|           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:29:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2016  (Read 2849 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2007, 11:54:30 AM »

If Fred Thompson wins election and then reelection, or any Republican for that matter, will the Democrats still be the major party competing in the 2016 election against the Republicans?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 12:00:36 PM »

Why wouldn't they be?

In the past there have been longer periods of unbroken White House control by one party, and the underdog party remained intact.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 12:14:03 PM »

Why wouldn't they be?

In the past there have been longer periods of unbroken White House control by one party, and the underdog party remained intact.

Because of the fact that they have such high hopes and if they crashed that bad their would be such internal uprisings
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 12:23:24 PM »

Why wouldn't they be?

Because of the fact that they have such high hopes and if they crashed that bad their would be such internal uprisings

You seem quite certain of this.  'Internal uprisings' I might agree with you on to an extent, but to suggest that the Democratic party itself would somehow collapse or whatever and be replaced by 2016 is a stretch.  The GOP survived the unexpected disappointment of the 1948 election, didn't it?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 01:38:33 PM »

Why wouldn't they be?

You seem quite certain of this.  'Internal uprisings' I might agree with you on to an extent, but to suggest that the Democratic party itself would somehow collapse or whatever and be replaced by 2016 is a stretch.  The GOP survived the unexpected disappointment of the 1948 election, didn't it?

I think then though the party was united for the 48' election, the Democrats are already in shambles and with the media of today any internal uprising will get overplayed and could lead to the party splitting in two.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 01:48:51 PM »

Why wouldn't they be?

I think then though the party was united for the 48' election, the Democrats are already in shambles and with the media of today any internal uprising will get overplayed and could lead to the party splitting in two.

no it won't I see the Democrats going along with Northeastern liberals for 2008 and 2016 before finally turning towards a nomenation of a more moderate to conservative Southern or Midewestern Democrat. Maybe someone like Harold Ford, Mark Pryor, Claire McCaskill, Brian Schweitzer, or someone of those poltical leanings.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 03:25:53 PM »

This just sounds like wishful thinking on your part.  Besides, if you believe the Democratic party is in a "shambles", I dread to think how the GOP must seem.  Since their disastrous 2006 elections, their President's consistently awful approval ratings, and now outright intra-party civil war over the immigration bill, it's the Republicans who are closer to an "internal uprising".
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 04:40:34 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2007, 04:42:31 PM by SoFA Gabu »

Oh, for f**k's sake, not another "the opposing party might die off" wet dream.  If the Republicans could survive through the days of FDR and Truman, the Democratic Party can survive another Republican presidency.  Need I remind you that the Democratic Party currently holds a majority in both sections of Congress, something that the Republicans did not even come close to doing during most of the days of FDR?  The Republicans were practically a nonentity during those days, and they came back.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 04:49:22 PM »

Oh, for f**k's sake, not another "the opposing party might die off" wet dream.  If the Republicans could survive through the days of FDR and Truman, the Democratic Party can survive another Republican presidency.  Need I remind you that the Democratic Party currently holds a majority in both sections of Congress, something that the Republicans did not even come close to doing during most of the days of FDR?  The Republicans were practically a nonentity during those days, and they came back.

The Democrats can survuve another 8 years of a Republican Presidency, They are most likely going to be holding both Houses of Congress for a while too.   
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 07:50:26 PM »

My point is is that they were able to do it because the general public was not really even that aware of what was going on, especially not the behind the scenes stuff.  I think today with the way the media is and the hatred of the two-party system the media is gearing to help one of the parties collapse.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 08:04:15 PM »

Need I remind you that the Democratic Party currently holds a majority in both sections of Congress, something that the Republicans did not even come close to doing during most of the days of FDR?

Well to be honest they took the House in 1946, though that was after FDR, but yes you're not going to see a party die just because it's out of power for 16 years. You can see some major changes in the party, compare Calvin Coolidge to Dwight D. Eisenhower or John Breckenridge to Grover Cleveland, but complete destruction of a party would take something more than 16 years out of power.

Even then, though, you might destroy one party but another will come and take its place anyway, it's always happened. We've only had about 8 years of single party rule in this country, from 1820 to 1828, and those years were pretty rocky for that single party. Also I don't know why you'd want such a system. Why turn a free and fair democracy into Singapore?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 10:02:24 PM »

Need I remind you that the Democratic Party currently holds a majority in both sections of Congress, something that the Republicans did not even come close to doing during most of the days of FDR?

Well to be honest they took the House in 1946, though that was after FDR

Yeah, I said "most of the days" after remembering that fact.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 10:18:29 AM »

If Fred Thompson wins election and then reelection, or any Republican for that matter, will the Democrats still be the major party competing in the 2016 election against the Republicans?

Nope, if the Democrats can't win after 2012, the party will be no more. All known Democrats will run away to France and cry. The only remaining Democrats will be Moderate to Conservatives, and they will only be allowed to stay in America if they become Republicans.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 01:39:11 AM »

Well, that happened in the 20s and that didn't stop a new liberal wave. Remember "The Lost Generation"....now, whether I believe if "the party will be over". Well, with the sensationalist media and the collapse of confidence in the GOP, the democrats are putting most of their chips on the table. However, political parties are resilient. If the Dems lose the presidency- No, I don't think they will collapse. Even if they have to wait until 2020.  If they lose the Senate OR the House- maybe...probably...the dems need SOME power at this point to justify their existence in these dark times, if they cannot have any power at this point, many leaders may decide to form their own third parties. What would basically happen would be that by year after the election, there would be several congressmen and governors forming thier own party. Still, the dems would be a major party until the third parties siphon more than 20 of the democratic base, after that, a new party will form or just a group that is anti-government. Maybe if one party takes over, there would be a political movement like there was in the 70s in Taiwan where there was The Party and those who are Not The Party.

Ramblings are fun. I hope my party doesn't collaspe, but if it does, that just means new oppurtunity
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies