Who would you have voted for--Dem primaries??? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:55:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who would you have voted for--Dem primaries??? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who would you have voted for--Dem primaries???  (Read 19966 times)
gorkay

« on: December 25, 2007, 06:04:54 PM »

The 1912 election is one of the most fascinating in American history. Someone wrote a very good book about it just a couple of years ago. I can't remember the title or author, though; can anyone out there help?

There is no way Taft would have won that election under any circumstances. The electorate was more liberal (or "progressive") than probably at any other time in American history, and there was no way he was going to convince anyone (although he tried) that he was a liberal candidate. If TR had gotten the Republican nomination, he probably would have won, although it's not certain-- Wilson was a strong candidate and the Democrats had done well in the 1910 mid-terms, so they were in the ascendancy. Also, in a Wilson-Roosevelt contest, there may well have been a conservative third-party candidate, and if he was a Republican, as would have been likely, he could have drawn some of the conservative Republican vote away from TR.

I'll be back with my primary picks. I participated in a lot of them but need to refresh my memory as to all the candidates who ran in particular years.
gorkay

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 06:13:09 PM »

I'll go back to 1968, since that was the year I started following politics.

2008: Biden (though he'll probably be out by the time I get to vote)
2004: Clark initially, then Kerry (I voted for Kerry in the primary)
2000: Gore
1996: Clinton
1992: Clinton
1988: Babbitt initially, then Dukakis (Babbitt was out by the time I got to vote)
1984: Mondale
1980: Carter
1976: kept holding out for Humphrey, so I never endorsed anyone
1972: Muskie
1968: Kennedy
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies