1980: President Carter vs Former President Nixon (Watergate still happens and no 22nd Amendment)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 11:01:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1980: President Carter vs Former President Nixon (Watergate still happens and no 22nd Amendment)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who wins
Carter

Nixon

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: 1980: President Carter vs Former President Nixon (Watergate still happens and no 22nd Amendment)  (Read 305 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2024, 06:34:38 PM »

This is probably the most accurate analogy to this current election so who wins such a race and what would the map look like
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2024, 10:13:07 PM »

Steve from Lambeth
Greece

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2024, 08:41:01 AM »

Richard Nixon resigned 1.5 years into his second term and so would have been able to seek re-election in any event.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2024, 11:57:31 AM »

I think California,  Washington, and Connecticut go for Nixon here
Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2024, 12:55:31 PM »

If Nixon has rejuvinated his image (or at least kept a hold on the base) enough that he can win the nomination post-Watergate, I think he wins the general. Much like 2020, Carter was elected to turn the page from the Nixon years - if the people are willing to give Nixon another shot, what does that say about Carter here?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024, 01:40:13 PM »

If Nixon has rejuvinated his image (or at least kept a hold on the base) enough that he can win the nomination post-Watergate, I think he wins the general. Much like 2020, Carter was elected to turn the page from the Nixon years - if the people are willing to give Nixon another shot, what does that say about Carter here?

I could see it though keep in mind unlike Biden, Carter had the EV advantage in 1980. Carter did 2 points better in the tipping point state than he did in the NPV. So assuming the NPV is tied here this is how a uniform swing map would look like:

Carter would win 284-254. Now you could argue Reagan being from the conservative wing of the party hurt him in New England but the problem is that Reagan barely won Maine so I doubt Nixon wins it here and even if you give Nixon CT/VT it would not be enough to win.

In that case Carter would win the presidency with a 271-267 margin so Nixon really would have to flip another state. You could argue Oregon but Oregon is a state more friendly to Carter style populism than CA/WA are and Reagan being from the West likely boosted him there. So then the question is can Nixon win one of IL/PA/MI which were states Reagan won between 6-8 points and the problem is the types of voters who would be most offended by scandal were exactly the type of voters the GOP needed to run up their numbers with in order to win(UMC Suburbanites).

So I think Carter wins extremely narrowly by a 271-267 margin   
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2024, 08:54:05 PM »

I could not imagine a single circumstance where Nixon got nominated.

An alternative narrative to the John Dean Watergate story would have had to have been developed.  That being said, I doubt Nixon would have carried a single state without some kind of 3rd party assistance.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2024, 10:10:12 PM »

Nixon wins, if he's gotten far enough to get past the primaries. Much of trickster as Carter could be, he's not cutthroat enough. He's no JFK.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies