2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:28:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2016  (Read 2847 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« on: June 17, 2007, 11:54:30 AM »

If Fred Thompson wins election and then reelection, or any Republican for that matter, will the Democrats still be the major party competing in the 2016 election against the Republicans?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 12:14:03 PM »

Why wouldn't they be?

In the past there have been longer periods of unbroken White House control by one party, and the underdog party remained intact.

Because of the fact that they have such high hopes and if they crashed that bad their would be such internal uprisings
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 01:38:33 PM »

Why wouldn't they be?

In the past there have been longer periods of unbroken White House control by one party, and the underdog party remained intact.

Because of the fact that they have such high hopes and if they crashed that bad their would be such internal uprisings

You seem quite certain of this.  'Internal uprisings' I might agree with you on to an extent, but to suggest that the Democratic party itself would somehow collapse or whatever and be replaced by 2016 is a stretch.  The GOP survived the unexpected disappointment of the 1948 election, didn't it?

I think then though the party was united for the 48' election, the Democrats are already in shambles and with the media of today any internal uprising will get overplayed and could lead to the party splitting in two.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 07:50:26 PM »

Oh, for f**k's sake, not another "the opposing party might die off" wet dream.  If the Republicans could survive through the days of FDR and Truman, the Democratic Party can survive another Republican presidency.  Need I remind you that the Democratic Party currently holds a majority in both sections of Congress, something that the Republicans did not even come close to doing during most of the days of FDR?  The Republicans were practically a nonentity during those days, and they came back.

My point is is that they were able to do it because the general public was not really even that aware of what was going on, especially not the behind the scenes stuff.  I think today with the way the media is and the hatred of the two-party system the media is gearing to help one of the parties collapse.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies