Does it blow your mind Truman is still the last Democrat to name a Chief Justice?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 05:44:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Does it blow your mind Truman is still the last Democrat to name a Chief Justice?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does it blow your mind Truman is still the last Democrat to name a Chief Justice?  (Read 1129 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2024, 02:02:15 PM »

No Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court has been appointed since Harry Truman in 1946 named Fred Vinson to the position. Vinson died just a few months into Eisenhower's term, who named liberal Republican Earl Warren to be his successor. Latter initially wanted to retire in 1968, but the senate blocked Lyndon Johnson's effort to elevate Abe Fortas (unrelated but also mindblowing is that Johnson is also the last Democratic president to die, which is 51 years back). So since 1953, there hasn't been a Chief Justice nominated and confirmed by a Democratic president. Including Biden's current term, Democrats held the presidency for 32 years out of that time span.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 02:22:53 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2024, 03:55:22 PM by politicallefty »

It's a fact I already knew, so not so much. Democrats have really had a raw deal with the Supreme Court ever since 1968. There's been a Republican-appointed majority on the Court since 1969. As far as the Court goes, the 1968 election was extremely consequential. If there hadn't been Republican obstruction in 1968, LBJ would've nominated the Chief Justice. Homer Thornberry was set to replace Abe Fortas as Associate Justice. I admit I don't know much about him, though I do know the kinds of Justices LBJ wanted on the Court. That seat ended up going to Harry Blackmun, which I suppose worked out in the end. However, that was only after the Haynsworth and Carswell nominations went down in flames in the Senate (fortunately).

A Democratic victory in 1968 could've locked in at least a 7-2 liberal majority for at least a generation.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2024, 01:59:49 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2024, 04:11:32 PM by Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian. »

Still not as crazy as a Democratic president having not died in over 50 years (LBJ, 1973).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2024, 01:06:28 PM »

Still not as crazy as a Democratic president having not died in over 50 years (LBJ, 1973).
Prior to Walter Mondale in 2021, this applied to Democratic VPs as well.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2024, 09:00:00 PM »

That's really a combination of two things: Republican dominance of the White House from 1969-1993 and both JFK and LBJ dying young. I suppose you can add a third thing and that's the sole Democrat to hold the White House during those years of Republican dominance happens to be the longest-lived President in history.

After Truman and LBJ died (within a month of each other), there were no living former Presidents until Nixon resigned. There were also 21 years between LBJ's death and the next President to die (Nixon).

Prior to Walter Mondale in 2021, this applied to Democratic VPs as well.

Humphrey died in 1978, so that would be just over 43 years. That's still a considerable amount of time though. As far as Democratic VPs go (including two that became President), five died within just a bit more than 12 years (November 1965-January 1978).
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2024, 09:35:33 PM »

No, my mind is not blown by that fact. My mind is kind of "meh" when I am thinking about that fact.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2024, 05:38:39 PM »

Not really. The stars need to kind of align for any President to name the Chief Justice.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2024, 09:39:46 PM »

Slightly surprising, but Chief Justice doesn't really have more power than any other Justice. Just a little more visible, particularly when swearing in the start of a new presidential term.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies