Which Position is better/less bad: Supporting BLM in 2020 or Supporting Palestine now
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:55:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which Position is better/less bad: Supporting BLM in 2020 or Supporting Palestine now
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which Position is better/less bad
Supporting BLM in 2020

Supporting Palestine now

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Which Position is better/less bad: Supporting BLM in 2020 or Supporting Palestine now  (Read 636 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2024, 02:16:52 PM »

Obviously the 2nd is worse so voted for the first
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 02:24:45 PM »

I voted BLM, but I think it's a false premise and too generalizing because neither BLM nor Palestine are homogeneous groups of people. Not all of Palestine is pro-Hamas and not all elements of BLM support violence or defunding the police.

Black Lives Matter actually has a good intention, and I guess a lot of the rioters from 2020 were actually just a bunch of losers with no purpose in life rather than serious activists who would like to see things getting better for everyone. They certainly didn't do the cause a favor at all.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 02:42:07 PM »

I voted BLM, but I think it's a false premise and too generalizing because neither BLM nor Palestine are homogeneous groups of people. Not all of Palestine is pro-Hamas and not all elements of BLM support violence or defunding the police.

Black Lives Matter actually has a good intention, and I guess a lot of the rioters from 2020 were actually just a bunch of losers with no purpose in life rather than serious activists who would like to see things getting better for everyone. They certainly didn't do the cause a favor at all.

I would say the Palestinian cause is inherently bad to given even the PLO has always wanted the destruction of Israel as well which makes the cause inherently evil.

On the other hand with BLM the inherent cause is more muddied as it had two different premises which was police reform and believing systemic racism is still a major problem. The latter though is what ended up dominating all discourse and leading to all the truly atrocious ideas being proposed. If it was just about police reform, and not the latter it may have had gotten support as even simply a position of making it easier to fire bad cops would be a popular position as whether or not you have a high opinion of police departments or a low opinion, nobody likes bad cops(or bad public employees in general).

So I would say the Pro Palestinian cause is worse as there is no possible way such a position could be good while with BLM it was possible if it stuck to being about police reform rather than being about systematic racism
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 03:40:37 PM »

Yeah as other poster pointed out, it's hard to lump everyone in these groups together; there are people acting in good faith and bad faith who support these beliefs.

From what I've seen, I find the pro-Palestine stuff to generally be more mis-informed and disingenuous.

With BLM, I think there was a lot of genuine anger, especially within the black community, about the inequality of how non-white Americans are treated. Given our history and many people's life experiences today, this anger has reasonable basis.

With Palestine, it's weird to see people hyper attaching themselves to an issue they mostly have no connection with, and also seeing people willing to put issues like women's rights and LGBTQ rights "on-hold" until they get what they want out of Palestine. I also see a lot of blatantly antisemitic rhetoric from this crowd.

For these reasons, I find supporting BLM to generally be "better" or "less-bad", but I think there are people acting in good and bad faifth with both issues.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 03:58:36 PM »

Both are good. I don't vote in stupid polls or biased polls, and this one is both.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 04:00:10 PM »

Depends when in 2020
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 04:01:22 PM »

Both are good. I don't vote in stupid polls or biased polls, and this one is both.

Wait you supported BLM as well.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 04:04:47 PM »

Neither one is inherently bad, depending on how you define them.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2024, 04:35:44 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2024, 10:54:00 AM by YE »

Wait you supported BLM as well.

I support actual police reform, not crap like burning down tire stores or renaming high schools.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2024, 06:17:52 PM »

Both are morally correct positions
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2024, 07:47:12 PM »

BLM committed far less hate crimes on average and George Floyd certainly didn't commit an act of genocide before being killed.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 10:11:03 AM »

Yup, pretty much this. Latter is worse on average because Hamas has done much worse things than anyone marching/rioting in the name of BLM.

The choice at hand is indeed not a good comparison. I support Palestine becoming a sovereign state with a sovereign land not occupied by Israeli settlers. Ergo, a 2-state-solution. What I don't support is Hamas or any acts of terror. Hamas is a cancer and needs to be eliminated, but only via force, there needs to be a political solution that assures a peaceful future for Palestinians while at the same time the sovereignty of Israel is out of question. As for BLM, I support structural police and justice system reforms, not symbolic stuff or defunding the police.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 10:47:48 AM »

Supporting Palestine, but both are morally abhorrent and based on completely false narratives.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2024, 12:37:41 AM »

Supporting Palestine, but both are morally abhorrent and based on completely false narratives.

What false narrative is BLM based on?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2024, 08:26:15 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2024, 08:55:35 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

BLM has zero redeeming qualities.
Supporting freedom for Palestine and stopping an actual genocide happening in real time is more of a moral necessity
MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -6.61

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2024, 08:49:28 AM »

Both are morally correct positions

The correct position in general.

You can not preach the injustice of one scenario without the other.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2024, 09:53:42 AM »

Supporting Palestine now.. there's legitimate grievances to be had unlike BLM.
Rat
Snickleton
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2024, 01:23:27 PM »

I don't think either position is necessarily "bad". At their core, they are good causes: police brutality and discrimination against minorities is a real issue worth addressing, and the way innocents are being killed in Gaza is horrible and we do need to ensure that Israel is held to account for its response. But I think a lot of the rhetoric and behavior of the activists for those causes is pretty vile and misguided. I think Defund the Police was a terrible movement that led to a lot of the problems we are encountering in blue cities (especially here on the west coast), and those impact us a lot more negatively in real policy than uninformed leftists being useful idiots for Hamas at their protests and on social media.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2024, 02:31:32 PM »

BLM doesn't have anywhere near the body count of Hamas.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2024, 10:43:43 PM »

What does "supporting Palestine now" mean exactly? I support Palestine now in that I support a two-state solution, as I did before. I certainly think there is nothing wrong or bad with that.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies