Chris Coons calls on Israel to go into Rafah and Rosen calls on unconditional aid to continue
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 10:17:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Chris Coons calls on Israel to go into Rafah and Rosen calls on unconditional aid to continue
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Chris Coons calls on Israel to go into Rafah and Rosen calls on unconditional aid to continue  (Read 1139 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2024, 08:47:38 AM »

https://www.axios.com/2024/05/10/rafah-israel-palestine-democrats-arms-sale

Now 26 house democrats have come out to criticize this decision by Biden

Driving the news: In a letter to Biden on Friday, 26 Democrats led by Rep. Josh Gottheimer (D-N.J.) wrote that they are "deeply concerned about the message the Administration is sending to Hamas and other Iranian-backed terrorist proxies" with the pauses.

Gottheimer is an anti Muslim bigot.

He also tried to blame progressives for Biden's infrastructure legislation not passing in full while actively working with other 'centrists' to block it.

Not sure he's the sharpest tool in the shed.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2024, 02:07:54 AM »

Sometimes, I truely wonder if these people would sell their mothers and their children just for the sake of Israel.

If this was any other country on Earth, like, let's say Bolivia, I'll bet you a chorus of voices would've already have been calling for their impeachment and resignation for prioritizing the needs of a foreign country, consequences be damned, over our own. But funnily enough, this standard is conveniently never applied to the so-called "greatest ally."
It's a miracle that we have so many Israel First politicians. I am very curious how average voters feel.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2024, 02:21:16 AM »

Sometimes, I truely wonder if these people would sell their mothers and their children just for the sake of Israel.

If this was any other country on Earth, like, let's say Bolivia, I'll bet you a chorus of voices would've already have been calling for their impeachment and resignation for prioritizing the needs of a foreign country, consequences be damned, over our own. But funnily enough, this standard is conveniently never applied to the so-called "greatest ally."
It's a miracle that we have so many Israel First politicians. I am very curious how average voters feel.

I mean supporting Israel invading all of Gaza and occupying it is very different than say if they launched an invasion of Syria. Nobody supports the latter even most of us who support the former .

The fact is just like we were justified in occupying Afghanistan after 9/11, Israel is justified in occupying Gaza and Gaza will be easier to occupy than Afghanistan since the area space is way smaller.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2024, 06:51:40 AM »

Garbage people. Also, I don't quite understand why Biden is being punished for his pro-Israel stance, but downballot Democrats aren't.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2024, 05:12:04 PM »

Those who put Israel first put America last.
quesaisje
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2024, 04:26:28 PM »

Garbage people. Also, I don't quite understand why Biden is being punished for his pro-Israel stance, but downballot Democrats aren't.

I think this has more to do with downballot Democrats taking any opportunity they can to distance themselves from Biden.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2024, 04:32:44 PM »

I think this has more to do with downballot Democrats taking any opportunity they can to distance themselves from Biden.

If Senator from Delaware Chris Coons thinks he has to distance himself from Joe Biden, Biden's in trouble.

I don't think that's the motivation however.
quesaisje
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2024, 04:41:26 PM »

If Senator from Delaware Chris Coons thinks he has to distance himself from Joe Biden, Biden's in trouble.

I don't think that's the motivation however.

It's the reason we're talking about it on an elections-oriented messaging board, and it's the reason we'll keep seeing headlines to this effect.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2024, 04:47:24 PM »

Pretty stark contrast with how the Republicans roll over for whatever obscene thing Trump spews out at any given moment.

Unfortunately, Biden just looks weak here. His party doesn't respect him on this issue and both ends of the spectrum have no problem saying it.

Biden and his administration could get out knives and start axe-ing people that cross him on both sides from having influence. Be a version of the FDR 1938 Purge (or a tamer version of the Trump purge of the GOP 2018 onwards, where Trump was more successful than FDR was). I don't know if he'd be able to arm twist Jefferies however to tell him the Gottheimer wing and the Omar wing are done from leadership. If Pelosi and Hoyer and Clyburn were still in charge, he maybe could.

Don't even have to do everyone, just do the most vocal members. Since serving in the House if you're not in leadership you're effectively nothing, telling 6 or so people out of the whole caucus "you're done having any influence in this body" would serve to keep the remaining 200 in line.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2024, 05:19:41 PM »

Coons just fell off my good guy list. He apparently places a very low value on Paltestian lives.  Execrable.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2024, 05:26:34 PM »

Pretty stark contrast with how the Republicans roll over for whatever obscene thing Trump spews out at any given moment.

Unfortunately, Biden just looks weak here. His party doesn't respect him on this issue and both ends of the spectrum have no problem saying it.

Biden and his administration could get out knives and start axe-ing people that cross him on both sides from having influence. Be a version of the FDR 1938 Purge (or a tamer version of the Trump purge of the GOP 2018 onwards, where Trump was more successful than FDR was). I don't know if he'd be able to arm twist Jefferies however to tell him the Gottheimer wing and the Omar wing are done from leadership. If Pelosi and Hoyer and Clyburn were still in charge, he maybe could.

Don't even have to do everyone, just do the most vocal members. Since serving in the House if you're not in leadership you're effectively nothing, telling 6 or so people out of the whole caucus "you're done having any influence in this body" would serve to keep the remaining 200 in line.

This would not work, if the Dems take the house back it’ll be a very slim maybe single digit majority, in which case you need every vote for every bill and I don’t think the house gop will bail out Jeffries like the dems with Johnson and McCarthy on must pass bills
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2024, 06:43:05 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2024, 06:50:01 PM by Open Source Intelligence »

This would not work, if the Dems take the house back it’ll be a very slim maybe single digit majority, in which case you need every vote for every bill and I don’t think the house gop will bail out Jeffries like the dems with Johnson and McCarthy on must pass bills

He needs to keep his party in line and portray strong leadership on what is one of the top two or three potentially threatening issues to his reelection in my opinion - and what's the alternative at the moment? The President of the United States cannot be considered a strong leader AND have two to three members of his own party derail him. A conservative criticism of Biden's presidency I've read a few times - so if you choose to dismiss because it's conservative, fine - is he's having the most Senatorial presidency ever, as in he's being President like he operated as a Senator.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2024, 07:13:39 PM »

A big problem with Biden's ability to crack down on dissent on this issue is that he has grudgingly tolerated much worse dissent from the party's left flank. What Coons and Fetterman are saying is nothing compared to Tlaib coming just short of chanting "Genocide Joe".
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2024, 07:16:11 PM »

A big problem with Biden's ability to crack down on dissent on this issue is that he has grudgingly tolerated much worse dissent from the party's left flank. What Coons and Fetterman are saying is nothing compared to Tlaib coming just short of chanting "Genocide Joe".

If Biden was smart he actively would get around 100 pro Israeli democrats in the House and 20 pro Israeli democrats to vote for a bill mandating aid be given out and then vote to override his veto too.

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2024, 07:21:22 PM »

If Biden was smart he actively would get around 100 pro Israeli democrats in the House and 20 pro Israeli democrats to vote for a bill mandating aid be given out and then vote to override his veto too.

That's exactly what would happen if he pushed this too much further, I think. Obama was willing to pick this fight, while Biden has the next term to think about.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies