leading 2012 Democratic presidential candidates as of early 2009? UPDATED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:35:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  leading 2012 Democratic presidential candidates as of early 2009? UPDATED
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Pick two of the following who you think will be leading 2012 presidential candidates if the GOP wins in '08
Evan Bayh

Wesley Clark

Hillary Clinton

Tom Daschle

John Edwards

Russ Feingold

Al Gore

Brad Henry

John Kerry

Blanche Lincoln

Claire McCaskill

Janet Napolitano

Barack Obama

Martin O'Malley

Deval Patrick

Ed Rendell

Bill Richardson

Bill Ritter

Brian Schweitzer

Kathleen Sebelius

Eliot Spitzer

Mark Udall

Mark Warner

Jim Webb

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: leading 2012 Democratic presidential candidates as of early 2009? UPDATED  (Read 2847 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2007, 07:04:45 PM »

By popular demand, I am resurrecting this poll.  I originally did this poll in March:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=54676.0

but was asked to start it up again, in case opinions have shifted.  Last time, Obama and Warner ran well ahead of everyone else.  Will the same still be true three months later?  Anyway, here's the explanation of the poll:

OK, for the purpose of this poll, assume the Republicans win the 2008 presidential election.  Whichever scenario for a GOP victory in '08 that you think is most likely, assume that that happens.  Now here's the question: In the spring of 2009 (less than two years from now), who do you think will be regarded as the early leading contenders for the 2012 Democratic nomination?  Pick two choices: the "famous frontrunner" and the "unknown frontrunner".

The "famous frontrunner" is whoever you think will be regarded as the early favorite among the potential candidates who are already well known nationally by the spring of '09.  This will probably be whoever is leading in the really early 2012 polls taken in early 2009.  (In early 2005, this would have been Hillary Clinton for the Dems, and either Giuliani or McCain for the GOP.)  This doesn't have to be someone who's already well known as of 2007!  It could be someone you think will become famous within the next two years.  Maybe as the 2008 VP candidate or one of the unsuccessful '08 presidential candidates.  (For example, Richardson isn't that well known now, but he'll likely become famous if he does OK in the '08 primaries, so you could pick him.)

The "unknown frontrunner" is someone who you think will still be relatively unknown by the spring of 2009, but will be regarded by political insiders as a leading candidate for the nomination (for whatever reason).  Throughout much of 2005 and into early 2006, George Allen and Mark Warner were arguably the "unknown frontrunners" for the GOP and Democratic nominations for '08 respectively.  They had very little national name recognition and didn't do well in national polls, but political insiders were predicting that they would be leading candidates for their nominations.  (Obviously, it didn't work out that way in this case.)

I know I should maybe have split this into two separate polls, but I prefer combining the discussion in one place.  Just click two boxes in the poll, one for the "famous frontrunner" and one for the "unknown frontrunner".  (Apologies if your favorite candidate is not included.  I obviously couldn't cover everybody.  And I have made a couple of changes to the possible choices since March, but they're mostly the same.)

My picks (haven't changed since March):
famous frontrunner: Barack Obama (most likely '08 candidate to have a decent chance the next time if he doesn't make it this time, IMHO)
unknown frontrunner: I think it might be Mark Warner again.  Though Eliot Spitzer is a possibility, as NY governors tend to get noticed by the national media.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 07:08:16 PM »

For the sake of history, these were the results when this poll was done in March:

(name, followed by # of votes)

Obama 7
Warner 7
Spitzer 3
Bayh 2
Henry 2
Clark 1
Daschle 1
Feingold 1
Kerry 1
Ritter 1
Schweitzer 1
Sebelius 1
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 07:11:07 PM »

Spitzer will be the famous candidate.

Henry will be the unknown candidate.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 11:57:56 PM »

Who voted for Gore? Angry  Would you give it up already?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 01:41:11 AM »

Well, John Edwards will be a candidate for the rest of his life, so I chose him and Obama.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 02:27:51 AM »

I'd say it will be out of these 4 candidates that will be the frontrunners for the 2012 Democratic Presidential nomination, if they lose to the Republicans in 2008.

- Governor Brad Henry (Oklahoma)
- Governor Eliot Spitzer (New York)
- Former Governor Mark Warner (Virginia)
- Senator Barack Obama (Illinois)
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 10:48:45 PM »

I still think that Barack Obama and Mark Warner would be leading contenders. Though I also agree that Brad Henry and Eliot Spitzer would be strong candidates. I think they would likely be the first tier candidates.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 05:16:20 PM »

Well, John Edwards will be a candidate for the rest of his life, so I chose him and Obama.

For the rest of his life?  Are you planning to assassinate him?
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 09:14:55 PM »

I'd like them to nominate Henry or Schweitzer in '12, but I doubt it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 02:30:18 AM »

There are many good choices there. It's too hard for me to pick for my second vote so I'll just go with the clear favorite - Mark Warner. He'll likely either be Senator or Governor by 2010, thrusting him back into the spotlight and he might even be the Dem VP nominee in 2008.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 06:37:32 PM »

I picked Obama and Webb.  Both are very charasmatic speakers but I think that the Naval acadamy will trip up Webb.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 11:00:23 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2007, 07:15:06 PM by Frodo »

1. Barack Obama -he will lose the 2008 nomination to Hillary Clinton, but if she loses in the general election that year (which would be nothing short of incredible given how favored Democrats are to win), he could be the instant front-runner if he decides to run again in 2012.  Since I doubt that even a Democrat as controversial as her would lose next year, I am thinking more of 2016 as a suitable year for both these candidates (Barack Obama and Brad Henry) to run. 

2. Brad Henry -a two term Oklahoma governor and a moderate-to-conservative Democrat.  He would serve to rally those Democrats who want a candidate with more cross-party appeal to independents as well as Republicans, and less beholden to the liberal base. 
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 06:12:19 PM »

2. Brad Henry -a two term Oklahoma governor and a former congressman (as well as a member of the Blue Dog congressional caucus).  He would serve to rally those Democrats who want a candidate with more cross-party appeal to independents as well as Republicans, and less beholden to the liberal base. 

Was Henry a Congressman? Or are you thinking of Brad Carson?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 09:35:04 PM »

2. Brad Henry -a two term Oklahoma governor and a former congressman (as well as a member of the Blue Dog congressional caucus).  He would serve to rally those Democrats who want a candidate with more cross-party appeal to independents as well as Republicans, and less beholden to the liberal base. 

Was Henry a Congressman? Or are you thinking of Brad Carson?

Tongue 

Yeah, I guess I confused Brad Henry with Brad Carson.  Somehow I thought Brad Henry had a congressional background before becoming governor.  My mistake -I'll go edit that post momentarily.......   
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies