Schumer Calls For New Elections In Israel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:26:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Schumer Calls For New Elections In Israel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Schumer Calls For New Elections In Israel  (Read 1161 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2024, 11:29:38 AM »

What’s missing in this conversation is that Netanyahu regularly and flagrantly interferes in American politics as he likes.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2024, 11:41:02 AM »

What’s missing in this conversation is that Netanyahu regularly and flagrantly interferes in American politics as he likes.

Seems like Fuzzy holds Israel to a lower standard than other countries which is pretty insulting.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2024, 12:49:15 PM »

Netanyahu's reply is also racist. He's basically like "we're Israel not some Banana Republic".
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2024, 10:21:30 PM »

Netanyahu's reply is also racist. He's basically like "we're Israel not some Banana Republic".

ROFL.

Israel isn't a "Banana Republic" in that it's not some unstable government on the order of many in Latin America, which range from unstable democracies unable to fully establish the rule of law to authoritarian dictatorships (often military dictatorships).  Israel is a FUNCTIONING democracy who has elected a leader many in America don't like, but I missed the part where other democracies were required to submit to Regime Change On Demand of the Democratic Party.  (Of course, if Trump demanded Regime Change in Israel for whatever reason, a Democratic House would attempt impeachment for that, alone, so . . .)

In my entire life I have never seen a call for Regime Change in a STABLE DEMOCRACY.  How ridiculous is this?  Just imagine if we a GOP Senator made it a condition of Aid to Ukraine that they have new elections where Zelenskyy isn't the candidate.  We've already gone down that route with an elected Ukrainian President, and look where we're at now.  This is breaking new ground, and not in a good way.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2024, 10:28:29 PM »

In my entire life I have never seen a call for Regime Change in a STABLE DEMOCRACY.  How ridiculous is this?  Just imagine if we a GOP Senator made it a condition of Aid to Ukraine that they have new elections where Zelenskyy isn't the candidate.  We've already gone down that route with an elected Ukrainian President, and look where we're at now.  This is breaking new ground, and not in a good way.

Is anybody surprised that fuzzy is parroting Kremlin propaganda when he talks about the Euromaidan?
Not me.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2024, 05:14:41 AM »

Is anybody surprised that fuzzy is parroting Kremlin propaganda when he talks about the Euromaidan?
Not me.

Whatever one thinks about Victor Yanukovych, he was a democratically elected leader.

A good part of this is water over the dam now.  Russia has certainly forfeited its talking points with its current aggression.  But the United States interfered in the internal affairs of Ukraine in this matter.  Even the MSM in America wrote how Obama would have to justify his role as to why he allowed America to help undo a duly elected democratic leader.

If America wishes to re-evaluate its policy toward Israel going forward, that is one thing.  That can be done through diplomatic talks, appropriate backchannels, etc. But Israel is an ally and a democracy.  This irresponsible course of action by Schumer, which was pretty much signed off on by Biden, is off the rails. 
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2024, 05:24:19 AM »

I don't think this is a way of pandering to pro-Palestinian people. Netanyahu is just bad to work with. He's a bad leader and he's making things worse, which means all our aid to Israel is for nothing. I've said before, if I were president then Israel gets no free money with Netanyahu in charge. I don't know if that's more or less inappropriate than calling for a new election.

Charles deGaulle was bad to work with in the 1960s.  He took a trip to Canada in 1967 and actively joined with Quebec separatists in saying "Long Live Free Quebec!" publicly.  He kicked NATO out of Paris; he's the reason it's now in Brussels. 

I don't recall LBJ (whom deGaulle hated) or Nixon demanding new elections in France.  But nowadays, the only democratically elected leaders that are respected for the sake of "democracy" are the ones that are the faves of the Globalist Left.  Just imagine the reaction to a call for new elections in Brazil in response to their increasing embrace of China.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime step taken solely for the domestic political concerns of the Democratic Party.  It is irresponsible, and it is certainly not in the interest of "democracy". 
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2024, 06:38:33 AM »

Whatever one thinks about Victor Yanukovych, he was a democratically elected leader.

A good part of this is water over the dam now.  Russia has certainly forfeited its talking points with its current aggression.  But the United States interfered in the internal affairs of Ukraine in this matter.  Even the MSM in America wrote how Obama would have to justify his role as to why he allowed America to help undo a duly elected democratic leader.

If America wishes to re-evaluate its policy toward Israel going forward, that is one thing.  That can be done through diplomatic talks, appropriate backchannels, etc. But Israel is an ally and a democracy.  This irresponsible course of action by Schumer, which was pretty much signed off on by Biden, is off the rails. 

Again, this is a guy who supports the January 6th insurrection.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2024, 10:00:45 AM »

I support having an snap election because Bibi needs to fo asap, but I don't think it's a call US politicians should make. Holding new elections is always a domestic issue for each nation and not the business of any foreign officeholder.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2024, 10:44:44 AM »

The United States has every right to set the tone of who and what they will work with. Israel depends on the USA, not the other way around. Bibi has this crazy notion that he calls the shots, he does not. It's good to see a powerful American politician, especially a Jewish person whose support for Israel can not be questioned be the one to say this, if it was somebody else Bibi would be screaming "anti-semitism" or some other nonsense instead of looking at his own failures that are numerous.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2024, 12:47:46 PM »

Chuck Schumer is the Senate Majority leader of the United States of America. After the President and Speaker, he has the most say on how much aid goes to a nation. The US sends Israel more aid than any other nation.

If Schumer says he prefer our ally elects new leadership or aid might start becoming conditional, he has every right to do so.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2024, 01:26:45 PM »

The United States has every right to set the tone of who and what they will work with. Israel depends on the USA, not the other way around. Bibi has this crazy notion that he calls the shots, he does not. It's good to see a powerful American politician, especially a Jewish person whose support for Israel can not be questioned be the one to say this, if it was somebody else Bibi would be screaming "anti-semitism" or some other nonsense instead of looking at his own failures that are numerous.

If the United States is making its aid to an ally in the middle of an existential war conditional on that country ousting its leader, then the United States is not actually an ally to that nation. Fortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case, simply a case of Schumer opining and potentially having the opposite effect of what he wanted.

But make no mistake, Israel absolutely does call the shots on who its leader is. That will likely not be Netanyahu after the next election, unless some people act very stupidly.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2024, 01:43:38 PM »

If the United States is making its aid to an ally in the middle of an existential war conditional on that country ousting its leader, then the United States is not actually an ally to that nation. Fortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case, simply a case of Schumer opining and potentially having the opposite effect of what he wanted.

But make no mistake, Israel absolutely does call the shots on who its leader is. That will likely not be Netanyahu after the next election, unless some people act very stupidly.

No ally has blank check to do whatever they want with America's money, especially if they have publicly made clear their intention to commit war crimes.
Ukraine accepted US aid with conditions, so I don't see why Israel should be an exception.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2024, 02:49:31 PM »

I support having an snap election because Bibi needs to fo asap, but I don't think it's a call US politicians should make. Holding new elections is always a domestic issue for each nation and not the business of any foreign officeholder.

As much as I dislike Netanyahu, I agree. Foreign politicians shouldn't tell a country when to hold a snap election.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2024, 03:06:23 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2024, 03:17:13 PM by All Along The Watchtower »

If the United States is making its aid to an ally in the middle of an existential war conditional on that country ousting its leader, then the United States is not actually an ally to that nation.

Israel is not a treaty ally of the US, correct.  Well OK, it’s a “Major Non-NATO Ally”, but then again, so is Qatar.

You know who is a treaty ally of the US? Turkey. Thus as things stand, America has more of an obligation to the country led by Erdogan than the one led by Netanyahu.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2024, 03:14:51 PM »

Also, to the extent that the destruction of Gaza is “existential” for Israel (it isn’t actually), it’s because Israeli policy has been to provide security for West Bank settlers at the expense of Israelis living near Gaza. The scale of the massacre and mayhem on October 7th was preventable.

Now, after tens of thousands of Palestinians are dead, there are more Israelis talking about resettling Gaza. Oh sure, they might be “illegal” settlements. Initially.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2024, 03:17:51 PM »

This seems like a very reasonabe middle ground to take in lieu of just ending our alliance with Israel.

No country should have an absolutely unconditional alliance with us.  If we choose to ally with them, it should be because we gain a benefit from them or at least broadly support their actions.

If we no longer benefit from or support the actions of Israel, one choice would be to end the alliance.
But a less rash choice would be to suggests that we will end the alliance unless they start taking actions we can once again support.
And when it is overwhelmingly obvious that one leader will never take actions that we can support, it is reasonable to suggest that the alliance cannot continue while that leader is in power.

If Netanyahu thinks this is "interfering", then we can just stop "interfering" with the country completely by cutting off all aid and support.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2024, 03:20:03 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2024, 03:24:42 PM by All Along The Watchtower »

This seems like a very reasonabe middle ground to take in lieu of just ending our alliance with Israel.

No country should have an absolutely unconditional alliance with us.  If we choose to ally with them, it should be because we gain a benefit from them or at least broadly support their actions.

If we no longer benefit from or support the actions of Israel, one choice would be to end the alliance.
But a less rash choice would be to suggests that we will end the alliance unless they start taking actions we can once again support.
And when it is overwhelmingly obvious that one leader will never take actions that we can support, it is reasonable to suggest that the alliance cannot continue while that leader is in power.

The Israeli government rejects the US’s stated policy goal, which is the creation of an independent Palestinian state. That’s a massively important disagreement.

But let’s be real, they are just expecting Trump to return and give them a full blank check (again). Because “Genocide Joe” and the Democrats are insufficiently pro-Israel, apparently.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2024, 03:30:31 PM »

I also think it would be good if there were new elections in Israel, but that's up to the Israelis, not to Schumer. A very inappropriate statement by him. It's obvious many Democrats want a color revolution in Israel, though.

My one observation is that Schumer of all people made this speech.

He has a reputation as a fanatical pro-Israeli, to the point he makes a spectacle in front of others about it:

https://time.com/6321915/china-israel-hamas-senators-meet-xi/

If Schumer made a public move against the Israeli Government, then something big is going on.
Liminal Trans Girl
Lawer
United States

P P P
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2024, 03:42:07 PM »

I also think it would be good if there were new elections in Israel, but that's up to the Israelis, not to Schumer. A very inappropriate statement by him. It's obvious many Democrats want a color revolution in Israel, though.

He has a reputation as a fanatical pro-Israeli, to the point he makes a spectacle in front of others about it:

If Schumer made a public move against the Israeli Government, then something big is going on.

yeah, this is not good for Israel
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2024, 03:49:02 PM »

Good point actually, and it's not just Bibi who does that.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2024, 03:59:02 PM »

yeah, this is not good for Israel

Negotiations must have broken down behind the scenes.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2024, 04:03:48 PM »

Schumer is telling Israeli citizens that their nation is more important than one man and that a radical government will threaten the existence and future of Israel, and Schumer is credible because he loves Israel and is one of the American government's most powerful proponents of Israel. Netanyahu built up Hamas because he thought he was so clever that if he built-up Hamas in Gaza, Palestinian Authority in the West Bank they would be at odds with each other and destabilize the building of a Palestinian state(divide and conquer). He allowed Qatar to send billions to Hamas. There were many in Israeli intelligence who did not agree with him. His admin also failed to heed any intelligence they had that Hamas was planning attacks. Netanyahu has failed before and after October 7th.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2024, 04:49:12 PM »

Schumer is allowed to state his opinion. More to the point, I know that sentiments even within the establishment Democrats towards Netanyahu are not hugely positive, given his well-documented history of inserting himself into American politics.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2024, 06:29:30 PM »

Again, this is a guy who supports the January 6th insurrection.

There was no insurrection.  There was a riot, and I don't condone that. 

If there actually WAS an insurrection on January 6th, with no firearms, what words should we use to describe BLM and Antifa's armed takeovers of police precincts in Minneapolis and NYC?  What do we call the violent rioting at the Federal Courthouse in Portland.

You'll not answer this honestly because you're the Crown Prince of Drive-By Atlas.  But you're full of beans here.  And you supported the violence in America's streets in 2020.  If I got that wrong, you can condemn BLM and Antifa in your reply.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies