RIP Joe Lieberman
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:13:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  RIP Joe Lieberman
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: RIP Joe Lieberman  (Read 1616 times)
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2024, 08:16:16 AM »

Joe Lieberman supported the Iraq invasion and opposed the Public Option. He prevented Gore from winning in 2008 and tried to help McCain win in 2008.

I have nothing nice to say about him. My condolences are to the victims and families that died from lack of healthcare.

I am against the idea that every villain in history deserves a heart felt eulogy. Same when Kissinger died.

This is definitely not true. If there's a singular reason why Gore lost in 2000, it's because Clinton pissed off the hard-line Cuban anti-communists in Florida.
A better VP would have won New Hampshire or Missouri. Someone like John Kerry or Dick Gephardt.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2024, 08:24:00 AM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2024, 09:06:19 AM »

Joe Lieberman supported the Iraq invasion and opposed the Public Option. He prevented Gore from winning in 2008 and tried to help McCain win in 2008.

I have nothing nice to say about him. My condolences are to the victims and families that died from lack of healthcare.

I am against the idea that every villain in history deserves a heart felt eulogy. Same when Kissinger died.

This is definitely not true. If there's a singular reason why Gore lost in 2000, it's because Clinton pissed off the hard-line Cuban anti-communists in Florida.
A better VP would have won New Hampshire or Missouri. Someone like John Kerry or Dick Gephardt.
John Kerry, the first man I ever voted for President and who I approve of far more than Lieberman, would definitely have not have been a better VP, LOL. In fact Lieberman is arguably the reason Gore even won Florida and was done in by those hijinks, he mobilized the elderly Jewish voters in Florida.

Of all the very many people to blame for the 2000 election, Lieberman ranks pretty low on the list. Similarly of all the things you can attack and blame him for, which is also a very long list, that one is pretty low as well.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2024, 09:07:19 AM »

This is an odd twist:

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2024, 09:08:13 AM »

John Kerry, the first man I ever voted for President and who I approve of far more than Lieberman, would definitely have not have been a better VP, LOL. In fact Lieberman is arguably the reason Gore even won Florida and was done in by those hijinks, he mobilized the elderly Jewish voters in Florida.

Of all the very many people to blame for the 2000 election, Lieberman ranks pretty low on the list. Similarly of all the things you can attack and blame him for, which is also a very long list, that one is pretty low as well.

Nader and the bizarre screwup with the butterfly ballot were probably the biggest factors, even with the Cuban-American issue. What a strange election.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2024, 09:08:52 AM »

This is an odd twist:

Not really - they were both classy individuals and there didn't seem to be much bad blood between them after the election.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2024, 09:55:18 AM »

He would have been a better VP than Cheney. I'm going to leave it here. RIP.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2024, 11:05:29 AM »

Had the GOP picked him as their 2008 VP candidate he MIGHT have gotten McCain elected.  McCain was the most popular Republican that year, and that was the consensus of most polls over time, but Palin was a horrible pick and cost him votes.  

There is no scenario where Republicans win in 2008, regardless who McCain picks as VP. If anything, Lieberman would have made McCain lose even more from conservatives staying home. Hence McCain picking Palin. Read "Hope, Change and Nutmeg" on alternatehistory.com
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2024, 11:08:40 AM »

He would have been a better VP than Cheney. I'm going to leave it here. RIP.
That's a very LOW bar.

I'm not going to say what I truly feel about Lieberman otherwise I would get in trouble lol.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2024, 11:24:58 AM »

GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2024, 01:36:28 PM »

I'll say nothing.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2024, 01:58:00 PM »

Being attacked by convicted felon Roger Stone is the biggest badge of honor Lowell Weicker could ever dream of.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2024, 02:33:10 PM »

Lieberman and Lowell Weicker were 11 years apart in age yet died less than a year apart from each other.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2024, 02:35:43 PM »

Being attacked by convicted felon Roger Stone is the biggest badge of honor Lowell Weicker could ever dream of.

It's literally insane from today's perspective that he ran to the right of a Republican back in the day.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2024, 03:33:49 PM »

It's literally insane from today's perspective that he ran to the right of a Republican back in the day.

Even back then as in most southern races the Republican nominee was to the right of the democratic one . So for it to happen in CT out of all states is pretty shocking
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2024, 04:30:41 PM »

This is an odd twist:

Not really - they were both classy individuals and there didn't seem to be much bad blood between them after the election.

Yeah, it's clear Lamont has had a far more successful career post 2006 than leaveerman did, and while he will not be as widely remembered he will almost certainly be better remembered.

It's classy of him to do this, but it would have been Petty as hell for him not to. It's easier to be magnanimous in Victory.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2024, 04:49:44 PM »

Btw, you may not think Lieberman was a great VP pick for Gore, but know that it could have been SO much worse: https://twitter.com/wildstein/status/1773142722003501311

Lol, I think Menendez being Cuban is probably enough to flip at least 600 votes in Florida... Gore probably would've won if he picked him.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2024, 04:52:18 PM »

Btw, you may not think Lieberman was a great VP pick for Gore, but know that it could have been SO much worse: https://twitter.com/wildstein/status/1773142722003501311

Lol, I think Menendez being Cuban is probably enough to flip at least 600 votes in Florida... Gore probably would've won if he picked him.

Bob Graham is the obvious pick.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2024, 05:29:13 PM »

Lol you must remember that Jeb Bush was just as popular as DeSantis was in FL

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2024, 07:48:27 PM »

Might not have won Iowa or New Mexico...or both.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2024, 07:57:10 PM »

Al Gore should have picked Bob Graham, and John Kerry should have picked Dick Gephardt.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2024, 06:50:50 AM »

If Gore wins Florida, he doesn't need these two.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2024, 10:19:37 AM »

The biggest question really is can he hold WI which is another state he barely won . In fact Gore winning FL but losing WI NM and either IA or OR means the final outcome of the election is 269-269.

In that case Joe Lieberman probably becomes vice president if Gore is allowed to break the tie breaking vote .
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2024, 01:00:39 PM »

The biggest question really is can he hold WI which is another state he barely won . In fact Gore winning FL but losing WI NM and either IA or OR means the final outcome of the election is 269-269.

In that case Joe Lieberman probably becomes vice president if Gore is allowed to break the tie breaking vote .
Or Menendez, as that was the scenario being discussed.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2024, 02:21:26 PM »

Another one of the greats is gone, every day our nation's politics become more lost.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies