Do you like The Beatles?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:28:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you like The Beatles?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Do you like The Beatles?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Do you like The Beatles?  (Read 833 times)
vitoNova
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2024, 09:57:03 PM »

Second greatest band of all time after the Die Fantastischen Vier

Just sayin'
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2024, 10:49:09 PM »

Yes---

Naturally, I grew up in a single parent household in the '80s and my mom naturally had some Beatle vinyl albums she would play periodically.

My Dad would sometimes play them as well when we would visit him every other week up in Portland.

My two immediate siblings were also way into the Beatles and would constantly rewatch Beatles movies such as "A Hard Days Night"...

As I got a bit older in HS in the late '80s and started "experimenting" with a few herbal substances, not to mention perhaps a few other natural items which might enhance a musical journey, certainly the Pepper album helped provide some surrealistic vibes, enhancing the audio studio sounds.

Even before that certain albums such as Rubber Soul and Revolver indicated a significant shift away from The Beatles being the "boy band" and move into more complicated territory.

Sure by the time The Beatles unexpectedly collapsed, after having become virtually only a studio band, their sounds had shifted and in some ways Let it Be might perhaps have been a bit weaker than a couple previous album releases, but reality was that John Lennon was going to go his own way regardless.

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2024, 04:33:30 PM »

Nah I prefer this much edgier British band called the Rolling Stones, but you wouldn’t have heard of them
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2024, 04:38:51 PM »

Sad

Seriously though, of all the 60s British Invasion bands, I would think the Beatles would be the most appreciated among fans of more melodic forms of punk, post-hardcore, indie, and related music, including emo.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2024, 04:49:57 PM »

Sad

Seriously though, of all the 60s British Invasion bands, I would think the Beatles would be the most appreciated among fans of more melodic forms of punk, post-hardcore, indie, and related music, including emo.
1-Why?
2-Who said I listen to any 60s British Invasion bands at all?
kyc0705

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2024, 04:56:33 PM »

It's normal for people to not LOVE The Beatles, but people that don't even like them a little bit have bad taste IMO. I know there's the whole "art is subjective" thing, but... it's The Beatles. If you don't find them at least mediocre, at a bare minimum, then there might be something wrong with you.

Also, there are so many different phases and sounds to Beatles music that I find it hard to believe that a given person couldn't find anything in their catalogue to like.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2024, 07:31:18 AM »

I was raised in a household where people would quote lines from Beatles films and songs like some people quote scripture. Let that speak for itself.

Cynics, take note:

Mechavada
The News

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2024, 07:42:52 AM »

I would like to know where this sea of Beatles hating critics are.  You guys act like they exist around every corner.

Also, saying "I like the Beatles" isn't going to make you any smarter or cooler than saying "the sky is blue".  Get over yourselves.
Mechavada
The News

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2024, 07:44:59 AM »

Serious answer: yes, there are some songs that are pretty damn innovative.  "Helter Skelter", "I am the Walrus", "Back in the USSR" etc there are catchy and inventive songs from the Fab Four.

With that said. . . . . . .  .(lightning strikes) I'm definitely more of a Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath fan.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2024, 09:03:56 AM »

I don't particularly like The Beatles.

That being said, The Beatles were, in the words of my Grade School band leader (5th and 6th grade), the Saviors of Music; they "saved" popular music from the relative monotony of Rock and Pop Music from around 1954 through 1964, when the "British Invasion" occurred.  The Beatles brought back complicated melodies, breaking the C-A minor-F-G7 endless chord structure and repetitive melodies.  A song like "Eleanor Rigby" or "Strawberry Fields Forever" was unthinkable in the 1950s, and while I suspect that hallucinogens played a role in some of the creativity, these were amazing feats that expanded the depth of popular music. 

Of course, I like Junk Food Music.  I like 1950s street corner Doo-Wop music (the Folk Music of the inner city).  I like real rockabilly music.  And I've always liked silly Bubblegum Rock tunes with catchy melodies.  But The Beatles expanded music; they made possible much of what you hear today.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2024, 11:31:27 AM »

With that said. . . . . . .  .(lightning strikes) I'm definitely more of a Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath fan.

Ian Gillan-era Deep Purple > both of those bands.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2024, 04:05:47 PM »

Hmm, let's see what's on the shelves. On vinyl we've hung on to (in no particular order): Hard Days Night, Hey Jude, Beatles VI, Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, Revolver, Abbey Road, Beatles For Sale, Rubber Soul, Let It Be, Help, The White Album, and the Red (1962-1966) and Blue (1967-1970) Anthologies.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2024, 04:31:21 PM »

I don't particularly love The Beatles, but I don't hate them either. I probably would've gotten along best with George on a personal/spiritual level. I think John is overrated and consider "Imagine" pompous. Neutral on Paul and Ringo.

While they may have paved the way for a lot of what I listen to, that doesn't require me to love The Beatles or to listen to them. If this makes me "edgy" or whatever, I can live with that.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2024, 04:41:04 PM »

Since I resumed scrobbling in 2021, The Beatles are my 14th most-listened to artist (below Whiskeytown and above Parquet Courts). Of the classic rock staples I prefer The Rolling Stones at their peak, early Grateful Dead, and maybe early Zeppelin but The Beatles are different because their entire catalogue is timelessly outstanding in a way that is not true of the others.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2024, 12:10:35 AM »

Since I resumed scrobbling in 2021, The Beatles are my 14th most-listened to artist (below Whiskeytown and above Parquet Courts). Of the classic rock staples I prefer The Rolling Stones at their peak, early Grateful Dead, and maybe early Zeppelin but The Beatles are different because their entire catalogue is timelessly outstanding in a way that is not true of the others.

It's interesting that you call them classic rock, because obviously that is an accurate description but the Beatles have never fit very well into the "Classic Rock" radio lineup. In fact, I doubt the Beatles were even in the top 10 artists played on those stations back in the day, or today to whatever extent radio still exists. This is probably because of how timeless the Beatles are compared to the kind of nostalgic dad rock that the people listening to Classic Rock usually want to hear.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2024, 11:53:36 AM »

I have liked far more Beatles' songs than I have disliked. A couple of their songs I definitely do not like are Because and Come Together. But I definitely enjoy songs such as Yesterday, Nowhere Man, When I'm Sixty-four, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Yellow Submarine, and The Long and Winding Road.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2024, 03:59:26 PM »

I don't particularly love The Beatles, but I don't hate them either. I probably would've gotten along best with George on a personal/spiritual level. I think John is overrated and consider "Imagine" pompous. Neutral on Paul and Ringo.

While they may have paved the way for a lot of what I listen to, that doesn't require me to love The Beatles or to listen to them. If this makes me "edgy" or whatever, I can live with that.
This is kind of my view. I don't hate the Beatles like I do hate The Cure, largely due to this:
If BRTD would accept that The Cure is "Emo", might be a tossup in my book.

Considering that is not the case, I would certainly consider "Piano Man" to be superior to what tripe emo music that BRTD serves out for a New Years feast....

BRTD disputes The Cure are emo??!? Shocked

But I do find this notion that you MUST like The Beatles to be annoying, or things like people who say that anyone who says that Sunny Day Real Estate is better than The Beatles must b trolling.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2024, 10:15:05 PM »

This is kind of my view. I don't hate the Beatles like I do hate The Cure, largely due to this:

Considering that is not the case, I would certainly consider "Piano Man" to be superior to what tripe emo music that BRTD serves out for a New Years feast....

But I do find this notion that you MUST like The Beatles to be annoying, or things like people who say that anyone who says that Sunny Day Real Estate is better than The Beatles must b trolling.

How can you hate The Cure? I've got like 6 Cure mp3's.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2024, 11:01:28 PM »

How can you hate The Cure? I've got like 6 Cure mp3's.
I explained why in that very post.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2024, 11:55:01 PM »

I don't understand the post but what about any songs by them or you hate them all?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2024, 12:07:08 AM »

I don't understand the post but what about any songs by them or you hate them all?
The only songs I've heard from them are Friday I'm in Love which is awful and Lovesong which is just boring.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2024, 12:13:08 AM »

You're killing me Smalls.

You don't like Friday I'm in Love, that is tragic but we can get past it.

I think you've probably heard more and don't realize it.

I think you should try Boys Don't Cry, Pictures Of You, In Between Days, and Just Like Heaven and see how you find those.

Heck they made a movie based on Just Like Heaven lol.
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2024, 08:28:32 PM »

I enjoy some of their work quite a bit, but they might be the most overhyped band in the history of rock music.

Much as I believe that there is at least one or two Beatles songs for everyone, the idea that disliking them as a band by default makes you some kind of edgelord is just a smoothbrain take. God forbid we should reassess the popular trends of the past on their own merits instead of just what the public consensus is.

Anyway, John Lennon is also one of my least favourite people in history. If I were barred from speaking ill of the dead, I would have nothing to say about him at all.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2024, 03:00:36 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2024, 07:02:34 AM by Meclazine for Israel »

I was brought up on the Beatles.

Never seen a better songwriting duo in history that comes close to John and Paul.

There has been Spit Enz, Hall and Oates, but nothing touches the Beatles for songwriting.

Simply magnificent music.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2024, 09:41:44 AM »

Yes
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to: