My arguments for supporting goverment based universal healthcare.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:35:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  My arguments for supporting goverment based universal healthcare.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does them have sense?
Yes (supports universal healthcare)

No (supports universal healthcare)

Yes (doesnīt support it)

No (doesnīt support it)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: My arguments for supporting goverment based universal healthcare.  (Read 246 times)
wnwnwn
Peru

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2024, 09:45:49 PM »

A reason why I support this itīs bease I think that it...
... helps to reduce healthcare costs on the economy overall,
... doesnīt impact much market dynamics, as healthcare isnīt a normal service,
... helps to increse labor productivity, especially in the long term,
... helps to reduce income inequaity in the long term,
... helps a bit to reduce crime.

Discuss
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 10:36:33 PM »

Yeah, I agree with all of those points. I consider myself to be overall right-leaning on economic issues, but healthcare is probably the economic issue I'm most left wing on. It should really be viewed as a basic public necessity, similar to things like roads, enucleation, law enforcement, etc.
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 10:38:18 AM »
« Edited: March 22, 2024, 01:48:09 PM by Ontario Tory »

I favour universal healthcare coverage and my argument would is that it's a smart and efficient way to organize society that increases national solidarity. Everyone has access to healthcare as a public service regardless of their economic circumstances, generally has better outcomes in terms of health-related factors like life expectancy and is a boon to social solidarity - we all pay into it and we all use it.

I think your first argument makes sense but there's a caveat to it - it does tend to reduce overall healthcare costs because of fewer middlemen as well as less private sector bureaucracy, but it does tend to increase government spending and it also depends on the health demographics of the population. Is there an ageing population, is there a high obesity rate? Those would also affect the cost of a publicly funded system.

Your second argument also makes sense somewhat, although there's a caveat to this one too because moving to a universal healthcare system would affect market dynamics if it is being implemented in a country that already has a market-based healthcare system. Healthcare is definitely different from most market-based goods and services because healthcare requires a strict regulatory regime to keep it high quality as well as a lot of middlemen when exchanging healthcare services for money, which makes it very expensive to keep it in the private sector. So, I think moving to a public system is a net benefit overall?

I am not sure about whether or not it helps raise labour productivity, but pay for doctors/nurses tends to be higher in private systems (in the US, vs Canada/Europe) so I am not sure if this is true.

I agree it helps reduce income inequality, but I am not sure if it has any impact on crime.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 12:30:59 PM »

I support it because I think a society that is collectively prosperous enough to arrange affordable, accessible healthcare for everybody is morally obliged to do so.

I don't necessarily disagree with OP's arguments (although some are very debatable), but for me they are too neoliberal and they miss the real point of why I support it.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 11:20:08 AM »

Imagine thinking healthcare shouldn't be a gawd-given right.

Y'all need to open your Holy Babbles, and follow the teachings of The Jeebus.

I'm set for life, bruh, through the VA. 

But see how empathy works?

I think that any consistent christian should lean distributionist (maybe too much time reading the Biblia Latinoamericana) , but I'm not the most christian person myself...

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 11:37:35 AM »

I support universal health care because I see it as a right-to-life issue.

Your points are also correct.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2024, 10:14:29 PM »

There is literally no argument against universal healthcare. Obviously liberals and progressives support it but even for people on the right:

"It's too expensive!" Private insurance costs far more as a percentage of GDP

"The government would be bad at controlling it!" Something that everyone uses and is literally life or death would be sorted out quickly, or the politicians in charge of it would see themselves  sorted out quickly.

"It would disincentivize work!" How many people are on welfare and disability because they can't get treatment? Quite a few, actually.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies