10:03:48 PM »

Oh absolutely. This is in dispute?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 10:59:03 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2024, 11:07:59 PM by Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers »

Not me I know how it works that rural votes come in first and urban votes come in last and Provisions ballots go 2/1 D they said last time in VBM make sure you are patient in PA, WI and MI with Biden because Provision ballots always go to Ds if it's close

Most of Trump leads are 3 percent that's 150 K votes

This isn't 2004 where Kerry lost OH there was a SSM ban but a lot of users I don't know haven't been Eday clerks especially Trump Toupee and Redban and doesn't know it works.

I served most of my adult life as an Eday clerk common sense urban votes have Provisions ballots, and most clerks are Ds not Rs because of the urban not rural vote

That's why you have these crazy polls out there like Redfield and MC polls and PVI like Marist and QU out there some people think Trump or the Economic wing of the R party is paying R pollsters to report Trump winning, it says MC/Economy Trump isn't ahead in every swing state it's impossible
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2024, 11:36:13 PM »

You would think that would be helping Biden more, no?
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2024, 11:47:16 PM »

The COVID stimulus Trump passed is led to inflation that happened entire on Biden’s watch, and now the higher interest rates and worsening labor market are following from that, all being blamed on Biden.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2024, 11:51:19 PM »

Somehow a big question of the election seems to be who was President in 2020
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2024, 11:55:21 PM »

Nah. Overall it’s millennial hopelessness. First election where this phenomenon is really making a difference.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2024, 02:04:40 AM »

Also, I feel that people are in a rush to declare Trump the victor, we still have to vote, just like yesterday a poll of Redfield came out and everyone declared Biden dead and now a poll comes out today showing Biden.

Lol people are bored and just assume Trump is gonna be Prez and he isn't
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2024, 02:11:27 AM »

Nah. Overall it’s millennial hopelessness. First election where this phenomenon is really making a difference.

Disagree. I think that was big problem in the 2016 election too.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2024, 03:35:44 AM »

Off by six days.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2024, 09:19:43 AM »

The opposite imo. 2020 was Trump's worst year by far for many reasons, and a lot of people want to just memoryhole that entire year - so Trump's worst issues - COVID, George Floyd, leading into 1/6, etc., are basically all forgotten because people want to forget 2020/peak COVID entirely.
GAinDC

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2024, 09:23:26 AM »

On social media, the Biden campaign has been doing a lot of "four years ago today..." to remind voters of Trump's worst moments during the beginning of COVID.

Later this month and into the summer, I'm sure they will do a lot of posts about how Trump handled the mass protests.

Not sure how effective it will be, but I think it's a good strategy
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2024, 09:25:43 AM »

I think the answer to this is clearly no TBH.  If voters really wanted to relitigate/avenge COVID stuff, DeSantis would have beaten Trump and would be the R nominee.  That didn't happen.  Also, both the strictest and least strict on COVID governors won reelection easily in 2022.  Also, Biden was actually popular for the first ~6 months of his term while COVID remained a top issue.  Everything suggests people have moved on to new issues.   
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2024, 09:30:20 AM »

In a sense, yup.

I think the issue is - at least that was the case for me - that 2020 still felt like a disappointment because it took so long for the election being called and on November 4 and 5 it seemed like Trump may actually pull it off again. Also, Biden didn't do as well as expected and Dems underperformed downballot. That was especially diappointing since we thought pollsters had fixed their problems and were more accurate compared to 2016 (but ended up being worse).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2024, 09:33:37 AM »

In a sense, yup.

I think the issue is - at least that was the case for me - that 2020 still felt like a disappointment because it took so long for the election being called and on November 4 and 5 it seemed like Trump may actually pull it off again. Also, Biden didn't do as well as expected and Dems underperformed downballot. That was especially diappointing since we thought pollsters had fixed their problems and were more accurate compared to 2016 (but ended up being worse).

I see you fail to critique Harris she went to FL to open up an office on abortion, and Scott is 15 pts ahead of Powell, she is doing nothing but hurt the ticket, if Trump picks Haley he can indeed win

I see the usual pollster Solid and brucejoel aren't defending her like they did last time. Where is Obama whom campaign for Harris

Id Ds nominate Harris not Newsom in 28 they will repeat 2016 for sure.  But, I am critical of her look at the polls I am still voting for her but she isn't the best choice
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2024, 09:35:35 AM »

On social media, the Biden campaign has been doing a lot of "four years ago today..." to remind voters of Trump's worst moments during the beginning of COVID.

Later this month and into the summer, I'm sure they will do a lot of posts about how Trump handled the mass protests.

I'm not convinced it's the right move. Nobody wants to be reminded of 2020.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2024, 09:37:00 AM »

If Trump pick Haley not Burgum Harris will be a liability instead of an asset like Pence was. I don't even know why Trump is considering Burgum
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2024, 10:21:33 AM »

I think the answer to this is clearly no TBH.  If voters really wanted to relitigate/avenge COVID stuff, DeSantis would have beaten Trump and would be the R nominee.  That didn't happen.  Also, both the strictest and least strict on COVID governors won reelection easily in 2022.  Also, Biden was actually popular for the first ~6 months of his term while COVID remained a top issue.  Everything suggests people have moved on to new issues.   

That’s my point. People don’t want to be reminded of 2020 even implicitly, and a Trump vs Biden rematch is an implicit reminder.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2024, 04:30:51 PM »

It's a good strategy. It shouldn't be necessary, but clearly Americans need Trump's handling of the pandemic, and other nightmares from his first term, pounded in their heads incessantly.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2024, 04:40:40 PM »

It's a good strategy. It shouldn't be necessary, but clearly Americans need Trump's handling of the pandemic, and other nightmares from his first term, pounded in their heads incessantly.

This won’t work when it comes to younger voters. Younger voters don’t know anything before Trump. When Covid hit, they were just kids. Trump was a figure in the distance.

All they know now, is what they know now. And it’s in their view, Biden’s establishment persona. And Gaza. The economy.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2024, 04:43:02 PM »

This won’t work when it comes to younger voters. Younger voters don’t know anything before Trump. When Covid hit, they were just kids. Trump was a figure in the distance.

All they know now, is what they know now. And it’s in their view, Biden’s establishment persona. And Gaza. The economy.

He can pursue a different strategy for young voters. A campaign doesn't speak to only one demographic at once. They can walk and chew gum at the same time.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2024, 07:31:25 AM »

Anyway, vibecession is a great way to put it. The vibes are just bad; simple as. I find myself, emotionally, caring remarkably little about this election, even though I know it is objectively extremely important that Biden win and will do everything in my power to help that happen. Even my Trumpy acquaintances seem weirdly demoralized and unconcerned, and those people normally treat everything with about the degree of urgency of a Nancy Pelosi SMS message. Bad vibes!
AlterEgo

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2024, 07:37:04 AM »

Young voters don't vote anyway.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2024, 01:16:06 PM »

Young voters don't vote anyway.

Yeah, I think it's going to be us older millennials, and maybe older voters in general, if Biden is truly improving among them, to save the nation.
robocop
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2024, 01:29:43 PM »

Well then this should boost the Kennedy campaign if that is the case.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies