Eurovision controversies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:04:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Eurovision controversies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Eurovision controversies  (Read 2222 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2024, 01:02:13 PM »

Irish singer

specifically referending this incident (amongst maybe other ones too).
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2024, 01:07:10 PM »

The dutch organization responsible is pressing charges on EBU (European Broadcasting Union).
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2024, 01:30:32 PM »

Nobody comes out with a good look here. If I were Israel I'd have withdrawn anyway but instead I think they've acted quite cynically.
the anti israel side are the only ones that look bad
ok mate
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2024, 01:51:53 PM »

Antisemites setting Europe's most collectively beloved modern cultural export on fire is pretty on brand.
Can you stop using that word for everything? Did you expect no consequence for thousands of dead children and giving people orders to run to the desert or be killed? No consequence for absolutely no strategy but bombing and calling everyone antisemitic? For years, people scoffed at Israel becoming South Africa, and now that it's becoming reality, all you can do is blame everyone else. Congrats, Israel, you've become a partisan issue. I'm sure more dead kids, no postwar strategy, and calling POTUS a terrorist sympathizer will help a lot. Israel chose this path, so deal with it
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2024, 01:53:05 PM »

Antisemites setting Europe's most collectively beloved modern cultural export on fire is pretty on brand.
Can you stop using that word for everything? Did you expect no consequence for thousands of dead children and giving people orders to run to the desert or be killed? No consequence for absolutely no strategy but bombing and calling everyone antisemitic? For years, people scoffed at Israel becoming South Africa, and now that it's becoming reality, all you can do is blame everyone else. Congrats, Israel, you've become a partisan issue. I'm sure more dead kids, no postwar strategy, and calling POTUS a terrorist sympathizer will help a lot. Israel chose this path, so deal with it

No.

Sorry you don't like that we're refusing to lie down after the worst act of anti-Jewish genocide since the Holocaust. My advice would be to deal with it.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2024, 01:54:24 PM »

I heard the Israeli performance is generally more like an American Idol performance than an Eurovision one. If True, then hopefully Israel wins for sure.

American cultural dominance
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2024, 02:08:47 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2024, 02:12:54 PM by Oryxslayer »

I mean it's probably not antisemitism, but there is something different here. Eurovision itself likes to pretend to be above international disputes, but when it comes time for the voting, international opinions play out. If there are any issues or sympathy for any participating country, they get few or many votes respectively, and that's how a conscience is made clear.

Countries participating while at war after all is nothing new. The contest literally began while French soldiers were fighting colonial wars around the globe, most notably Algeria which would eventually spill over to the mainland. Turkey participated for the first time right after invading Cyprus. Russia still participated during her assaults on Chechnya, Georgia, Crimea, and others until 2022. Azerbaijan had an entry this year. Never mind how Spain and the UK fought against insurgents during much of the contests 20th century period but still had artists participate. Or how dictatorships that regularly made/make their own citizens disappear still got/get a platform.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2024, 02:09:12 PM »

No.

Sorry you don't like that we're refusing to lie down after the worst act of anti-Jewish genocide since the Holocaust. My advice would be to deal with it.
You don't speak for Jews, so stop doing that. Those who loved Israel the most kept warning these policies would backfire, and again, it was ignored. But no, it must be antisemitism. God forbid Israeli policy is wrong. 15 years of wolf warrior diplomacy, insulting allies, shouting antisemitism, while promoting Hamas instead of the PA so the 2SS would die. Enjoy becoming nothing more than a culture warrior toy for the GOP and the European far-right.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2024, 02:11:49 PM »

Anyway, I'm hoping Israel impressed on Sweden the absolute seriousness of them keeping Golan safe after she wins, because the mobs are going to go absolutely insane and this little Judenhass sideshow could turn into a global conflagration very easily.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2024, 02:22:56 PM »

Who hates who... Israeli stylist saying this on instagram
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2024, 02:27:01 PM »

Ukraine spreading fake news about Croatia but also concerned about the Israel win. Member of Ukraine parliament.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2024, 02:30:50 PM »

I mean it's probably not antisemitism, but there is something different here. Eurovision itself likes to pretend to be above international disputes, but when it comes time for the voting, international opinions play out. If there are any issues or sympathy for any participating country, they get few or many votes respectively, and that's how a conscience is made clear.

Countries participating while at war after all is nothing new. The contest literally began while French soldiers were fighting colonial wars around the globe, most notably Algeria which would eventually spill over to the mainland. Turkey participated for the first time right after invading Cyprus. Russia still participated during her assaults on Chechnya, Georgia, Crimea, and others until 2022. Azerbaijan had an entry this year. Never mind how Spain and the UK fought against insurgents during much of the contests 20th century period but still had artists participate. Or how dictatorships that regularly made/make their own citizens disappear still got/get a platform.

The UK did at least get nil points after invading Iraq.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2024, 02:31:25 PM »

I heard the Israeli performance is generally more like an American Idol performance than an Eurovision one. If True, then hopefully Israel wins for sure.

Golan lived her entire youth in Russia so this is very ridicilous

When Golan was six years old, she and her parents moved to Russia due to her father's work. They resided in Moscow. The family lived in Russia for 12 years.

so...

Russian cultural dominance instead.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2024, 02:33:44 PM »

When Golan was six years old, she and her parents moved to Russia due to her father's work. They resided in Moscow. The family lived in Russia for 12 years.

so...

12 years out of 18 is not your entire youth. Also, it wasn't exactly her choice.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2024, 02:51:11 PM »

so...

12 years out of 18 is not your entire youth. Also, it wasn't exactly her choice.

In 2016,Eden Golan's parents made their child perform in occupied Crimea after it was illegally annexed & attend many propagandist shows in Russia. 20 year old singer did not release any statements about invasion of Ukraine and been silent about her work in 🇷🇺 after turning 18.

Not exactly true, she has been silent on the whole Crimea annexation thing.

But sure vote for someone anti-Ukraine as well.

This whole mess is already a big propaganda victory for Putin and you're all helping him.
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2024, 02:57:15 PM »

I've just listened to the song and yeah, it sounds like something Taylor swift would sing.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2024, 03:00:28 PM »

We're talking about this

but half of conservacord is gonna vote for someone who doesn't recognise Crimea as part of Ukraine. And OSR even calls her an example of American culture, while she embodies that of Russia.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2024, 03:01:29 PM »

In 2016,Eden Golan's parents made their child perform in occupied Crimea after it was illegally annexed & attend many propagandist shows in Russia. 20 year old singer did not release any statements about invasion of Ukraine and been silent about her work in 🇷🇺 after turning 18.

This whole mess is already a big propaganda victory for Putin and you're all helping him.

I'd imagine that most people wouldn't want to talk about being forced to do propaganda for Russia.
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2024, 03:03:02 PM »

so...

Admittedly i haven't been paying much attention, but isn't the disqualified Dutch guy you were posting about also a Russophile? I vaguely remember reading people talking about it. So methinks this take is just concern trolling.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2024, 03:04:34 PM »

so...

Admittedly i haven't been paying much attention, but isn't the disqualified Dutch guy you were posting about also a Russophile? I vaguely remember reading people talking about it. So methinks this take is concern trolling.

He is not a Russophile, never heard something about that.

Have you listened to his song actually... Do you know the title of that song, do you know what it is about?

It's called EUROPE-e-e-e-e-e

Come on.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2024, 03:05:30 PM »

Also, she did that performance in Crimea when she was 12. The age of criminal responsibility in Ukraine is 14.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2024, 03:12:11 PM »

I've removed a few posts.

This is Eurovision. With specific events that actually have f-ck all to do with Israeli participation. It's not a extension of personal/political gripes and arguments from elsewhere on this forum.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2024, 03:12:28 PM »

We're talking about this

but half of conservacord is gonna vote for someone who doesn't recognise Crimea as part of Ukraine. And OSR even calls her an example of American culture, while she embodies that of Russia.

Dude I’m not even going to vote for her as it costs money to do so and I’m not paying for a silly competition and i am probably more pro Israel than 80% of conservacord (maybe more ).

Someone just said her song sounded like one you’d see from American idol so I was like that’s awesome
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2024, 03:33:53 PM »

We're talking about this

Dude I’m not even going to vote for her as it costs money to do so and I’m not paying for a silly competition and i am probably more pro Israel than 80% of conservacord (maybe more ).

Someone just said her song sounded like one you’d see from American idol so I was like that’s awesome

Someone just said... You haven't even listened to it yourself, before already deciding you wanted it to win.

Secondly, neither have you listened to any other songs (or their background stories). Luxembourg also has a Israeli-Luxembourgian artist performing and no-one talks about her because she represents the flag of Luxembourg for instance.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2024, 03:53:22 PM »

I'll just say it: I hate how every single thing, related or not, has to be brought into the Israel-Palestine conflict in defense of either posture. It's utterly tiresome and at this point, pointless virtue signaling.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies