300m Americans: does it include the 12m illegals?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:56:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  300m Americans: does it include the 12m illegals?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 300m Americans: does it include the 12m illegals?  (Read 3276 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2007, 11:22:47 AM »

Recently it was said that the USA passed the 300m mark in population. I'm just curious if this meant 300m  citizens, or if it just meant 300m people within the boarders of the USA, including the 12m or so illegal immigrants this country has.

Thanks,
Jacob
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 11:32:04 AM »

Recently it was said that the USA passed the 300m mark in population. I'm just curious if this meant 300m  citizens, or if it just meant 300m people within the boarders of the USA, including the 12m or so illegal immigrants this country has.

Thanks,
Jacob

I'm not 100%, but I would assume that yes, 300 million includes illegal immigrants.  The Census Bureau is supposed to count everyone, not just those here legally.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 11:45:38 AM »

Thanks,
Jacob

About 2010 Census:

What ?

Count

The census is a count of everyone residing in the United States: in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the Island Areas.

Who ?

Everyone

All residents of the United States must be counted. This includes people of all ages, races, ethnic groups, citizens and non-citizens.

http://www.census.gov/2010census/about_2010_census/

I suppose it was the case in 2000 too.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 03:00:23 PM »

They are intended to be, since the census counts residents.

But the estimates are based on the 2000 Census.  Illegal immigrants may avoid participating in the Census.  They likely move more frequently, so that they were no longer around when followup was done.  In cases where some members of the household are legal and others not, there might be underreporting.  So if a legal resident family has an illegal cousin living with them, he might not show up on the census form.  Even if they weren't illegal, factors such as language and income would tend to have greater underreporting.

Estimates include adjustments to the base for births and deaths, and international migration.  Illegal immigrants might not be counted.

Some states base their population estimates on housing counts and models of persons per household, and tend to be more accurate than the Census Bureau.

The Census Bureau estimate for 2000 which was based on the 1990 Census was about 7 million less than actual population count for 2000.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 04:39:36 AM »

But the estimates are based on the 2000 Census.  Illegal immigrants may avoid participating in the Census.  They likely move more frequently, so that they were no longer around when followup was done.  In cases where some members of the household are legal and others not, there might be underreporting.  So if a legal resident family has an illegal cousin living with them, he might not show up on the census form. 
Non-participation is risky, and participation is not, so I doubt the effect is large. The 2000 census (unlike the 1990 one) was widely applauded as having done a good job of counting everybody, which explains this:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 12:41:24 AM »

But the estimates are based on the 2000 Census.  Illegal immigrants may avoid participating in the Census.  They likely move more frequently, so that they were no longer around when followup was done.  In cases where some members of the household are legal and others not, there might be underreporting.  So if a legal resident family has an illegal cousin living with them, he might not show up on the census form. 
Non-participation is risky, and participation is not, so I doubt the effect is large. The 2000 census (unlike the 1990 one) was widely applauded as having done a good job of counting everybody, which explains this:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
What is the risk of not participating?  You get something in the mail, you throw it in the trash.  By the time the Census Bureau follows up in person, you've moved.

The state agency population estimates in Nevada and Arizona are diverging from the Census Bureau estimates for those states.  Why?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 05:52:23 AM »

That forces you to move, though.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 07:25:49 AM »

Coincidental transiency maybe?  Couldn't that account for the difference?

At least here, I always trust state estimates over Census estimates.  I doubt it's much of a different situation elsewhere.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 12:35:37 AM »

At least here, I always trust state estimates over Census estimates.  I doubt it's much of a different situation elsewhere.

Is there a website that would have state estimates for all 50 states? The only one I've seen is a story on California's state estimate, which was noticably higher than the Census Bureau.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 12:51:08 AM »

Is there a website that would have state estimates for all 50 states? The only one I've seen is a story on California's state estimate, which was noticably higher than the Census Bureau.

Try this:

http://www.census.gov/population/www/coop/contacts.html
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 11:36:52 PM »

Try this:

http://www.census.gov/population/www/coop/contacts.html

Thanks!
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 10:25:17 PM »

No. We have 300m citizens and 30 million illegals.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 07:10:11 AM »

Thanks,
Jacob

I think you can say it like this:

The 2010 census count will show a total US population of about 310 Million people.

Out of these 310 Million counted about 91% (282 Mio.) will be US citizens and 9% (28 Mio.) non-citizens.

(The precentage of non-citizens is steadily increasing, from 3% in 1980 to 5% in 1990 and 7% in 2000)

Experts say that about 60% of the non-citizens are legally in the US - but thatīs just a wild guess. So if we assume that 60% of the 28 Mio. non-citizens are "legally" in the country, it leaves about 11 Million counted non-citizens (=40%), which can be considered illegally in the country. But thatīs just those who co-operate with the census-officials and there are certainly a lot who donīt.

So, basically you can say that there will be 282 Mio. US-citizens by 2010, 15-20 Mio. "legal" non-citizens and about 5-20 Mio. "Illegals" of which about 50% will show up in the count of 310 Mio. while the rest remains underground during the count ...

http://www.cis.org/articles/2005/sactestimony120605.html
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies