Opinion of Russophobia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:22:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Russophobia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What's your opinion of Russophobia?
FPh

HPh

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Opinion of Russophobia  (Read 837 times)
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 04, 2024, 05:56:01 AM »

Massive freedom phobia
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 06:04:59 AM »

Bigotry is always wrong and stupid, regardless of what a country's government does.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 06:24:10 AM »

Bigotry is always wrong and stupid, regardless of what a country's government does.

some people from historically dominant nations deserve all the bigotry they can get (Russians, Germans, Turks and Arabs come to mind), the world would be a better place if all Russians, Germans, Turks and Arabs assimilated into other cultures.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 08:02:27 AM »

It's non-existent
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 08:38:03 AM »

Hating Putin's regime is okay
Hating ethnic russians is not
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 01:12:56 PM »

It's OK to criticize/dislike the current Russian government and/or its rulers, but it's not OK to extend this attitude to ordinary Russian people.
Flats the Flounder
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 01:17:36 PM »

It's always sad to see wars turn people into bigots.
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 01:27:15 PM »

'Russophobia' is not a thing. I can't have an opinion on something that doesn't exist.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 02:00:28 PM »

Obvious HPh.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 02:25:05 PM »

Unless it’s bigotry against those lazy no good smelly dirty Austrians!
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 03:50:15 PM »

Horrible

Every ___phobia is xenophobia.

I will not dislike Karl Marx only because he is from the country which was ruled by Adolf Hitler.
But Adolf Hitler was Austrian.
OK, I will not dislike Sigmund Freud.

If conducting wars in foreign soil were a fair motive to have phobia against people of a country, I would not be here in this forum.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 04:13:53 PM »

Russophobia is awful and should be removed, “Russophobia” is obvious and should be the view of all.
Flats the Flounder
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 04:15:29 PM »

Russophobia is awful and should be removed, “Russophobia” is obvious and should be the view of all.

What do the quotes signify?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 04:15:56 PM »

What do the quotes signify?

How the Russian government defines it, which is anything opposed to their Neo-imperialist obsessions.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 04:27:50 PM »

'Russophobia' is not a thing. I can't have an opinion on something that doesn't exist.

Sorry, but this is ridiculous. Numerous Western-aligned sources have reported on the spate of anti-Russian hate crimes that has followed the invasion of Ukraine:

https://news.sky.com/story/russians-assaulted-threatened-and-abused-in-uk-as-hate-crimes-linked-to-ukraine-war-surge-12821923
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/07/antirussian-hate-putin-europe/
https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/01/us/nyc-russian-orthodox-church-red-paint

And I could easily go on with these. This hate is a very real thing; pretending that it isn't will if anything help push many Russian immigrants who are otherwise sympathetic to the plight of Ukrainians into Putin's arms by convincing them that the West is indeed an existential enemy of their people.
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2024, 05:27:55 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2024, 05:56:33 PM by Ontario Tory »

Sorry, but this is ridiculous. Numerous Western-aligned sources have reported on the spate of anti-Russian hate crimes that has followed the invasion of Ukraine:

https://news.sky.com/story/russians-assaulted-threatened-and-abused-in-uk-as-hate-crimes-linked-to-ukraine-war-surge-12821923

And I could easily go on with these. This hate is a very real thing; pretending that it isn't will if anything help push many Russian immigrants who are otherwise sympathetic to the plight of Ukrainians into Putin's arms by convincing them that the West is indeed an existential enemy of their people.

There have also been plenty of anti-Ukrainian hate crimes in the West. In fact,  Ukrainians in Germany are physically attacked more frequently than any other nationality - but police won't reveal if these attacks are hate crimes ('politically motivated') or not, even though they have this information at their disposal.

Why don't we hear concerns about 'Ukrainophobia'? Why don't we hear about how attacking random Ukrainians (many of them refugees fleeing war torn areas) is wrong?

The use of woke politically correct terms such as 'Russophobia' is always selectively applied for political purpose - sure, I'll say there is 'Russophobia' when someone brings attention to hate-motivated attacks against Ukrainians, which are often more common.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2024, 06:04:47 PM »

Why is hating Israel merely called "being anti-Israel" rather than "Israelophobia"?  Why is it a "phobia" to hate Russia?  Russia has been the most malicious actor on the world stage over the last century, constantly interfering with other countries to try to undermine and weaken them and sow anger and fear and disinformation, or start violent revolutions to destabilize the government or kill lots of people.  This is really bad and opposing it is a moral imperative, not a phobia.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2024, 07:08:53 PM »

Why is hating Israel merely called "being anti-Israel" rather than "Israelophobia"?  Why is it a "phobia" to hate Russia?  Russia has been the most malicious actor on the world stage over the last century, constantly interfering with other countries to try to undermine and weaken them and sow anger and fear and disinformation, or start violent revolutions to destabilize the government or kill lots of people.  This is really bad and opposing it is a moral imperative, not a phobia.

This is about the standard of post I have come to expect from you.

some people from historically dominant nations deserve all the bigotry they can get (Russians, Germans, Turks and Arabs come to mind), the world would be a better place if all Russians, Germans, Turks and Arabs assimilated into other cultures.

Yes I agree we should also hate the English as well. It's fascinating: I regard the assimilation of a patchwork of so many peoples including the Egyptians into one 'Arab' identity as a great historical tragedy and I completely lack this hatred.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2024, 07:11:40 PM »

There have also been plenty of anti-Ukrainian hate crimes in the West. In fact,  Ukrainians in Germany are physically attacked more frequently than any other nationality - but police won't reveal if these attacks are hate crimes ('politically motivated') or not, even though they have this information at their disposal.

Why don't we hear concerns about 'Ukrainophobia'? Why don't we hear about how attacking random Ukrainians (many of them refugees fleeing war torn areas) is wrong?

The use of woke politically correct terms such as 'Russophobia' is always selectively applied for political purpose - sure, I'll say there is 'Russophobia' when someone brings attention to hate-motivated attacks against Ukrainians, which are often more common.

I'm happy to denounce hate crimes against any ethnicity; Ukrainians should not be persecuted because of who they are and where they come from either. Part of the reason why people talk about "Russophobia" is because you will actually find apologists online for hate crimes against Russians, like the creator of this topic. When the war started, I remember seeing internet lefties saying that these events were necessary to motivate Russians to oppose Putin and agitate for regime change.

I respect your point that we shouldn't be playing political games with these terms, but making statements that seem to imply that hate crimes against Russians don't exist is a game from the opposite direction. Instead we should be able to agree that both Russians and Ukrainians are being targeted and that neither should be victimized.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2024, 07:25:03 PM »

It's become depressingly clear, if it wasn't already, that Russia has the kinds of regimes it has because of deep cultural pathologies rather than mere historical happenstance, but cultural pathologies can never be imputed individually to everyone in the culture, at least not in exactly the same way for every person.
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2024, 07:31:25 PM »

I'm happy to denounce hate crimes against any ethnicity; Ukrainians should not be persecuted because of who they are and where they come from either. Part of the reason why people talk about "Russophobia" is because you will actually find apologists online for hate crimes against Russians, like the creator of this topic. When the war started, I remember seeing internet lefties saying that these events were necessary to motivate Russians to oppose Putin and agitate for regime change.

I respect your point that we shouldn't be playing political games with these terms, but making statements that seem to imply that hate crimes against Russians don't exist is a game from the opposite direction. Instead we should be able to agree that both Russians and Ukrainians are being targeted and that neither should be victimized.

Fine. I will agree with you that no one should justify hate crimes/hatred against Russians.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2024, 08:19:51 PM »

it's wrong to hate an individual Russian (unless they give you reason to), but Russophobia is fine
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2024, 08:25:26 PM »

Europe on the left, Russia (the regime, not the people) on the right. Nuff said.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2024, 10:01:35 PM »

LOL

So if a war breaks out between two impoverished African countries, for example, I'm a good person if I root for the poorer of the two? Do I have this right?

Does this logic also apply to street fights? Should I try to find out how much cash each dude has in his wallet at the time and root for the one who has less? Or if one has an iPhone and the other has a cheap Walmart Android model, I can just assume it's safe to root for the Android guy?
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2024, 10:48:25 PM »

Russians are pretty cool, actually.

As a people. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies