Elections of 2024: You Decide - South Korean Legislative Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:56:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Elections of 2024: You Decide - South Korean Legislative Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who do you vote for?
FPTP - Democratic Party

FPTP - People Power Party

FPTP - Green-Justice Party

FPTP - New Reform Party

FPTP - New Progressive Alliance

FPTP - Progressive Party

FPTP - New Future Party

FPTP - Liberal Unification Party

Proportional - Democratic Party

Proportional - People Power Party

Proportional - Green-Justice Party

Proportional - New Reform Party

Proportional - New Progressive Alliance

Proportional - Progressive Party

Proportional - New Future Party

Proportional - Liberal Unification Party

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Elections of 2024: You Decide - South Korean Legislative Election  (Read 396 times)
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2024, 01:36:49 AM »
« edited: March 05, 2024, 06:23:09 AM by GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB »

Electoral System: 253 seats elected by FPTP in single-member constituencies, 47 are elected by proportional representation by the additional member system with a 3% threshold. I've decided to give 2 votes here and will try to simulate the FPTP results as well as I can, vote-splitting will matter!

Parties polling over 1%:

Democratic Party: The main liberal force in the country, pretty centrist, maybe even big tent, from what I can tell. Might be wrong though, so feel free to correct me on that. In favor of the Sunshine Policy with NK. Centrist.
People Power Party: The main conservative force in the country, and the party of President Yoon Suk Yeol. Strongly right-wing and nationalistic, hawkish on NK with some members even advocating for South Korea getting nukes of their own. Right-wing.
Green-Justice Party: A partnership between the environmentalist Green Party Korea and the progressive social democratic Justice Party. They plan to split apart again after the election. Center-left to left-wing
New Reform Party: A split from PPP, while the NRP was originally conservative they've gotten to be a very big-tent centrist reform party, with members coming from the PPP, DP, and even the JP, though most members are associated with the former center to center right liberal-conservative Bareunmirae Party. They briefly unified with New Future before they split off again. Big tent, centrist.
New Progressive Alliance: An alliance led by the Basic Income Party, with the liberal Open Democratic Party and the small Social Democratic Party being partners. As expected they're liberal and pro-UBI. Center-left.
Progressive Party: Formerly Minjung, this party is left-wing nationalist, progressive, anti-imperialist, and anti-American (mostly). Accused of being a puppet of NK but they very vehemently deny it. Considered far-left by South Korean standards. Left-wing to far-left.
New Future Party: A split from the DP led by former PM Lee Nak-yon. As mentioned, briefly unified with the NRP before splitting again. Also centrist reformists. Centrist.
Liberal Unification Party: Previously the Christian Liberty Party, it's strongly evangelist and supported by the Christian Council of Korea. Strongly islamophobic, homophobic, and far-right in general. Had one MP for a short time, who was known for assaulting a former United Progressive Party (disbanded due to accusations of plotting a pro-NK rebellion) MP. That MP was swiftly kicked out for being a Buddhist. Led by controversial pastor Jeon Kwang-hoon (who among other things said only women who take off their panties for him are his true believers). Far-right.

48 hours.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 03:17:58 AM »

Split ticket:

Democratic Party for FPTP
Green-Justice for Proportional
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 07:12:03 PM »

bump
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 08:11:24 PM »

Evidently Atlas Forum wants to be like Jeolla.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 08:39:32 PM »

to be fair I did not expect too much different
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 09:00:15 PM »

Minjoo in the FPTP seats, Liberty Party of Korea in the PR seats to deny them a supermajority.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 01:13:27 PM »

of course there was a new party formed right before I made this post, which is getting nearly 10% in polls. We're just gonna... pretend they don't exist, I guess.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 01:27:16 PM »

Justice Party
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2024, 06:17:48 PM »

This map was a mess to make and honestly might be off in several ways, but I tried as well as I could going through translated wikipedia pages of district by district results, and prominent members of each party who may be in districts. I didn't bother to really take independents into account with the FPTP districts, so some of those could be flipped too.

https://yapms.com/app?m=nch9hk9zhksq64i

Democratic Party: 144 seats (-19)
People Power Party: 108 seats (-5)
Green-Justice Party: 40 seats (+34)
New Reform Party: 4 seats (+3)
Liberal Unification Party: 3 seats (+3)
Progressive Party: 1 seats (+/- 0)
New Progressive Alliance: 0 seats (-1)
New Future Party: 0 seats (-4)

The elections were a massive shakeup for South Korea's political landscape, as a wave of female youth support led to the G-JP becoming a major force in Korean politics. It's believed that this shocking surge was a result of strong opinions regarding feminism, as a wave of anti-feminism is often cited for why Yoon Suk Yeol won the Presidential election. Backing this up is the shocking win of Jang Kyeong-dong, a pastor and former leader of the LUP, in Daejung. The DP's wavering opinion on these issues led to the G-JP taking huge swaths of the vote away from them, leading to minimal PPP losses despite them collapsing in terms of their raw vote numbers, mostly because the G-JP spoiled seats for the DP. Meanwhile New Reform and the Progressives held onto their FPTP seats, with New Reform getting proportional representation along with the LUP. In the end, the G-JP took just enough seats away to force the DP out of a majority. The PPP would continue holding government as they had since Yoon's election, but with a grand coalition being considered impossible and any cooperation with the PP or LUP being ruled out immediately, it seems likely that if Yoon loses to the DP in the Presidential elections, it will be a DP government supported by G-JP.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies