Eurovision controversies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 06:14:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Eurovision controversies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Eurovision controversies  (Read 2572 times)
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2024, 01:41:28 AM »

Not a big Israel enjoyer here, but here's why some of this rubbed me the wrong way (and probably a lot of others, possibly why Israel did so well in the televote)

-The reason most Jews in America and Israel don't live in Europe anymore was not a decision we made. The Europeans protesting this and booing this may well have had ancestors that participated in those pogroms.

-Nobody said sh**t about Azerbaijan's participation. There were no pro-Armenian protests outside their contestants hotel, Laki didn't post incessantly about the topic, etc. That naturally leads me to ask "why do people care more about Palestinians than Armenians"?

I suspect I'll be crucified for this take, but I've never gotten a good answer on either of these counts.

You're absolutely right re Azerbaijan

The reason  why Israel is different to Azerbaijan when it comes to this specific case and this specific year though is that Israel blatantly sent a young woman to sing an initially political song that had to be modified and she was flanked by the usual Likudnik strong men harassing and barracking anyone who merely breathed in her direction. Everything about Israel's participation was about the endless PR war that parallels the real one back home. It's just so nakedly cynical that in my opinion they should be left home, like a child that can't behave. Azerbaijan can behave.

But I would really like Laki to do a five page thread on the Tigray genocide. Not holding my breath though.

I completely agree, but the main argument among many of the protesters (certainly on the internet) wasn't "Israel is behaving like a petulant child, why are we allowing this", rather, it was an argument focusing on Israeli human rights violations.

If one is going to use that argument, it's only natural that one inquire why it is being applied selectively.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2024, 03:17:57 AM »

Not a big Israel enjoyer here, but here's why some of this rubbed me the wrong way (and probably a lot of others, possibly why Israel did so well in the televote)

-The reason most Jews in America and Israel don't live in Europe anymore was not a decision we made. The Europeans protesting this and booing this may well have had ancestors that participated in those pogroms.

-Nobody said sh**t about Azerbaijan's participation. There were no pro-Armenian protests outside their contestants hotel, Laki didn't post incessantly about the topic, etc. That naturally leads me to ask "why do people care more about Palestinians than Armenians"?

I suspect I'll be crucified for this take, but I've never gotten a good answer on either of these counts.

You're absolutely right re Azerbaijan

The reason  why Israel is different to Azerbaijan when it comes to this specific case and this specific year though is that Israel blatantly sent a young woman to sing an initially political song that had to be modified and she was flanked by the usual Likudnik strong men harassing and barracking anyone who merely breathed in her direction. Everything about Israel's participation was about the endless PR war that parallels the real one back home. It's just so nakedly cynical that in my opinion they should be left home, like a child that can't behave. Azerbaijan can behave.

But I would really like Laki to do a five page thread on the Tigray genocide. Not holding my breath though.

I completely agree, but the main argument among many of the protesters (certainly on the internet) wasn't "Israel is behaving like a petulant child, why are we allowing this", rather, it was an argument focusing on Israeli human rights violations.

If one is going to use that argument, it's only natural that one inquire why it is being applied selectively.

Yes, but among the contestants themselves,  the most common complaint was that the Israeli delegation were acting like arseholes.

I think the main thing with regards to the audience is that some of the LGBTQ community have sort of claimed it as their baby and they don't like the Israeli "pinkwashing" element that has been pretty omnipresent. This year also saw loads of pro-Palestinian protestors who showed up for the first time as "caribinier d'Offenbach" but look, both they and the "pro-Israel" (as in pro-Likud, "hasbara" types) basically want this conflict to seep into every single aspect of Western cultural narrative and beyond. Laki (let's call him Lackey) is a prime example of this...he probably cannot go 5 minutes without linking some issue however random to _the Conflict_. Similarly you have twitter accounts who will accuse a guy buying a sandwich of antisemitimism. It's all a total collective brain melt funded and abetted by evil people.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2024, 12:00:09 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to: