Biden might not make Ohio ballot (UPDATE: DeWine calls special session to change law)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:38:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Biden might not make Ohio ballot (UPDATE: DeWine calls special session to change law)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Biden might not make Ohio ballot (UPDATE: DeWine calls special session to change law)  (Read 2354 times)
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2024, 05:07:45 PM »
« edited: May 23, 2024, 04:53:41 PM by GeorgiaModerate »

You don't see any blue avatars now
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 05:11:27 PM »

Okay, I'm all for Democrats being on the ballot on all 50 states, but this is funny.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 05:14:59 PM »

Paul Disantis, chief legal counsel for the Ohio secretary of state, laid out the options for getting Biden on the ballot in a Friday letter addressed to Ohio Democratic Party Chairwoman Liz Walters ...

“I am left to conclude that the Democratic National Committee must either move up its nominating convention or the Ohio General Assembly must act by May 9, 2024 (90 days prior to a new law’s effective date) to create an exception to this statutory requirement.”

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/06/politics/biden-ohio-ballot-election-conflict/index.html

This is odd.
Why didn't the DNC see this, before selecting their date?
Randy Marsh
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2024, 05:21:56 PM »

Bad on LaRose for notifying the DNC. It's their responsibility to follow the laws as written
super6646
Canada

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 05:23:02 PM »

Ya this isn't going to happen lol.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2024, 05:24:34 PM »

Democrats expect that the rules will be waived for them while of course they play hardball against Green party ballot access.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2024, 05:34:05 PM »

This law has been in effect since 2014. The 2020 Republican convention was August 24–27 which is also technically too late.

In the back of my mind I seem to recall something like this coming up before and the courts ruling in favor of of the national party. I'm going to have to do some googling.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2024, 05:35:56 PM »

I am sure that everyone who argued that it would be undemocratic to keep Trump, who broke Colorado primary ballot access rules by having engaged in insurrection against the United States, a court ruled, after having previously taken an oath to support the Constitution of the United States as an officer of the United States, another court ruled, off the Colorado ballot will also argue that it would be undemocratic to keep Biden off the Ohio general election ballot because the nominating convention takes place 1 week late.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2024, 05:42:49 PM »

This law has been in effect since 2014. The 2020 Republican convention was August 24–27 which is also technically too late.

In the back of my mind I seem to recall something like this coming up before and the courts ruling in favor of of the national party. I'm going to have to do some googling.
The legislature made a one time remedy for it back then since both conventions were too late.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2024, 05:48:04 PM »

It's not like Biden is going to win Ohio so there is no point in them doing this.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2024, 05:52:13 PM »

I'm 99.99999999% sure Joe Biden/Kamala Harris will be on the ballot as Democrats in Ohio but should the Republican SOS and Legislature play games Biden Harris could run as Independents with 5,000 signatures by August 7th.
redjohn
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2024, 06:05:34 PM »

I'm 99.99999999% sure Joe Biden/Kamala Harris will be on the ballot as Democrats in Ohio but should the Republican SOS and Legislature play games Biden Harris could run as Independents with 5,000 signatures by August 7th.

This would certainly result in the highest number of counties a third-party candidate has won since 1992 (Perot won 15 counties nationwide in 1992 (not consequential at all, of course, but interesting factoid).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2024, 06:08:38 PM »

Paul Disantis, chief legal counsel for the Ohio secretary of state, laid out the options for getting Biden on the ballot in a Friday letter addressed to Ohio Democratic Party Chairwoman Liz Walters ...

“I am left to conclude that the Democratic National Committee must either move up its nominating convention or the Ohio General Assembly must act by May 9, 2024 (90 days prior to a new law’s effective date) to create an exception to this statutory requirement.”

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/06/politics/biden-ohio-ballot-election-conflict/index.html

This is odd.

Biden isn't contesting OH
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2024, 06:15:42 PM »

This would certainly result in the highest number of counties a third-party candidate has won since 1992 (Perot won 15 counties nationwide in 1992 (not consequential at all, of course, but interesting factoid).

Since we are already in fantasy land Democrats could just have fun with it and run an "Independent" ticket of Tim Ryan/Lebron James.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2024, 06:59:29 PM »

This is odd.

I mean they should at least try to prop up Brown, though I'm not going to be surprised if they triage him as he's not a coastal elite stooge.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2024, 07:17:52 PM »

This doesn't make any sense at all.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2024, 07:22:41 PM »

Every election year we have stories like this and every time both tickets make it to the ballot.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2024, 08:09:24 PM »

This is odd.

I mean they should at least try to prop up Brown, though I'm not going to be surprised if they triage him as he's not a coastal elite stooge.

This whole chip on the shoulder act that some people have is ridiculous. Not one single Democrat believes this about Brown. The whole "Elitism/Illuminati" conspiracy is old and tired. Besides, most coastal areas aren't even elite outside of a few pockets that are mostly very Republican.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2024, 08:10:04 PM »

Yeah this is not going to happen and SCOTUS will almost certainly rule in Biden’s favor here.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2024, 08:14:20 PM »

This is odd.

Triaging Brown would almost certainly hand the Senate to His Holiness Mitch McConnell John Cornyn on a silver platter, so it would not seem very smart to do that.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2024, 10:14:50 PM »

Brown is certainly leading all of his opponents in every poll, I doubt that he loses anyways
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2024, 10:51:44 PM »

Every election year we have stories like this and every time both tickets make it to the ballot.
Yeah I remember the same thing about Trump 2020 in CO. It never actually pans out.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2024, 11:04:33 PM »

You're thinking of Minnesota in 2016. The GOP didn't do its paperwork properly and was in danger of being kept off the ballot but MN Supreme Court basically said "no, that's stupid" and left Trump on.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2024, 11:40:39 PM »

You're thinking of Minnesota in 2016. The GOP didn't do its paperwork properly and was in danger of being kept off the ballot but MN Supreme Court basically said "no, that's stupid" and left Trump on.

Thank you. Of all states I should have known that one Smiley
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2024, 12:07:46 AM »

It's not like Biden is going to win Ohio so there is no point in them doing this.

Taking Biden off the ballot in Ohio would have cut his popular vote margin in 2020, from 1.5% to 2.8%. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies