Stock market hits another record high
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:41:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Stock market hits another record high
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Stock market hits another record high  (Read 1537 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2024, 02:48:45 PM »

The thing is an incredibly bullish sentiment is emerging on Wall Street, companies are not just talking A.I. but spending real dollars to make those investments and it's American companies that are raking up those gains . With the exception of TSMC and a few others like ASML it's really an American story.

Recent rally after the correction is actually a bit more international. VXUS is up by 7% and VT is up by 6% since the low in mid April. Obviously for the past few years VXUS has completely sucked at only 21% gains over 5 years while VT is 53% and SP500 is 82%.

VXUS has largely sucked due to China's economic slowdown. Although historically speaking the US market has usually outperformed international there's been cycles . The 2000's were very much international favoring but the 2010's up until now has been American favoring largely thanks to Big Tech.

International has lagged badly the past decade, I know because I own the Vanguard mutual fund equivalent of VXUS. I also own some of the Chinese big tech stocks individually and they haven't done much of anything. I think they are severely undervalued but still a gamble because of the USA vs. China trade hostilities. BABA just started paying me a dividend for the ADR shares, so I'll wait it out.

Yeah I was looking at Chinese stocks and I think they are somewhat undervalued although they just had a huge rally the past month which makes their valuations more reasonable.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2024, 03:41:46 PM »

Only Trump benefits from this kind of thing.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2024, 04:12:22 PM »

Damn was there something going on globally in May 2020 that might have caused a severe drop in demand for gasoline and thus dropping its price? I forget.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2024, 04:46:59 PM »

Damn was there something going on globally in May 2020 that might have caused a severe drop in demand for gasoline and thus dropping its price? I forget.

Apparently you're not the only one.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2024, 04:50:57 PM »

On a side note its hilarious we still even use the Dow Jones as its a completely arbitrary price weighted measure. It does have the advantage we can compare it historically like say 1 dollar in 1929 is 100 now but at this point we have enough data on computers to just calculate a theoretical SP500 dating back to the early 1900's.

Agree, but the media likes to discuss large numbers, and it sounds better than saying S&P 5300 or whatever.
KakyoinMemeHouse
Rookie
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2024, 05:33:20 PM »

Once again, none of the actual evidence so far has pointed to the supposedly "bad" economy that the MAGAs scream about.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2024, 05:35:08 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2024, 06:57:31 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

Once again, none of the actual evidence so far has pointed to the supposedly "bad" economy that the MAGAs scream about.

Because the Trumpers don't traffic in fact or evidence. They just say whatever they want and know far too many people will believe them.
TechbroMBA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2024, 06:37:00 PM »

So the market closed down today. But I guess when you sh**t out 10 posts a day, you just can’t wait.
GAinDC

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2024, 06:45:09 PM »

So the market closed down today. But I guess when you sh**t out 10 posts a day, you just can’t wait.

And yet the big story is still that it hit 40,000 so a good day for Brandon and America, regardless
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2024, 08:30:18 AM »

The djia could close above 4000 as early as today. I think it will get there (day closing) before June.
GAinDC

« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2024, 09:04:45 AM »

The djia could close above 4000 as early as today. I think it will get there (day closing) before June.

40,000 actually!
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2024, 08:55:36 PM »

Ths Stock Market going up is great for me, and for people who are looking to retire, in that it enhances the solvency of where our retirement dollars come from.  It's not doing much for the working class that need help now with housing costs.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2024, 10:41:29 PM »

On a side note its hilarious we still even use the Dow Jones as its a completely arbitrary price weighted measure. It does have the advantage we can compare it historically like say 1 dollar in 1929 is 100 now but at this point we have enough data on computers to just calculate a theoretical SP500 dating back to the early 1900's.

And Dow is down almost 3 percent from its peak? Why is it down so much? Because market money is shifting to NVDA.NVDA by itself is roughly 6% of SPY and is up by 22% since then making the SPY as a whole flat for the past week. . Everyone is selling everything else and buying into NVDA which isn't represented in the Dow because it is incredibly arbitrary. The reason NVDA isn't a part of Dow is because its a stupid price weighted index. It should probably join the Dow after the split. Still shows uselessness of Dow.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2024, 10:45:23 PM »

And Dow is down almost 3 percent from its peak? Why is it down so much? Because market money is shifting to NVDA.NVDA by itself is roughly 6% of SPY and is up by 22% since then making the SPY as a whole flat for the past week. . Everyone is selling everything else and buying into NVDA which isn't represented in the Dow because it is incredibly arbitrary. The reason NVDA isn't a part of Dow is because its a stupid price weighted index. It should probably join the Dow after the split. Still shows uselessness of Dow.

It doesn't matter. The Dow is massively overrated.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2024, 10:46:09 PM »

It doesn't matter. The Dow is massively overrated.
Of course it is, that was my original post and we got to see it in action.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies