Immigrants, including ILLEGAL, far less likely to commit crimes than native-born Americans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:43:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Immigrants, including ILLEGAL, far less likely to commit crimes than native-born Americans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Republicans exploiting Laken Riley's death to target entire group of people far less likely to kill than the average person?
Freedom Action

Horrible Action

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Immigrants, including ILLEGAL, far less likely to commit crimes than native-born Americans  (Read 968 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2024, 03:28:51 PM »

It's still a losing issue for Democrats as most voters don't care about statistics. It's more about vibes, feeling and perceptions. Basically the same with studies showing the US economy would be doing worse without immigrants.

What would help is Biden hammering Republicans on a border security deal and try to do more via executive action. In the long run, only comprehensive immigration reform can address or resolve the issue.
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2024, 03:30:19 PM »

It's still a losing issue for Democrats as most voters don't care about statistics. It's more about vibes, feeling and perceptions. Basically the same with studies showing the US economy would be doing worse without immigrants.

What would help is Biden hammering Republicans on a border security deal and try to do more via executive action. In the long run, only comprehensive immigration reform can address or resolve the issue.
The problem is that immigration massively surged under Biden's watch and was at much lower levels under Trump's watch.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2024, 03:58:47 PM »

I understand that the median American will never truly believe that illegal immigrants make the country wealthier and safer, but it is frustrating when daily posters on talkelections dot org who have eaten of the proverbial tree of knowledge parrot the same internally inconsistent and/or factually incorrect opinions on immigration. I honestly have more respect for straight-up racists on this issue, because at least they are actually correct that immigration makes the country less white, so if you want a more white country then limiting immigration makes sense. It doesn't make sense if your concern is about crime or taxes or whatever.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2024, 04:06:59 PM »

I understand that the median American will never truly believe that illegal immigrants make the country wealthier and safer, but it is frustrating when daily posters on talkelections dot org who have eaten of the proverbial tree of knowledge parrot the same internally inconsistent and/or factually incorrect opinions on immigration. I honestly have more respect for straight-up racists on this issue, because at least they are actually correct that immigration makes the country less white, so if you want a more white country then limiting immigration makes sense. It doesn't make sense if your concern is about crime or taxes or whatever.

What's inconsistent about trying to end illegal immigration in favor of legal immigration? I know it's difficult to accomplish both on political and practical matters, though it seems like a rational stance that even most of the public would support. In a way, democratic (small d) governments must factor in public opinions because they rely on it.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2024, 04:10:05 PM »

What's inconsistent about trying to end illegal immigration in favor of legal immigration? I know it's difficult to accomplish both on political and practical matters, though it seems like a rational stance that even most of the public would support. In a way, democratic (small d) governments must factor in public opinions because they rely on it.

There's nothing inconsistent about it per se. What's inconsistent is to say that curtailing illegal immigration is a coherent way to address crime, unless you also support a one-child policy or something like that.
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2024, 04:11:18 PM »

I support more immigration to reduce inflation but idk if the public does anymore. The argument that they are taking our jobs is supported by recent employment statistics - native workers have lost jobs since prepandemic while all the job growth has gone to immigrants.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2024, 04:21:39 PM »

There's nothing inconsistent about it per se. What's inconsistent is to say that curtailing illegal immigration is a coherent way to address crime, unless you also support a one-child policy or something like that.

I didn't say or mean that either. Crime is a much wider issue and I would assume - some statistics might correct me - illegal immigrants are more likely to be a victim of crime than commit one in the US beyond the unlawful entrance.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2024, 04:27:27 PM »

I didn't say or mean that either. Crime is a much wider issue and I would assume - some statistics might correct me - illegal immigrants are more likely to be a victim of crime than commit one in the US beyond the unlawful entrance.

Oh, sorry, I wasn't referring to you specifically! This was more a general comment regarding other people ITT.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2024, 05:51:55 PM »

Illegals shouldn't even be here though so any crime committed is one too many.

Liberals cannot comprehend the most basic principles.

We understand your principles, we just think they're wrong.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2024, 09:03:28 PM »

It’s also about people’s daily experience. The problem with statistic is that it’s easily manipulated to show what you want to show.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2024, 07:38:43 AM »

Sadly yes. The people think poor people crossing the southern boarder are taking their jobs when it’s people from India and China coming in by plane that are actually doing it and overstaying visas.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2024, 10:12:28 AM »

Sadly yes. The people think poor people crossing the southern boarder are taking their jobs when it’s people from India and China coming in by plane that are actually doing it and overstaying visas.

Most of the jobs "taken" by these people are the ones barely anyone else wants to do. Like house keeping, seasonal workers on vegatable fields or cleaners. Most of us don't even realize their work unless stuff isn't cleaned. All that while some businesses take advantage of them while they have little privileges. Sure, that doesn't mean each undocumented is supposed to be here. We need to fix the immigration system and make it easier to come here. On the hand, I have no pain with additional border security measures and more effectively looking for visa overstays. A majority of undocumented still enter via legal ports of entry.

Unfortunately the debate over immigration is extremely heated and emotional and we're often overlooking the actual facts. That however would help to get better solutions.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2024, 10:47:22 AM »

Immigration is one of those issues in American politics in which facts go to die.

The media in particular has been disgraceful in the way they report on the subject.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2024, 08:59:12 PM »

While it’s absolutely horrible what happened to Laken Riley, it’s even worse what Republicans are trying to exploit from her murder.

Separately, they’ll use a young white woman to do it. Out west and in Alaska they’re completely ignoring the systemic abduction, rape, murder and trafficking of native women. They’re even actively trying to obfuscate the issue and make sure nothing is done because it’s home grown good ole boys engaged in it too.

If you really think that making political hay out of Laken Riley's death is worse than her murder, that's a statement about you.  And not a positive one.

Who, by the way, is the "they" that are ignoring the systematic abduction, rape, murder, and trafficking of Native Women?  "They" shouldn't be ignoring it, and Law Enforcement ought to be investing significant resources in putting that to a stop. 

Your statement speaks for itself and the kind of person you are.  You just suggested that making political hay over a brutal murder is worse than the murder itself.  Give that some thought.  If you really believe that, get help.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2024, 09:25:06 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2024, 09:30:22 AM by Fuzzy Won't Cover Up Biden's Senility »

While it’s absolutely horrible what happened to Laken Riley, it’s even worse what Republicans are trying to exploit from her murder.

Separately, they’ll use a young white woman to do it. Out west and in Alaska they’re completely ignoring the systemic abduction, rape, murder and trafficking of native women. They’re even actively trying to obfuscate the issue and make sure nothing is done because it’s home grown good ole boys engaged in it too.

If you really think that making political hay out of Laken Riley's death is worse than her murder, that's a statement about you.  And not a positive one.

Who, by the way, is the "they" that are ignoring the systematic abduction, rape, murder, and trafficking of Native Women?  "They" shouldn't be ignoring it, and Law Enforcement ought to be investing significant resources in putting that to a stop.  

Your statement speaks for itself and the kind of person you are.  You just suggested that making political hay over a brutal murder is worse than the murder itself.  Give that some thought.  If you really believe that, get help.

I'd also point out that Gorguf, omegascarlet, Fubart Solomon, and T'Chenka recommended your post. What does this say about them when they "Recommend" a post that suggests that the people "making political hay" over Laken Riley are worse than the murderer, and the act of making political hay worse than the murder itself?  

People have the right to be wrong to a degree, I suppose, but when people actually "Recommend" THAT and mean it, they're either (A) not paying attention at all, or (B) so politically driven that they need to consider how insensitive (indeed, how downright hateful) they have become to victims of murder and their survivors who vote the wrong way.  They get to post this, I suppose, and they get to "Recommend" such posts, but these people, if they really subscribe to the sentiment, they, too, need to consider the need to seek some kind of help.  They have "Recommended" a sentiment that cannot be defended by anyone with a smidgen of logic and morality.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2024, 02:00:13 PM »

As long as this issue hurts Biden, I am fine. I am not actually that opposed to immigration.

Are you this much a troll in real life, or is this just an act you put on for your consistently idiotic posting for atlas. Seriously my man, give yourself and us a break and just delete your account you one note Wonder hack
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies