Hispanic will be a race on the census in 2030
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:20:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Hispanic will be a race on the census in 2030
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Hispanic will be a race on the census in 2030  (Read 1378 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2024, 08:50:46 PM »

My other issue here is one that I'll illustrate with two friends of mine.  One is from the Dominican Republic and has a skin color similar to African-Americans.  Another is from Argentina, has blonde hair, and looks no different from white Americans.  Yes, the two share a common first language (spoken with vastly different accents), but their cultures are vastly different (everything from food to sports and plenty in-between).  And, if we're talking about race, they're obviously not the same race as each other (unless we're arguing that there's really only one race and it's all a spectrum of brown).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2024, 08:58:37 PM »

Which category would be the one for jewish people?
None, because the US Census doesn't ask any questions about religion.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2024, 09:21:57 PM »

I bet some Mormons choose Israeli because they see themselves as a lost tribe of Israel.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2024, 09:29:17 PM »

Why should Hispanics receive a category and not South Asians?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2024, 09:58:01 PM »

I support this. Not because I really care about the whole race/ethnicity debate but because I get more map data and it triggers the “anti-woke” crowd.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2024, 10:02:42 PM »

The bigger change that's probably needed is how the census deals with mixed race people.  Someone who is, for example, half white and half (white) Hispanic is generally perceived by society as white.  The "one drop" rule for counting minority populations doesn't jive with reality.

There's no social currency in identifying as white.  The census can't do anything about that.  Ask liberals to stop being racist.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2024, 10:05:04 PM »

Darn, so I won't be considered white anymore Sad

Not that anyone considered me one lol
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2024, 10:06:19 PM »

Its sad how excited liberals get about new racial categories.  Its like presents from Santa.

I wish striving for a colorblind society wasn't thrown in the trash compactor 10 years ago.  We might actually not be a miserable society like we are today.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2024, 10:07:37 PM »

This is dumb, Hispanic isn't a race

There are white hispanics, black hispanics and indigenous hispanics.

But because popular culture considers "hispanic" to be a brown skinned Mexican, that means they should be a seperate race. Thats dumb (most Mexicans are mixed with white and indigenous thus the brown skin)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2024, 12:01:00 AM »

My other issue here is one that I'll illustrate with two friends of mine.  One is from the Dominican Republic and has a skin color similar to African-Americans.  Another is from Argentina, has blonde hair, and looks no different from white Americans.  Yes, the two share a common first language (spoken with vastly different accents), but their cultures are vastly different (everything from food to sports and plenty in-between).  And, if we're talking about race, they're obviously not the same race as each other (unless we're arguing that there's really only one race and it's all a spectrum of brown).
Indeed, it is mindless to claim all Latinos are the same race.
Hopefully this gets pilloried and modified.
As it is I'm inclined to mark myself as being more than one category in the 2030 census if this is used, if that is feasible. All this is nonsense.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2024, 12:44:04 AM »

This is dumb, Hispanic isn't a race

There are white hispanics, black hispanics and indigenous hispanics.

But because popular culture considers "hispanic" to be a brown skinned Mexican, that means they should be a seperate race. Thats dumb (most Mexicans are mixed with white and indigenous thus the brown skin)
There are also Middle Eastern and Asian Hispanics, but that's not the point. A person's race is whatever a society perceives them to be - a Coloured South African would be considered black in the US, while an Iranian would be considered white in Africa. Nobody is forcing anyone to identify in a certain way - they are free to select any combination.

The only other practical solutions to correctly addressing the huge Hispanic population in the US is to either stop tracking race entirely or create a mestizo category, which would be creating a new race that isn't widely recognized in American society.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2024, 08:44:53 AM »

Up to self-identification, but I knew at least one (Sephardic) Jew who was annoyed at having to say they were white rather than Middle Eastern on forms like the census because (paraphrasing) "I have not lived a white experience in America, like most American Jews have."
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2024, 08:51:08 AM »
« Edited: March 29, 2024, 08:56:39 AM by Tintrlvr »

Ashkenazi = White, although if they are actually from Israel they could say MENA
Sephardi/Mizrahi = MENA

Some small groups might be Asian or Black/AA

Also nothing stops someone from checking two boxes if they feel both white and MENA (e.g.). I suspect a lot of Hispanics will check both white and Hispanic, and some will check both AIAN and Hispanic (peek the “Aztec, Maya” examples).
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2024, 09:47:05 AM »

My thoughts on the changes, reminer thatthis data is used for many governmentand government-adjacent programs:

- Hispanic: mixed. Maybe even some would call it political. If there were problems with the previous ethnicity format then it is justified,  but from a outsiders perspective Hispanic + African American or Hispanic + White seemed to reconcile the divisions between identities.

- MENA: Long time coming and needed for a community that lacked existing representation.

- Lack of splitting Asian into South and East: WTF, needed arguably even more that MENA.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2024, 09:53:58 AM »

- Lack of splitting Asian into South and East: WTF, needed arguably even more that MENA.

How about Southeast or Central Asia? What would Afghanistan be? You have to draw the line for granularity somewhere.
kwabbit

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2024, 10:09:30 AM »

My thoughts on the changes, reminer thatthis data is used for many governmentand government-adjacent programs:

- Hispanic: mixed. Maybe even some would call it political. If there were problems with the previous ethnicity format then it is justified,  but from a outsiders perspective Hispanic + African American or Hispanic + White seemed to reconcile the divisions between identities.

- MENA: Long time coming and needed for a community that lacked existing representation.

I don't know if a race -> ethnicity is even that useful.

The census is mostly completed online at this point. I think it would just be easier to make a checklist with the top 50 ancestries shown, with a search bar, and then an other write-in section that has a search bar for the other less common ones.

After that the responses can be allocated to race given whatever ethnicity it is. One issue would be Black Latinos. Tons of Black Latinos identify as White, so the question is if the US government is more interested in their race from an American perspective or from a Latino perspective. The switch to new model on the census suggests that the Census Bureau believes that asking a Latino person if they are White, Black, or Other is not a successful strategy.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2024, 10:34:40 AM »

I’m Lebanese and I’m excited to mark MENA on the census in six years
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2024, 10:41:10 AM »

Seems appropriate for the current way Americans talk about race except if they split MENA from white they should also split south Asian from East Asian. South Asians are genetically and linguistically closer to Europeans than to Chinese
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2024, 03:17:04 PM »

Its sad how excited liberals get about new racial categories.  Its like presents from Santa.

I wish striving for a colorblind society wasn't thrown in the trash compactor 10 years ago.  We might actually not be a miserable society like we are today.

You're laying it on thick here, but I do wonder how most people would react to news of the OMB creating an "Interagency Committee on Race and Ethnicity Statistical Standards" (which was part of this announcement) if it happened during a Republican administration.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2024, 11:58:42 PM »

I guess one thing I'm sad about is this meme no longer works.

TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2024, 12:14:30 AM »

This was supposed to happen in 2020 but then someone in the Trump admin said no. So I guess it will only happen if Biden wins (and even then, maybe a Democrat would have to win in 2028 too).

What’s interesting is that despite Republicans often being thought of as the party that brands MENA/Latinos as the “other”, they are actually the ones who support the idea of white Latinos/white Middle Easterners.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2024, 12:47:52 AM »

What will be the effect of this in future redistriting?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2024, 01:32:37 AM »

What will be the effect of this in future redistriting?

None, unless fewer Afro-Latinos (or Latino-Asians or Indigenous Latinos) identify as such on a census going forward; this can occasionally affect VRA compliance assessment at the margins, mainly in NYC.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2024, 06:13:42 AM »

Depends. Rashida Jones and Natalie Portman are both Jewish, but only one is considered "white". Of course, people like David Duke would see neither woman as white.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2024, 10:33:32 AM »

“Subcontinental” and “Non-Subcontinental” works for the time being.

This was supposed to happen in 2020 but then someone in the Trump admin said no. So I guess it will only happen if Biden wins (and even then, maybe a Democrat would have to win in 2028 too).

What’s interesting is that despite Republicans often being thought of as the party that brands MENA/Latinos as the “other”, they are actually the ones who support the idea of white Latinos/white Middle Easterners.
It’s the “anti-minority idpol” line of thought; they want “White” to be as expansive as possible.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies