Which of these Christian characters and events do you believe are real/actually happened?

(1/4) > >>

NYDem:
Most (though not all) secular historians believe that a real Jesus existed, and was the basis of the Christian religion. However, essentially by definition, no non-Christian historian believes Jesus actually rose from the dead. Which parts of the story do you think actually happened?

I recently found out that Paul mythicists exist, which was surprising. Unlike Christ mythicists, who are a minority but not on the fringe, Paul mythicism is way out there. If you believe that Jesus didn't actually exist, Paul is a perfect person to pin it all on.

PSOL:
2 and 12 did not occur and 6 was most likely done through non-magical means. All the rest of Jesus’s miracles are bunk.

Jesus was procreated through sexual activity.

LabourJersey:
I am a weirdo Christian who believes in most but not all of these:

John the Baptist - I believe that there were precursor preachers in Judea that helped pave the way for Jesus, but I wonder if John is a composite character of several people who Jesus knew in early life, educated him religiously, etc.

Crucified on instigation of religious authorities - he probably was, but the political undertones of the post-Second Temple Jewish and Christian worlds make me wonder if the Jewish authorities's role is exaggerated and the Roman role under-rated.

Judas - the melodrama of the Judas story always rang a little hollow to me, but I suppose someone had to "rat" on Christ to the Romans (or to the Jewish authorities and Roman, per above). I wonder if Judas is a literary representation of men who heard Jesus but did not choose to follow The Way.

All other aspects I believe - though this poll didn't include a lot of the events regarding Mary that I think is honestly bunk (the immaculate conception of her mother Anna, her remaining a virgin while married to Joseph, and especially her Assumption)

100% pro-life no matter what:
Quote from: LabourJersey on March 15, 2024, 05:12:58 PM

I am a weirdo Christian who believes in most but not all of these:

John the Baptist - I believe that there were precursor preachers in Judea that helped pave the way for Jesus, but I wonder if John is a composite character of several people who Jesus knew in early life, educated him religiously, etc.

Crucified on instigation of religious authorities - he probably was, but the political undertones of the post-Second Temple Jewish and Christian worlds make me wonder if the Jewish authorities's role is exaggerated and the Roman role under-rated.

Judas - the melodrama of the Judas story always rang a little hollow to me, but I suppose someone had to "rat" on Christ to the Romans (or to the Jewish authorities and Roman, per above). I wonder if Judas is a literary representation of men who heard Jesus but did not choose to follow The Way.

All other aspects I believe - though this poll didn't include a lot of the events regarding Mary that I think is honestly bunk (the immaculate conception of her mother Anna, her remaining a virgin while married to Joseph, and especially her Assumption)

Much of that is Catholic theology.  Protestants do not believe that Mary was sinless or that she remained a virgin for her whole life (just prior to giving birth to Jesus).

DaleCooper:
All except for the virgin birth, healing the sick, and the resurrection.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page