40% of Ohio's fastest growing communities are in Central Ohio (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:37:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  40% of Ohio's fastest growing communities are in Central Ohio (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 40% of Ohio's fastest growing communities are in Central Ohio  (Read 6444 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« on: July 22, 2007, 10:48:58 PM »

In other related news, Minneapolis gained population for the first time since '92. Though it was only 159 people.

Congrats. Its weird to think of a place not getting larger in population for me... here the population has almost always been growing (actually I cant think of a time period in the last 150 years where there has been a major stoppage in the population growth)

The population is just getting less dense. City boundaries stay the same, so fewer people live in the city limits. Kind of misleading. Very few metros are losing population.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 10:17:10 AM »

In other related news, Minneapolis gained population for the first time since '92. Though it was only 159 people.

Congrats. Its weird to think of a place not getting larger in population for me... here the population has almost always been growing (actually I cant think of a time period in the last 150 years where there has been a major stoppage in the population growth)

The population is just getting less dense. City boundaries stay the same, so fewer people live in the city limits. Kind of misleading. Very few metros are losing population.

Just Detroit, really.

No, Detroit metro gained 5 percent during the 1990s. Metros that lost population in ascending population loss by percent were Dayton, OH; Sharon, PA; Muncie, IN; Bangor, ME; Youngstown, OH; Altoona, PA; Syracuse, NY; Pine Bluff, AR; Pittsburgh, PA; Jamestown, NY; Buffalo, NY; Decatur, IL; Scranton, PA; Lewiston, ME; Anniston, AL, Johnstown, PA; Wheeling, WV; Alexandria, LA; Elmira, NY; Pittsfield, MA; Binghamton, NY; Utica, NY; Grand Forks, ND; and Steuenville, OH.
http://www.census.gov/population/cen2000/phc-t3/tab05.pdf
I expect the list for our current decade to be similar with New Orleans leading the way.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 02:12:17 AM »

I looked at that census page, and I noticed a few things that intrigued me.  I used to think of Cleveland and St. Louis as roughly equivalent metros in size, if not in terms of vitality, but as it turns out St. Louis is much bigger.  Another surprise is that Minneapolis-St. Paul has pulled well ahead of St. Louis - I believe it used to be quite a bit smaller.

Huh? It says that St. Louis has 2.6 million and grew 4.5%, while Cleveland has 2.9 million and grew 3%. Cleveland is slightly larger, though they are very similar in size and growth rate. Both are also really great cities as well. Minneapolis is also at 2.9 million, though its growth rate is a robust 16.9%
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies