Just released: consumer sentiment falling again. Big miss. Should Biden be worried
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 05:10:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Just released: consumer sentiment falling again. Big miss. Should Biden be worried
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Just released: consumer sentiment falling again. Big miss. Should Biden be worried  (Read 1074 times)
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2024, 09:53:25 AM »

I think Biden's had it. He's cooked.

It was you screaming on election night 2020 that they should call Wisconsin for Trump already, right?
Octowakandi
Octosteel
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2024, 10:45:08 AM »

Biden is not on the ballot in November. Trump is. Biden has nothing to worry about.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2024, 02:56:55 PM »

Biden’s economy polling is lower because Republicans won’t give him credit for anything and Dems have more complex views on American capitalism that make us hesitate to approve of any President’s economic management.

But like I said, inflation has cooled and unemployment is low, so voters may prioritize other issues when they go to the polls. If we were deep in a recession I’d feel differently, but we’re not. (Sorry Riverwalk, wherever you are)

And besides, even when the economy was more prescient back in 2022, it still wasn’t enough for MAGA candidates to win.

If gas prices fall in a close enough time frame to the election, and if interest rates finally get cut, that could make a difference for Biden, positively. Obviously they're big "ifs" though.

Biden will be fine. Even if the economy is total s**t in 6 months (it won’t be) there will still be enough voters who don’t think electing Trump is worth the risk.

Yall really don’t understand how much Jan 6 and MAGA have turned off the swing voters Trump has to win. 2022 was a warning but the GOP didn’t listen. Too bad!

You can't actually believe that if the economy completely tanks Biden will still win because of Jan. 6th. 
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2024, 06:28:22 AM »

He should be worried, but he's asleep at the wheel.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2024, 04:37:46 PM »

Lies, damn lies, and polling methodologies.

I shouldn't it find it surprising that much of the coverage around the latest UMich report completely ignored this.
Duke of York

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2024, 04:44:55 PM »

and what do you propose he do? you never think a Democrat will win.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2024, 05:10:45 PM »

Whether you like it or not, the perception is that this administration is feckless and on autopilot.

You might say "But they've done this, this, and this", and sure, they have. But our elections aren't determined by facts, they're determined by feels. And your average American feels Biden hasn't done much, and what little they know about him doing, they don't like (see Muslims re Gaza for instance, calling out protestors).

What the average voter cares about, they blame Biden for (inflation, for instance) even if it isn't in his power to control.

This administration has had a very serious image problem from day one, and it's only gotten steadily worse.
Duke of York

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2024, 05:26:14 PM »

Whether you like it or not, the perception is that this administration is feckless and on autopilot.

You might say "But they've done this, this, and this", and sure, they have. But our elections aren't determined by facts, they're determined by feels. And your average American feels Biden hasn't done much, and what little they know about him doing, they don't like (see Muslims re Gaza for instance, calling out protestors).

What the average voter cares about, they blame Biden for (inflation, for instance) even if it isn't in his power to control.

This administration has had a very serious image problem from day one, and it's only gotten steadily worse.

We need better education in this country so people understand the president can’t make law or control many things in the economy.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2024, 07:30:41 PM »

Run on fear. I propose releasing ads featuring photos of shooting victims and saying, “This is what Republicans want.” The GOP has run on fear for decades and it often works.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2024, 07:43:41 PM »

Run on fear. I propose releasing ads featuring photos of shooting victims and saying, “This is what Republicans want.” The GOP has run on fear for decades and it often works.

So, go full Atwater?
I can imagine the start of the ad:
"White suburban mother shows photo of her blonde daugher who died in a shooting."
Then, it shows the mug shot of the shooter...
DS0816
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2024, 08:18:37 PM »

Re: … Should Biden be worried [?]

Let him continue sleeping.
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2024, 11:39:53 PM »

Biden should at least acknowledge things are bad and employ the Obama 2012 strategy, rather than denying. Ie see the Erin Burnett interview to see his attitude.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2024, 11:55:24 PM »

Not sure if this has more weight than actual economic data, but regardless the current consumer sentiment is already baked in. People may think the economy is bad, but they’re spending like it’s good, and that’s the real benchmark.

And even with lower consumer sentiment, Biden is still competitive. Barring an economic crash, this election won’t be fought over the economy. It matters, but as 2022 showed (when inflation and economic uncertainty was even higher) other issues mattered just as much if not more.

Consumer confidence in conference board  shows that people are planning to cut spending on restaurants. As well as actual earnings from a lot of corporations in this area.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2024, 11:58:15 PM »

Lies, damn lies, and polling methodologies.

I shouldn't it find it surprising that much of the coverage around the latest UMich report completely ignored this.
It is also consistent with this poll which has not changed methodology: https://civiqs.com/results/economy_us_direction?uncertainty=true&annotations=true&zoomIn=true
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2024, 02:02:20 AM »

Lol there was a poll out today showing Biden ahead 47/46 of Trump what is Trump gonna do give giant tax cuts to rich people
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2024, 02:57:58 PM »

It was you screaming on election night 2020 that they should call Wisconsin for Trump already, right?

What did that NYT/Siena poll say today . . .

Oh yeah, that's it. Trump up in every swing state comfortably and within the margin of error in Wisconsin.

It's called being realistic.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2024, 10:31:44 PM »

Oh yeah, that's it. Trump up in every swing state comfortably and within the margin of error in Wisconsin.

I'm still reading the thread on election night 2020.  It gets better - you didn't just want Wiconsin called, but the entire election.

"CALL THE DAMN ELECTION ALREADY."

Forgive me if you have zero credibility.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2024, 10:33:26 PM »

I'm still reading the thread on election night 2020.  It gets better - you didn't just want Wiconsin called, but the entire election.

For f**k's sake, if you want to act like a schoolyard bully,  take it somewhere else.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2024, 07:34:17 AM »

For f**k's sake, if you want to act like a schoolyard bully,  take it somewhere else.

Sure, using your words is bullying.
GAinDC

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2024, 07:40:46 AM »

Sure, using your words is bullying.

GoTFan also called me a bully for bringing up election night 2020. How is bringing up a person’s own words bullying?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies