feminism and last names
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:05:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  feminism and last names
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: feminism and last names  (Read 681 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2024, 01:00:23 PM »

My wife took my last name. We felt it was important that our family have a common last name for ourselves and our kids to feel unified as our own distinct family. We did discuss the idea of taking her last name at one point, but she had no interest in us doing so (nor did I). It was a bit of paperwork to change but has never been an issue since.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2024, 07:33:20 PM »

I'd view a woman not wanting to take my last name as a major red flag, perhaps a deal-breaker, because it would mean that she doesn't subscribe to Biblical gender roles.  The husband is the head of the family, Biblically speaking.  That's not something for the husband to lord over the wife, but an added responsibility of the man.

How many otherwise qualified candidates have you had to turn away due to this requirement?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2024, 12:04:56 AM »

I'd view a woman not wanting to take my last name as a major red flag, perhaps a deal-breaker, because it would mean that she doesn't subscribe to Biblical gender roles.  The husband is the head of the family, Biblically speaking.  That's not something for the husband to lord over the wife, but an added responsibility of the man.

How many otherwise qualified candidates have you had to turn away due to this requirement?

Probably very few. For all the same BS nicey nice excuses fundamentalist gift for some unadulterated sexism, it's enough of a fairy tale that fundamentalist women are ready and willing to make themselves doormats by any other names with a convenient justification
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies