If Biden loses fairly, should he concede, or should he use the military to remain in power?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:41:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  If Biden loses fairly, should he concede, or should he use the military to remain in power?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If Biden loses fairly, should he concede, or should he use the military to remain in power?
He should use the military / any other means to remain in power

He should concede

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: If Biden loses fairly, should he concede, or should he use the military to remain in power?  (Read 436 times)
Obama24
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2024, 06:09:37 PM »

In another thread, for the sin of saying Biden should speak in favor of peace should he lose - in essence, arguing should he actually adhere to the constitutional process and not act in the lawless manner Trump did when he lost - I was called "cucked", for wanting the division in this country to lessen; for wanting Biden to be a better man than Trump was.

So let's now have the debate, then.

If Biden loses in November in a fair race, should he concede the election, or ignore the result and use the military or other means to hold power?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2024, 06:11:22 PM »

Obvious Option 2 vote is obvious.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 07:20:31 PM »

While there's a sicko part of me that would love for him to go full dictator mode, I'd prefer it if he conceded. I'd rather not give Trump an excuse.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2024, 07:22:14 PM »

If is doing the heavy operating here.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2024, 01:51:46 AM »

He should gracefully concede, allowing Trump's second running mate to assume office as President in January 2025.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2024, 02:22:35 AM »

Of course he should concede, but it might as well be the last time Democrats are the adults taking the high road.

When a second term Trump destroys even more guardrails and precedent, Democrats need to follow suit.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2024, 03:30:58 AM »

Obvious no to "We must destroy democracy in order to save democracy"
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2024, 10:13:14 AM »

There's the rub.  Democrats won't accept any election Biden loses as legitimate.  There will always be Russian interference, voter suppression, racism, the conservative judiciary, and the electoral college to blame when Republicans win elections.  This has been the case for over 20 years now.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2024, 10:23:21 AM »

There's the rub.  Democrats won't accept any election Biden loses as legitimate.  There will always be Russian interference, voter suppression, racism, the conservative judiciary, and the electoral college to blame when Republicans win elections.  This has been the case for over 20 years now.

Buddy, have you looked in a mirror recently?
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2024, 10:38:36 AM »

I hope that the 9 people who answered 1 are trolling.
quesaisje
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2024, 04:16:28 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2024, 04:19:55 PM by Electric Circus »

There's no way for Biden to leave office without many members of his party regarding him as a quisling. Trump deprived us of our tradition of doing otherwise on 1/6. (The contingent that tried to override the results in 2000, 2004, and 2016 is going to be a hell of a lot louder after that stunt.) But it's not as if Biden has another option.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2024, 05:13:44 PM »

If Biden loses the election, constitutionally and legally, he should absolutely concede and subsequently urge massive resistance to the Trump administration.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2024, 10:04:57 PM »

If Biden loses the election, constitutionally and legally, he should absolutely concede and subsequently urge massive resistance to the Trump administration.

I think he needs to get the military to hold power for life. I don’t care how much repression comes from it, we need it to save the country from the MAGATs. As long as Trump is alive, Biden cannot leave the White House. We need him. He’s the father of our country.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2024, 10:13:40 PM »

I think he needs to get the military to hold power for life. I don’t care how much repression comes from it, we need it to save the country from the MAGATs. As long as Trump is alive, Biden cannot leave the White House. We need him. He’s the father of our country.

Ok guys, whose sock is this poster
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2024, 10:19:46 PM »

I'm kind of tempted to say that if he loses, this country is finished anyway so it doesn't really matter what he does at that point.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2024, 02:13:35 PM »

Hold up... let him cook.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2024, 10:47:24 AM »

Dems aren't the ones who stormed the capital or filed all those dumb lawsuits after they lost.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2024, 01:37:08 PM »

Obviously concede, otherwise they wouldn't much better than Trump. History will eventually vindicate Democrats.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2024, 01:48:00 PM »

Oh sweet, an Atlas Fed thread!
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2024, 04:20:50 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2024, 04:24:00 PM by progressive85 »

lol I don't think any Democrats are concerned with Biden trying for a coup.  The man is very much a traditional pol of the basic establishment.

And that's a good thing - if you lose as an incumbent, you walk out the door and let the other person in.  You don't conspire and scheme to stay in.  That's how things are done in other countries, but not ours.  

Look at Carter and Reagan...Bush the father and Clinton...Bush the son and Obama...Obama to Trump... these preceding elections were bitterly fought, but the men themselves had to put it aside to allow for a transition.

The office of the Presidency is bigger than one man - and George Washington being the first president knew that and likewise he knew what had to be done to start the country off the right way.  That was probably harder to do than one would think - power can be very corrupting.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2024, 11:04:21 PM »

I'm kind of tempted to say that if he loses, this country is finished anyway so it doesn't really matter what he does at that point.

Yep. Option 1 is a military dictatorship under the Biden family, the second a military dictatorship under the Trump family. Both represent the death of democracy with no real material difference. A clear Biden victory is the only way.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies