The National Weekly Atlasian
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:53:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The National Weekly Atlasian
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 69
Author Topic: The National Weekly Atlasian  (Read 171507 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 10:35:30 PM »

Fairness to the Officeholder Amendment Likely To Pass
by South Park Conservative

21 July 2007 (Developing)- With overwhelming support in the Midwest, Mideast, and Pacific regions, it would appear that the Fairness to the Officeholder Amendment is likely to pass. However, the focus of the election is on the results in the Northeast and Southeast regions. In these regions, the Aye vots only narrowly leads the Nay vote. If both of these region vote Nay on the amendment, it will not pass.

District 1 Special Voting Booth Opens

21 July 2007 (Developing)- The voting booth for the special election to replace President COlin Wixted in the Senate has been opened today. Opened a week late, Senate candidate EarlAW complained that he and fellow candidate Rockefeller Republican were not informed about the date of the election. Neither candidate did any major campaigning, and votes have yet to be cast.

The National Weekly Atlasian will be giving a commentary about next month's Senate races on August 13.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 10:16:23 PM »

Fairness to the Officeholder Amendment Passes

24 July 2007- Over the last seven days, the voters in all five regions decided to add the Fairness to the Officeholder Amendment to the Atlasian Constitution. The Amendment repealed the requirement of officeholders to display their residency.

EarlAW wins Special Election

24 July 2007- Over the weekend, the citizens of District 1 voted to have EarlAW replace President Colin Wixted in the Senate. He started the election as the forntrunner and maintained that status throughout Election Day. The campaign was rather uneventful, but, on the bright side, at least the month-long vacancy held in the District 1 Senate seat is finally over.

The National Weekly Atlasian will be selling ad space for candidates of the upcoming election at $500/ad. Please contact the National Weekly Atlasian via PM to obtain your ad. We will also be holding Senatorial debates for any district candidates that wish to participate.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2007, 10:32:52 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2007, 12:17:24 PM by Lt. Gov. South Park Conservative »

The National Weekly Atlasian will be publishing its commentary on recent legislation:
Decriminalization of LSD Bill Oppose
People's Referendum Amendment Oppose
Education Funding Clarification Bill Oppose
2nd Immigration Reform Bill of 2007 Support
Expansion of Presidential Line-Item Veto Power Amendment Support
Withdrawal Resolution Support
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2007, 12:09:54 AM »

The Significance of Kevin

27 July 2007- Last week's special election highlighted one of the significant parts of our Atlasian election system--Kevin. Yes, Kevin has been famous for his record of casting invalid ballots for Atlasian elections, and the District 1 Special Election was no exception. Kevin, who had moved to California prior to the election, ran into legal controversy when his vote would have given the election the Keystone Phil if it wasn't deemed invalid. Keystone Phil got elected anyway because of the invalidity of Defarge's vote. The irony of this is that Kevin cast his vote in the District 1 Election from his former residency of Rhode Island after it had been deemed hat he resided in Calfornia. A question that will rise, due to the recent passage of the Fairness to the Voter Amendment last month, if Kevin will continue his tradition and cast yet another invalid ballot in the August Senate Elections, or if kevin will make a milestone and cast a valid ballot. Whatever happens, Kevin's record of invalid ballots will forever be an Atlasian landmark.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2007, 11:21:30 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2007, 11:31:58 PM by Lt. Gov. South Park Conservative »

The National Weekly Atlasian will be publishing senatorial voting records comparing their votes to the NWA's positions:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
NWA N N Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y N N N Y Y Y N Y
PBrunsel N 0 Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y Y N 0 Y Y Y N Y 94% A
DWTL N Y Y Y 0 0 0 0 Y N N N Y Y Y N Y 93% A-
BrandonH N Y Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y 0 N N Y Y N N Y 88% B+

Sam Spade N Y Y Y N Y 0 Y Y Y Y N N Y Y N Y 82% B-
Keystone Phil N Y Y Y N 0 Y Y Y Y Y N N N N N N Y 71% C-
Ebowed Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y 61% D-
Al 0 Y Y Y 0 0 Y Y Y 0 Y Y N Y N N N N 57% F
Rob Y 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Y 0 Y N Y Y Y 57% F
EarlAW 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Y Y Y N 0 N Y N N 50% F
Lewis Trondheim Y Y Y Y Y 0 0 0 Y 0 0 0 0 0 N 0 Y Y 44% F

Y=Aye
N=Nay
0=Absent/Abstain
Red=Up for reelection

First=Acceptance of Science Bill
2nd=Carbon Tax Act
3rd=SoFA Confirmation
4th=Fairness to the Officeholder Amendment
5th=Yates Cancer Research Bill
6th=SoEA Cofirmation
7th=AG Confirmation
8th=Copyrights Bill
9th=Perjury Bill
10th=Introduction to Atlasia Bill
11th=Darfur Divestment Bill
12th=Bill to Establish Atlasian Policy Towards HIV/AIDS
13th=Resolution on the issue of Atlasian Recognition of the USA
14th=Liberalization of Sex Laws Bill
15th=2nd Immigration Reform Bill
16th=Decriminalization of LSD Bill
17th=People's Referendum Amendment
18th=Expansion of Presidential Line-Item Veto Power Amendment
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2007, 08:32:28 AM »

SPC, would it possible to make it a little clearer what each bill is?  I would also like to state here again that I am the only senator to vote against the capitalist infringment bill that was the Darfur Divestment Bill
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2007, 10:33:51 AM »

SPC, would it possible to make it a little clearer what each bill is?  I would also like to state here again that I am the only senator to vote against the capitalist infringment bill that was the Darfur Divestment Bill

All the bills are the ones that came to a final vote in order according to Jas's 20th Senate Notice Board, with the exception of the Amending to Position of th Sean of the Senate Bill. I will try to clarify this.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2007, 11:08:32 AM »

SPC, could I please have an interview with you?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2007, 11:22:24 AM »

Sure, just PM me and I'll send you the questions. Sorry, I've been kinda sidetracked.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2007, 01:26:05 PM »

Exclusive Interview with Hashemite

28 July 2007- Today, I held an interview with Mideast Lieutenant Governor Hashemite. Here is a transcript of the interview:

SPC: You became the Lieutenant Governor of the Mideast last month. What goals do you hope to accomplish in that office?

HASHEMITE: What I want to accomplish in the Mideast is the revival of citizen interest in regional and federal politics. It's very hard to do, but I want to do my ultimate best to get to it. I'll accept any way to spark interest in regional and federal politics.

SPC: You narrowly lost a Senate election to DWTL in April. Are you eyeing a rematch?

HASHEMITE: No, I do hope there is a strong candidate against DWTL, but I will not run for any Senate seat until I have the needed experience to do so.

SPC: Do you think that the Mideast needs to make any reforms, or is it just fine as a region?

HASHEMITE: Yes, it needs reform. As I said earlier in the interview, reforms are needed to interest the population. I agree with Vice President Jas proposed reform on popular referenda and consultation and I would like to see it applied in the Mideast even more than it currently is. However, the Mideast has an important number of popular consultations, something I like to see.

SPC: What do you think is the most important issue facing the Mideast?

HASHEMITE: Voter turnout in elections. There are other problems, but that's by far the most important issue.

SPC: If you could have the chance to propose legislation to the Senate, what would it be?

HASHEMITE: My primary concerns are the environment and immigration. The Senate currently fails to do anything on environment protection. I would also support the introduction of more bills relating to immigration reform instead of debating over flag burning laws or recognition of the US. There are more urgent issues than that.

SPC: Thank you for taking the time to attend this interview.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2007, 02:21:32 PM »

when you get the chance, could I get one of those long-awaited interviews myself?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2007, 02:56:18 PM »

I want to respond to Hashemite's claim that the senate does not address the environment.  We address the environment but such proposals like adopting Kyoto Procotol were voted down because they are not good plans.  Does he offer any plans himself?

Also, I think it is time I did a follow up interview if you have some new questions for me
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2007, 03:01:43 PM »

when you get the chance, could I get one of those long-awaited interviews myself?

Sure, just PM me when you're ready and I'll interview you.

I want to respond to Hashemite's claim that the senate does not address the environment.  We address the environment but such proposals like adopting Kyoto Procotol were voted down because they are not good plans.  Does he offer any plans himself?

Also, I think it is time I did a follow up interview if you have some new questions for me

I can interview you again if you wish. Just PM me when you're ready.

Please, from now on, all people who wish to be interviewed please PM me before posting it here.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2007, 03:56:39 PM »

The Kyoto Protocol is the first thing to do when trying to take any environmental action. I know you do things on the environment in there, but each plan that has a decent chance to help solve environment problems is voted down. Does the Senate do anything to address global warming, climate change?

SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2007, 03:58:59 PM »

Just wondering, would you guys like to have a debate on this matter?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2007, 04:01:05 PM »

The Kyoto Protocol is the first thing to do when trying to take any environmental action. I know you do things on the environment in there, but each plan that has a decent chance to help solve environment problems is voted down. Does the Senate do anything to address global warming, climate change?
With the current senate I think you are sorely out of luck and even if I do not reelection you probably are still out of luck there.  One the senate is one that believes in free market and capitalist ideals, such as a only realistic environmental solutions.  There is also a sizable portion of the senate that is sane enough to not buy into man-made global warming.  I am not sure what exactly you want, Ebowed is trying to get a bill to stop ANWR, but not only does it have little support in the senate, the president is threatening a veto if passed.  It looks if you want strict government controls on the environment you need only need a lot of new senators but a new president at all.  Atlasia has never been a country that tried to pass environmental laws.  I suggest you try doing it at your regional level.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2007, 04:01:44 PM »

Just wondering, would you guys like to have a debate on this matter?
Sure I am open to doing a debate, interviews, whatever.  It is important the people stay up with the issues from people not only on the outside, but those on the inside like myself.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2007, 04:16:34 PM »

With the current senate I think you are sorely out of luck and even if I do not reelection you probably are still out of luck there.  One the senate is one that believes in free market and capitalist ideals, such as a only realistic environmental solutions.  There is also a sizable portion of the senate that is sane enough to not buy into man-made global warming.  I am not sure what exactly you want, Ebowed is trying to get a bill to stop ANWR, but not only does it have little support in the senate, the president is threatening a veto if passed.  It looks if you want strict government controls on the environment you need only need a lot of new senators but a new president at all.  Atlasia has never been a country that tried to pass environmental laws.  I suggest you try doing it at your regional level.

If you look in the past Mideast initiatives, former Gov. PolNut did a great job at doing environmental work at a regional level. He did a lot of important actions on that matter.
Yes, I know the Senate won't do anything about our dying earth as they seem to be interested more by oil drilling in the ANWR and other economic policies. I'm not against economic policies, but they should come with environmental policies, and the Senate is not doing that. I'm definitely decieved that the Senate fails to do any durable, realistic actions on the environment.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2007, 04:42:23 PM »

If you look in the past Mideast initiatives, former Gov. PolNut did a great job at doing environmental work at a regional level. He did a lot of important actions on that matter.
Yes, I know the Senate won't do anything about our dying earth as they seem to be interested more by oil drilling in the ANWR and other economic policies. I'm not against economic policies, but they should come with environmental policies, and the Senate is not doing that. I'm definitely decieved that the Senate fails to do any durable, realistic actions on the environment.
Do you have any specific proposals?  It sounds nice in principle to protect the environment, but it sounds like anything you propose will impede on businesses and create further restrictions.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2007, 04:57:44 PM »

The King wishes to see a debate, or a sword duel to the death, whatever the gentlemen prefer.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2007, 05:01:18 PM »

The King wishes to see a debate, or a sword duel to the death, whatever the gentlemen prefer.
Virtual sword duels greatly lack in excitement
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2007, 05:31:36 PM »

A debate then, if you two agree, DWTL has evolved much in the way of defending his policy in the last few months whereas I find myself very interested in the NRM. This would be very entertaining to see.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2007, 06:38:57 PM »

A debate then, if you two agree, DWTL has evolved much in the way of defending his policy in the last few months whereas I find myself very interested in the NRM. This would be very entertaining to see.

I would agree to moderate this debate, or co-moderate, if the King wishes to moderate as well. I will open the thread upon both sides' consent.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2007, 06:45:58 PM »

I'll be absent most of tommorow, should probably be here the 30th.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2007, 06:58:51 PM »

I would agree to moderate this debate, or co-moderate, if the King wishes to moderate as well. I will open the thread upon both sides' consent.

SPC, you don't believe in man-made global warming, which will be the main point of this debate. I'd request a poster that hasn't made his views on the subject clear moderate, or co-moderate with you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 69  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies