Issues where state governments play a federal role
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:59:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Issues where state governments play a federal role
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Issues where state governments play a federal role  (Read 174 times)
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2024, 07:29:04 AM »

Just thinking off the top of my head, but things like emergency preparedness/national guard, border security for the border states. Anything else?

I wonder this because I notice that www.politics1.com lists Mikie Sherrll as a possible candidate for New Jersey governor in 2025 and I don't know why a person involved in national/international issues might suddenly want the top state government job.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 03:39:11 PM »

Moving from the House to a governorship isn't uncommon at all, although it is somewhat unusual that Sherrill is considering doing it as someone known for her foreign and defense policy focuses; is that what you mean? Other than that, the sense among American politicians tends be more or less "a promotion is a promotion". Moving from a governorship to the House does happen as well, but it's generally invovling either very small states (Robert Stafford, Mike Castle, Bill Janklow) or people who flamed out as governors for one reason or another (Mark Sanford, Charlie Crist).

To answer your broader question, trade is a big one, especially for a populous coastal state like a New Jersey; the Port Authority is a joint venture of the New York and New Jersey state governments. You've already given great examples in disaster response and border security, and we could also add a certain level of oversight of national or international corporations that are based in the state; New Jersey is heavy on biomedical and pharmaceutical company headquarters, for instance.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies