Colin Wixted/Jas Presidential Townhall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 11:10:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Colin Wixted/Jas Presidential Townhall
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Colin Wixted/Jas Presidential Townhall  (Read 2538 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2007, 02:09:59 PM »

Since the Presidential debate never really took off let's take a more direct approach for all those who want to ask a question to either myself or Jas.

So please if you have a question concerning the campaign, my stance on the issues, my Vice President's stance on the issues, or our records as Atlasian public servants please ask in this thread and I'll make sure to answer your question if I deem it appropriate. I'd like to thank, in advance, all the people who make use of this townhall to increase their knowledge about the Wixted/Jas candidacy.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 05:59:17 PM »

I ask this to both the Presidential candidate Wixted and the Vice-presidential candidate Jas:

If elected, what would your relationship be with PPT Porce?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 06:41:02 PM »

I ask this to both the Presidential candidate Wixted and the Vice-presidential candidate Jas:

Well, first off, there is a possibility that he wont be PPT for the next Senate, either because he doesn't want to run for the office or is not elected by the Senate. As for his plans concerning this I haven't really talked to him about it.

If Porce is PPT in the next Senate I would try to work with him fully as he and I have always had a good working relationship throughout our time in Atlasia. I would engage with the PPT and other members of the Senate to create a specific Presidential agenda which would be taken up by the Senate. I feel that it is necessary to keep a calm and balanced approach when dealing with the Senate and making sure that the executive knows the views and opinions of the Senate and that the Senate is informed of the agenda and opinions of the executive, whether they are my own opinions or Vice President Jas'.

I have a full believe that the Senate will choose a competent and wise PPT for the next Senate just as they have in all other circumstances and I look forward to working with the PPT through mutual cooperation and active involvement in Senate affairs and activities. The President's job needs to be proactive and needs to involved in the legislative affairs of the nation. A President cannot sit on the side lines and just sign legislation for his entire term. The President needs to come up with a clear executive agenda and use his powers as the leader of this nation to make sure that this agenda that he has presented to the people becomes law.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 07:04:02 PM »

May I say that I'm glad that we're holding this townhall meeting - it provides what could be a valuable opportunity for Atlasians to become better acquainted with our campaign.

Thanks for the question.

As the President has said, it's not a given that the Seante will elect Porce to be the PPT when it re-convenes. In any event, my relationship with whoever the PPT would, I hope, be much the same whosoever holds that office.

As Vice President, I would hope, where possible to aid the PPT in the carrying out of his role. The role of President Pro Tempore is a challenging and difficult one and one which I've never envied the occupant from holding. I plan on consulting with the incoming PPT on what form co-operation between us would take, whether that would be as effectively both of us pushing forward Senate business (as in the Vice Presidency of Emsworth) or in more peripheral but nonetheless useful ways, such as maintaining a Senate Notice Board. I wouldn't wish the PPT to feel threatened by my position, but nonetheless I would be eager to ensure that the Senate's efficiency should be maximised.

As a Senator, indeed as an Atlasian, I have always tried to be civil and respectful with others. While I may vehemently disagree with someone on a political issue, I nonetheless hope that I have at all times respected the decorum of the Senate. Whosoever the PPT may be, I would hope to retain a cordial relationship. With regard to Porce specifically, I have respect for his politics, his political record and his contribution to Atlasia. On a personal level, I see no reason why there should be any significant difficulties in achieving an effective working relationship.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 01:06:18 AM »

I'm undecided as of now, as The General lost my support following his lack of campaigning, why should I support you?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 01:34:29 PM »

I'm undecided as of now, as The General lost my support following his lack of campaigning, why should I support you?

Preston's activity levels in Atlasia, either in office or in this campaign are both concerning. His running-mate, Speed of Sound, is making a brave effort to continue the campaign and his activity levels in each of his Atlasian roles cannot be questioned. Indeed the difference between Preston and SoS's contributions to this campaign are reflective of their activity differences in office - I'd note that Speed of Sound was an active Secretary for External Affairs who engaged in diplomatic missions. Preston merely established an office and failed to engage in any activities. For my money, that ticket would be best turned upside down. The activity and contribution levels of Preston are something which would concern me greatly should he be elected.

Conversely, there can be no doubt about the activity of myself or of Colin Wixted, either on the campaign trail (as seen from the Wixted platform annoucement; the VP devate; Colin's efforts in the Presidential debate; this townhall session) or in our roles as members of the Atlasian Senate.

The key focus of our campaign is to reawaken the Atlasian Presidency, to make it relevant once again in the Atlasian political process. The focus is on forum affairs where our goals are simple but important to aid the revitalisation of our government.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 01:36:36 PM »

This question is for Senator Wixted.

If elected, will you appoint a new cabinet, or retain the current officeholders?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 02:20:20 PM »

I think Jas answered your question in the same manner that I have. If you vote for Wixted/Jas you will be voting for activity and the creation of a new directive for the executive. Preston, in my mind, represents the old order of the Presidency, the silent figurehead who feels that his only duty in office is to sign legislation. I hope to end this belief among Atlasians and give this country four months of true leadership in the office of the Presidency.

As Jas has stated both of our records show a belief in constant activity and involvement both in governmental affairs and the affairs of the country as a whole. Jas was, for six months, the Governor of the Midwest and has been a Senator for almost a year. Throughout these offices he has been a constant contributor to the betterment of Atlasia and has showed himself to be an industrious and active person in all of these positions. My own record is nothing to scoff at either. I have nearly a year and a half in the Senate under my belt as well as eight months on the Supreme Court, with two of those months spend as its Chief Justice.

The basic reasons why you and anyone else should support this ticket is because of experience, the belief that the office of the President should be more that a figurehead; that it is about time to have a President that did his constitution duty, and that we need a President who is both able to compromise and represent all Atlasians as well as able, through his experience, to work with the Senate and be able to deliver a Presidential agenda that actually makes it into law. Both Jas and myself are what many have considered the "swing voters" or the "centrists" of the Senate but the way that I see it is that both of us have the ability to formulate our opinions on an issue by issue basis and that we work with both sides to create an advantageous outcome for all.

A Wixted/Jas ticket is about unity for Atlasia, experience in the office of the Presidency, and a return of the rightful role of the President. If you want a truely active President who has the experience for the job than I believe that I am the candidate for you.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 02:25:41 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2007, 06:51:24 PM by Senator Colin Wixted »

If elected, will you appoint a new cabinet, or retain the current officeholders?

Well there is one person who I will most assuredly ask to return in my cabinet. That person is, of course, SoFA Gabu who has shown himself to be incredibly adept at the office, active in his duties, and a careful and reasonable counter of the votes. He has performed his duties as SoFA excellently and I hope that he would be willing to be a part of my cabinet.

As for the other two positions I still do think that it is necessary to give new people a chance to be in the cabinet if they want to. I think cabinet posts are excellent ways for newer members to get more involved in government and for older more experienced members to move back into the centre of Atlasia after being in background for such a long time. I have several people who I believe would do an excellent job as AG, though I am not willing to say publically at this time who they are as I would like to know their opinions on the matter first. I also have several people in mind for an SoEA position as well.

As it is I most likely will not keep either Preston Caldwell or bullmoose in their current positions and would like to bring new blood into the Attorney General's office and the SoEA's office.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 04:03:40 PM »

Well there is one person who I will most assuredly ask to return in my cabinet. That person is, of course, SoFA Gabu who has shown himself to be incredibly adept at the office, active in his duties, and a careful and reasonable counter of the votes. He has performed his duties as SoFA excellently and I hope that he would be willing to be a part of my cabinet.

As for the other two positions I still do think that it is necessary to give new people a chance to be in the cabinet if they want to. I think cabinet posts are excellent ways for newer members to get more involved in government and for older more experienced members to move back into the centre of Atlasia after being in background for such a long time. I have several people who I believe would do an excellent job as AG, though I am not willing to say publically at this time who they are as I would like to know their opinions on the matter first. I also have several people in mind for an SoEA position as well.

As it is I most likely will not keep either Preston Caldwell or Brandon W in their current positions and would like to bring new blood into the Attorney General's office and the SoEA's office.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bullmoose recently replace him?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 06:51:07 PM »

As it is I most likely will not keep either Preston Caldwell or Brandon W in their current positions and would like to bring new blood into the Attorney General's office and the SoEA's office.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bullmoose recently replace him?

Yeah he did. I wrote down the wrong name. I was looking at the Wiki at the same time and it had Brandon W in the office. Meant to say bullmoose but wrote down Brandon.

Anyway this really does show the lack of exposure and recognition that the AG and SoEA actually have in Atlasian affairs when I can't even properly remember them. Also shows a need to keep an up to date Wiki and Atlasian officers thread available for all registered voters to access. If I have to look back 6 pages in the Government thread to figure out that bullmoose is the current AG then we have a problem.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 10:42:51 AM »

If anyone has any final questions please feel free to throw them forward - polling opens shortly!
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 04:49:10 PM »

The official period for voting is now very near at hand. As the Wixted/Jas campaign draws to a close, I'd like to encourage all Atlasians to use their ballot - Atlasia thrives on elections and I think that for the first occasion in some time we have a series of competitive Senate races and a competitive race to the White House. Each vote matters, please use it.

Finally, I like to say that I've thoroughly enjoyed the campaign (something I didn't think I'd be able to say when I started!). I'd like to thank Colin for inviting me onto the ticket, whatever the result, it's been fun and I think we ran a good campaign. I'd also like to thank all of you who have followed the campaign through the various debates and announcements, I hope they've helped you come to a decision.

Now it's time for me to leave the stage and let the voters take the spotlight. I'm sure there will be plenty of election coverage to keep everyone informed of the latest goings on and whatever the result I imagine I'll be back with a statement when the results become clear.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 05:03:52 PM »

The official period for voting is now very near at hand.  .... Now it's time for me to leave the stage and let the voters take the spotlight.

Er, the election doesn't start for another six hours.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 05:10:43 PM »

The official period for voting is now very near at hand.  .... Now it's time for me to leave the stage and let the voters take the spotlight.

That doesn't really conflict with what he was saying.  Six hours is still "very near at hand", compared to, say, six weeks.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 05:12:04 PM »

That doesn't really conflict with what he was saying.  Six hours is still "very near at hand", compared to, say, six weeks.

Well yeah, but his comment that he's leaving the stage and letting the voters take the spotlight made it sound as if voting was about to begin immediately after his statement.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 05:20:55 PM »

Well yeah, but his comment that he's leaving the stage and letting the voters take the spotlight made it sound as if voting was about to begin immediately after his statement.

Well yeah, but you're a Canadian with a shaggy beard and a name like an asscream.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 05:29:28 PM »

Well yeah, but you're a Canadian with a shaggy beard and a name like an asscream.

At least my username isn't a relatively long and dull sentence.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 06:18:57 PM »

Also, if you guys win, I might be able to get you Huey Lewis for the victory party.

Kidding aside, I've got another question.

If you are elected, what will be you relationship with the left, and organizations therein such as the Progressive Caucus?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2007, 08:58:01 AM »

If you are elected, what will be you relationship with the left, and organizations therein such as the Progressive Caucus?

Well speaking personally, I consider myself to be (broadly speaking) left-of-centre on most issues. I am a member of the Progressive Caucus and was also for a time the Chairman of the Independent Liberal Party.

I would also say that many of the Atlasians whom I hold in greatest esteem are members of the Progressive Caucus. I consider myself to be on good terms with most of the membership (politically and personally) and I would hope to retain that status. I will always have time to listen to the views of the membership and I imagine I shall agree with them more often than not.

The left has nothing to fear from me, nor do I believe they have anything to fear from Colin Wixted - indeed I feel they should welcome him. Look at his long voting record in the Senate and I don't think anyone will see someone who has no time for progessive legislation. I know that Colin will also have time for everyone's views - he is a thoughtful, respectful and considered person, if he were not I would not be on the ticket supporting him.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 06:40:38 PM »

From the way current voting trends are going it looks like the ticket of Colin Wixted & Jas will be Atlasia's new President and Vice President! Congratulations. Sorry for the premature celebrations.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2007, 12:22:12 AM »

If elected, what would you do to solve Hawaii's 100% unemployment rate (me)?

Tongue
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2007, 05:21:37 AM »

From the way current voting trends are going it looks like the ticket of Colin Wixted & Jas will be Atlasia's new President and Vice President! Congratulations. Sorry for the premature celebrations.

I appreciate the sentiment, but this is an Atlasian Presidential election and from experience I know that anything could yet happen.

Tongue

Smiley

Well, the same proviso for the Presidential election applies to the regionals - it's not over 'till it's over. So, I think we should wait and see the results before confirming your unemployment.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2007, 06:20:31 AM »

Tongue
Convince Rob to move there, maybe? Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies