The President does too much. Let's cut it into 2.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:34:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  The President does too much. Let's cut it into 2.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The President does too much. Let's cut it into 2.  (Read 233 times)
Bush did 311
Vatnos
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 29, 2024, 01:09:02 PM »

Because the US is such a powerful country with so much influence in the world, the president is in charge of such a broad range of things. It doesn't give citizens the ability to fine-tune US policy on each issue, so they are usually dissatisfied.

I think it would be interesting to split the presidency into 2 positions that are elected separately - a President and a Chancellor. One would set a domestic agenda and be in charge of running the country. The other would take over foreign matters, and the cabinet positions would be split accordingly under each.

Could even do 3 splits, like having a separate PM as well. If one of them does a lousy job we can fire them without giving the country a full lobotomy on the things that are still going well.

Thoughts?

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 02:06:22 PM »

That wouldn't work in practice. One man or one woman has to call the shots. That's also why I regard the semi-presidential system as questionable. Presidential or parliamentary systems are superior.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2024, 09:34:08 AM »

I've had the thought more in regards to Congress than I have the President. Have a Congress that only does finances. Have a Congress that only does international relations, etc. Would get rid of some of the single-issue grifters. Tells voters "my focus for the next 2 years will be on abortion!" Then get assigned to the Agriculture and Veterans Affairs Committees. If you have a Congress solely focused on say international affairs, that's all you're running on and voting on. Works better in theory than practice admittedly when a lot of how interest groups operate is making sure people they don't like just never get elected to anything, regardless of whether they are affected by the issue or not.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies