Haley as Trump's potential VP Pick
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:05:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Haley as Trump's potential VP Pick
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Haley as Trump's potential VP Pick  (Read 495 times)
BigVic
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2024, 07:15:51 AM »

How does this affect the election?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 07:53:07 AM »

Would she be willing to serve with someone she claimed was a disgrace and bad for the country?

Probably so.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2024, 08:13:16 AM »

I don't see her as giving Trump any benefits in November. She appeals to a narrow band of the GOP who wasn't for him...Not much else. Trump needs to pick a running mate that expands his favorability beyond his base, not doubles down on it.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2024, 08:13:54 AM »

I don’t think this would be a good move by trump

Not that I dislike Her, but many of his fans really hate her.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2024, 08:26:51 AM »

He has no one else
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024, 08:29:59 AM »

She'd be less offensive compared to many of the other ones, but she risks alienating the diehards. She might make the ticket an easier pill to swallow for reluctant neocons, but it's likely she'll become pro-Trump again, so it's possible she doesn't.
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2024, 09:01:45 AM »

I can't believe how gullible some people are. 99% chance they're "floating" this to get Haley to hop back on the Trump train and "get her in line" with the party. They know well the vast majority of Republican elected politicians do not have strong convictions and will happily turn around and lick the boots of a man who insults her personally.

I'd like to think Haley might hesitate to endorse the same man who mocked her name earlier this year, and accused her supporters of being Democrats. But we've seen time and time again that even the most seemingly sane Republicans are willing to do a complete 180 on this guy the minute he teases them with the allure of power.

Remember this? (From The Hill, https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4461354-haley-says-trumps-remarks-about-her-husband-are-insulting-to-military-families/):

Her husband, Maj. Michael Haley, is currently abroad with the South Carolina National Guard on a yearlong mission. He is being deployed as a staff officer with the 218th Maneuver Enhancement Brigade, which the National Guard states is giving support in the Horn of Africa, The Associated Press (AP) reported.

“What happened to her husband?” Trump asked at the South Carolina campaign event. “Where is he? He’s gone. He knew. He knew.”
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2024, 09:02:53 AM »

Didn’t Don Jr essentially say that Nikki Haley would be VP over his dead body? This could get interesting!
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2024, 09:12:36 AM »

Donald Trump is on trial, and busy with parties, golf and gag-order violations when he's not in the courtroom. His interviews are embarrassing and incoherent. The only campaigning he's done is to solicit bribes. But his campaign knows that all they have to do to get coverage of "serious candidate Trump" is dangle the word "Vice-President" in front of the "news" outlet of their choice.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2024, 09:18:24 AM »

Would she be willing to serve with someone she claimed was a disgrace and bad for the country?
Probably so.

I keep going back-and-forth in my mind, that she would refuse the offer ... but then, somehow be convinced to do it. The whole thing makes your head spin.
LostInOhio
United States
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2024, 09:21:02 AM »

She is probably the choice I would advise him to make, but he is not known for conventional choices. Also, she would also be setting up quite a nasty in-battle in 2028 should Trump win this November as the base hates her.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2024, 09:36:17 AM »

She is probably the choice I would advise him to make, but he is not known for conventional choices. Also, she would also be setting up quite a nasty in-battle in 2028 should Trump win this November as the base hates her.

Lol do you know the Haley was Trump UN Ambassador the Primary is called a rivalry they aren't gonna win anyways , Marist and PPP are still showing Biden leads

It's like mom and son, I had a rivalry with my mom as a kid
mjba257
United States
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2024, 09:38:30 AM »

Didn’t Don Jr essentially say that Nikki Haley would be VP over his dead body? This could get interesting!

Yes because the Trump family is known for their consistency, honesty, and integrity.
Unelectable Bystander
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2024, 09:39:12 AM »

Obviously helps Trump. She is beloved by a certain bloc that is repulsed by Trump and crucial to electoral success. And no, it does not matter that it would make a small group of terminally online “republicans” angry. Trump’s fans already excuse everything he does and this would be no different.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2024, 09:41:30 AM »

Obviously helps Trump. She is beloved by a certain bloc that is repulsed by Trump and crucial to electoral success. And no, it does not matter that it would make a small group of terminally online “republicans” angry. Trump’s fans already excuse everything he does and this would be no different.

She was Trump UN Ambassador it won't help due to fact that it's the same R party that wants giant tax cuts especially for big oil, she was already losing to Biden anyways in some polls before she dropped out, that's why voters turned back to Trump because Haley was doing worse

It's gonna be a small bump and then the polls will go back to Biden just like he is crashing in polls now
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2024, 09:59:14 AM »

Nikki just met with her donors and word was she didn't plan to endorse Trump. Obviously, I wouldn't be surprised if she bent the knee, but that isn't expected.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2024, 10:02:05 AM »

Nikki just met with her donors and word was she didn't plan to endorse Trump. Obviously, I wouldn't be surprised if she bent the knee, but that isn't expected.

Seems like she’s using her leverage really well then . The only way having any leverage works is if you are willing to make it clear that you will not endorse the nominee
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2024, 10:02:26 AM »

It's not gonna matter a great deal
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2024, 10:04:49 AM »

Not sure if this is just "clickbait" reports, but if she wants to be the "Ted Cruz 2.0", go ahead.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2024, 10:08:06 AM »

I don’t like Haley.

But would it be a smart political move by Trump to win over the Haley portion of the party? Otherwise those Haley voters are disenfranchised and lost.
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2024, 10:22:29 AM »

Forget about the Trump trials, a Trump/Haley ticket would be the type of thing that could really, legitimately shake the race. A lot of neocons who hate Trump but are disappointed by Biden's foreign policy might flip to him (Trump) with a Haley VP. But a lot of Obama->Trump and "Drain the swamp" type voters who hate neocons might go to RFK. Would be pretty interesting.
Octowakandi
Octosteel
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2024, 10:44:05 AM »

Trump shoots Haley down on Truth Social.
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2024, 12:31:25 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2024, 12:39:31 PM by Agafin »

"...but I wish her well!"

This has to be the first time in at least a year that Trump has spoken kindly of her. Back in March, even after she had already dropped out and he had no reason to be combative, he still used a mocking tone. This change suggests to me that even if she's not under consideration, he's now actively targeting her voters or her donors at this point.

edit: I've just realized that this might be a case of the Trump campaign trying to trick her into reconciling and endorsing him before dumping her. This would be similar to what he did to Romney in 2016/2017 when pretending he was under consideration for secretary of state (which led to that infamous dinner photo).
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2024, 01:19:58 PM »

"...but I wish her well!"

This has to be the first time in at least a year that Trump has spoken kindly of her. Back in March, even after she had already dropped out and he had no reason to be combative, he still used a mocking tone. This change suggests to me that even if she's not under consideration, he's now actively targeting her voters or her donors at this point.

edit: I've just realized that this might be a case of the Trump campaign trying to trick her into reconciling and endorsing him before dumping her. This would be similar to what he did to Romney in 2016/2017 when pretending he was under consideration for secretary of state (which led to that infamous dinner photo).

Regarding your edit, no doubt Trump would like her endorsement with no strings attached.  However having her join the ticket and keep some dignity would actually get him more mileage in getting elected.  We'll see what he does.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2024, 01:25:20 PM »

It's not happening, Trump obviously doesn't like her anymore. Especially given the fact she dared to stay in so long and not endorse him.

I'm not even convinced she would do more good than harm on this ticket. The best running mate for Trump would be Burgum. An inoffensive and boring conservative with no DC connections who certainly won't outshine him, but scares no one. That's also why I hope he isn't picked.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies