NBC: Noem and Scott may well lose veepstakes for being too pro-life
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:51:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  NBC: Noem and Scott may well lose veepstakes for being too pro-life
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: NBC: Noem and Scott may well lose veepstakes for being too pro-life  (Read 948 times)
mjba257
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2024, 07:30:22 AM »

Didn't Trump recently renew his call for a national abortion ban?

All these Trump VP news are noise so far. The press is bored of the fact there was no primary and Trump himself likes to keep attention on his campaign.

16 weeks is hardly a ban, that's a more liberal stance than most of Europe. Now if you're one of those people wanting it up to and even after the moment of birth, even the most minor limitations would be unpalatable to you. But those people are a fringe minority.

Then why didn't Republicans pass a 16 week federal abortion ban in 2017-2018 when they had the presidency and Congress and could have done whatever they wanted?

Why, instead, do Republicans want to force a little 11-year-old girl who gets raped by a pedophile to have a baby? Why do Republicans want to ban IVF? Why do Republicans want women to die in childbirth from pregnancies that have no hope of succeeding?

This is exactly what is wrong with American politics. You attribute the absolute worse intentions to the other side and cite extreme examples to support your claim. People aren't pro-life because "they hate women", just like I don't assume people are pro-choice because they "want to murder children". Me being the pragmatic centrist I am can see the merits of both sides, hence why my stance on this hot button issue is quite nuanced.

Also, let me just that abortion is just another wedge issue used to divide people, when in reality, our country has far more serious issues to attend to. I will loudly proclaim that anyone who cites abortion as their most important issue when voting is extremely privileged and doesn't have any real problems in the world.

Can you tell me where in America any state governor is insisting on elective abortion "up to and even after the moment of birth?" What Democratic members of Congress are proposing that bill?

Multiple Republicans are on the record saying they favor an absolute abortion ban with no exceptions. This is not a "both sides" issue.

Do you think it's "privileged" to care about a woman who had to travel to New York to get an abortion because Louisiana wanted to force her to give birth to a baby that didn't have a head and had zero chance of surviving?

Privileged people will always be able to get abortions, no matter what Republicans do. They will be able to fly to blue states or even to Europe if necessary. Unlike Clarence Thomas, real Americans do not have rich friends who can fly them across the country on private jets when they need to get an abortion because Mississippi or wherever doesn't allow it.

Ralph Northam. And remember he's considered a moderate. Plus, there are several states that have ZERO limitations, meaning yes, you can get an abortion up to the moment of birth. I don't think any state should allow it up to moment of birth, just as I don't think a state should place a total ban with no exceptions.

And rather than cite extreme examples, why not address the fact that the overwhelming majorities of abortions are due to convenience, not necessity. It's become another form of birth control. In an era of easily accessible contraceptives, that's unacceptable.
caf_elections
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 2.09

P
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2024, 08:00:11 AM »

Trump is going to pick a moderate because he has a problem with his moderate wing. He does not need a social conservative like in 2016 when he had a problem with his conservative wing.

The kinds of picks that are possible are Glenn Youngkin and Lee Zeldin.

They aren't "moderates."

I'll concede Lee Zeldin, but how is Glenn Youngkin not a moderate?
He is probably one of the most quiet, out of the way governors in the country, like Phil Scott.
ClassicElectionEnthusiast
Rookie
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2024, 08:46:43 AM »

Trump is going to pick a moderate because he has a problem with his moderate wing. He does not need a social conservative like in 2016 when he had a problem with his conservative wing.

The kinds of picks that are possible are Glenn Youngkin and Lee Zeldin.

They aren't "moderates."

I'll concede Lee Zeldin, but how is Glenn Youngkin not a moderate?
He is probably one of the most quiet, out of the way governors in the country, like Phil Scott.

Case in point being Youngkin recently signing a bill codifying same-sex marriage in Virginia (which sounds an awful lot like a flip-flop compared to when he was running to the right on LGBTQ issues in 2021).
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2024, 06:05:46 PM »

Didn't Trump recently renew his call for a national abortion ban?

All these Trump VP news are noise so far. The press is bored of the fact there was no primary and Trump himself likes to keep attention on his campaign.

16 weeks is hardly a ban, that's a more liberal stance than most of Europe. Now if you're one of those people wanting it up to and even after the moment of birth, even the most minor limitations would be unpalatable to you. But those people are a fringe minority.

Then why didn't Republicans pass a 16 week federal abortion ban in 2017-2018 when they had the presidency and Congress and could have done whatever they wanted?

Why, instead, do Republicans want to force a little 11-year-old girl who gets raped by a pedophile to have a baby? Why do Republicans want to ban IVF? Why do Republicans want women to die in childbirth from pregnancies that have no hope of succeeding?

This is exactly what is wrong with American politics. You attribute the absolute worse intentions to the other side and cite extreme examples to support your claim. People aren't pro-life because "they hate women", just like I don't assume people are pro-choice because they "want to murder children". Me being the pragmatic centrist I am can see the merits of both sides, hence why my stance on this hot button issue is quite nuanced.

Also, let me just that abortion is just another wedge issue used to divide people, when in reality, our country has far more serious issues to attend to. I will loudly proclaim that anyone who cites abortion as their most important issue when voting is extremely privileged and doesn't have any real problems in the world.

Can you tell me where in America any state governor is insisting on elective abortion "up to and even after the moment of birth?" What Democratic members of Congress are proposing that bill?

Multiple Republicans are on the record saying they favor an absolute abortion ban with no exceptions. This is not a "both sides" issue.

Do you think it's "privileged" to care about a woman who had to travel to New York to get an abortion because Louisiana wanted to force her to give birth to a baby that didn't have a head and had zero chance of surviving?

Privileged people will always be able to get abortions, no matter what Republicans do. They will be able to fly to blue states or even to Europe if necessary. Unlike Clarence Thomas, real Americans do not have rich friends who can fly them across the country on private jets when they need to get an abortion because Mississippi or wherever doesn't allow it.

Ralph Northam. And remember he's considered a moderate. Plus, there are several states that have ZERO limitations, meaning yes, you can get an abortion up to the moment of birth. I don't think any state should allow it up to moment of birth, just as I don't think a state should place a total ban with no exceptions.

And rather than cite extreme examples, why not address the fact that the overwhelming majorities of abortions are due to convenience, not necessity. It's become another form of birth control. In an era of easily accessible contraceptives, that's unacceptable.

Planned Parenthood v. Casey has banned abortion beyond fetal viability for over 30 years. You are complaining about something that literally cannot happen.

Please cite when Ralph Northam favored abortion "up to and after birth."

And no, opting not to keep a baby that has no chance of independent survival on life support indefinitely is not "having an abortion after birth." If God really wanted that person to live, they wouldn't need indefinite life support.

Please provide the statistics on how many abortions are performed in the final month of pregnancy for purely elective reasons (no medical complications).

Most women who have abortions already have children. They aren't having an abortion out of "convenience." They are doing it for the sake of the born children they already have.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies