Is it ever ok to call someone a "self-hating jew"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:53:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is it ever ok to call someone a "self-hating jew"?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

Yes, but only if you are jewish

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Is it ever ok to call someone a "self-hating jew"?  (Read 1319 times)
Flats the Flounder
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2024, 08:30:08 PM »

I find that typically, although concepts both of the "self-hating Jew" and the more umbrella term "internalized bigotry" can exist in theory, in practice they are typically used to shut down anyone's perspective on their own identity that doesn't align with the mainstream narratives about those identities.

Overall, I think those kinds of accusations should be minimized except for very extreme cases, like those of Jewish Holocaust deniers.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2024, 09:16:12 PM »

"I do hate myself but it has nothing to do with being Jewish!"
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2024, 01:02:08 PM »

They definitely exist. I don't see how it's not appropriate to describe Stephen Miller or Tony Greenstein that way, for instance. The problem is, it gets used more liberally than it should.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2024, 02:52:03 PM »

I tend to agree with those saying it applies an undue psychotherapeutic gloss to objectionable political or religious ideas that should instead be discussed as objectionable political or religious ideas. There probably should be a term more specific than "antisemite" to communicate the especially insidious and craven nature of these ideas when advanced by people who are themselves Jewish, but "self-hating Jew" isn't the best term to accomplish that.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2024, 02:52:40 PM »

They definitely exist. I don't see how it's not appropriate to describe Stephen Miller or Tony Greenstein that way, for instance. The problem is, it gets used more liberally than it should.

Dude, you literally called ever single Jewish member of Congress who voted against Tlaib's censure self hating, now you think it's used too liberally? Make your mind up.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2024, 03:16:06 PM »

Dude, you literally called ever single Jewish member of Congress who voted against Tlaib's censure self hating, now you think it's used too liberally? Make your mind up.

No I didn't, you literally made that up out of thin air. I celebrated a progressive Jewish congressman, Steve Cohen, voting for the censure by saying "The Jewish people are done with this BS". You immediately started yelling that I was saying that every Jewish Congress member who voted against the censure wasn't a real Jew.
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2024, 09:34:23 PM »

The truth is always okay. If someone is Jewish and hates themselves for being Jewish, then there is nothing wrong with making the truthful description of them as such, regardless of how unpopular or rude it may be considered.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2024, 05:33:14 PM »

"I do hate myself but it has nothing to do with being Jewish!"

Once again, Larry David and I share a similarity.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2024, 10:49:28 AM »

Probably not. There is a real phenomenon of internalized anti-Semitism, just like women can experience internalized misogyny, gays can experience internalized homophobia, and so on. But I think it's more productive to discuss in those terms rather than just calling someone a "self-hating Jew" whether or not the person saying it is Jewish. At best, it's a conversation-ender and at worst just a product of that person's own anti-Semitism making them want to degrade Jews in a way they think will be more socially acceptable.
Mr. Ukucasha
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2024, 09:04:40 PM »

In most cases, no, unless the person in question is someone like Bobby Fischer.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2024, 07:52:38 PM »

If they are an actual self-hating Jew, then sure, but the vast majority of the times these terms are used that is not actually the case, and the people saying such are not actually Jewish.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2024, 09:22:36 PM »

I agree it probably should be used with reticence, but when you get people like Norm Finkelstein saying things like 'David Irving is a very good historian' then I think its a fair characterization
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2024, 08:15:05 AM »

I agree it probably should be used with reticence, but when you get people like Norm Finkelstein saying things like 'David Irving is a very good historian' then I think its a fair characterization

Looking at how Norman Finkelstein conducts himself, I really don't see much evidence of self-hatred. If anything what transpires is a deeply overinflated sense of his own ego.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2024, 08:50:29 AM »

yeah, that dude is an asshole first.  His hatred of his own people is a byproduct of that, not the other way around.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2024, 12:27:27 PM »

From current conduct, it seems pretty safe to say Katie Halper, Rafael Shimunov, and Amanda Gelender actively qualify. All of them are turning a lot of their venom on the diaspora Jewish community that refuses to turn on Israel.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies