Rate the following countries from most to least responsible for world war in 1914
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:00:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Rate the following countries from most to least responsible for world war in 1914
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rate the following countries from most to least responsible for world war in 1914  (Read 254 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 10, 2024, 04:51:06 PM »

Germany
Austria-Hungary
Serbia
Russia
Ottomans
France
Britain
If possible please rank all of them.
slothdem

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 10:16:28 AM »

1. Germany
2. France
--------------
3. Serbia
4. Russia
5. Austria-Hungary
6. Ottoman Turkey
--------------
7. Britain
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2024, 12:32:34 PM »

1. Germany
2. France
--------------
3. Serbia
4. Russia
5. Austria-Hungary
6. Ottoman Turkey
--------------
7. Britain

Why is Serbia so low? They sponsored a terrorist attack that killed a major government official in another country.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2024, 02:28:18 PM »

1. Germany
2. France
--------------
3. Serbia
4. Russia
5. Austria-Hungary
6. Ottoman Turkey
--------------
7. Britain

I would be VERY curious to hear the rationale behind this list ... I assume you are assigning only responsibility to having the conflict escalate to "the Great War" and not for any conflict whatsoever?  I mean, I have some (admittedly novice) real critiques here.

1. Germany - Largely considered a driving force in escalating the conflict and preemptively invading France (though I'm not sure you can really blame them given where things were headed).  However, Germany is MOSTLY criticized for invading neutral countries ... not for STARTING the war.

2. France - This must flow from the thought process that if Germany is #1, France must be #2 since this solidified it as a two-front war?  However, all France did was back its ally Russia, as it had pledged to do, and then defended itself against a German invasion...?

3. Serbia - This one is at least fair.  I feel like people let their (justified) contempt for so much about the Central Powers REALLY let them sort of brush away the fact that Serbia engaged in state-sponsored terrorism, lol...

4. Russia - How is Russia less responsible than France, exactly?  The only way you can make ANYBODY more responsible than Austria-Hungary and Serbia is to assign responsibility to merely honoring alliances ... and Russia had a much more direct connection to the beginning of the conflict than France.

5. Austria-Hungary - So A-H ranks this low presumably because you think they have some sort of right to be upset that their heir was assassinated with the likely aid of the Serbian government ... but if Serbia is more responsible than Austria-Hungary, why is Austria-Hungary's ally more responsible than all three of Serbia's allies...?

6. Ottoman Empire - How is the Ottoman Empire more responsible for the war than Britain when they entered the war later?

7. Britain - See above...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies