Have your views changed on Israel-Palestine since October 7?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:43:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Have your views changed on Israel-Palestine since October 7?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Have your views changed on Israel-Palestine since October 7?
Yes, much more pro-Israel

Yes, slightly more pro-Israel

No, stayed the same

Yes, slightly more pro-Palestine

Yes, much more pro-Palestine

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 103

Author Topic: Have your views changed on Israel-Palestine since October 7?  (Read 1177 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2024, 11:04:04 AM »

Where’s the “blackpilled and Jokerfied on it” option?
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2024, 06:46:03 AM »

I've become more sympathetic to the Palestinians(the civilians anyway), but at the same time, I have zero sympathy for Hamas. Also, I have seen how anti-Semitic some people can get. Seriously, Israelis are not automatically devil-spawn the way many in the Muslim world (and some Marxist-Leninist types) view them.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2024, 09:43:32 AM »

An interesting way to phrase the question. I'll answer 'since this time last year' instead, taking into account the terrorist attack and the ongoing genocide following it.

I used to not care that much and thought of people who did as just a bunch of far-left activists waving Palestinian flags about; now, I recognise that it's really weird that people are so eager to defend a genocidal, foreign state actively hostile to us, and that actually people tweeting links to petitions to stop supporting that state are perfectly normal and that perhaps the people shouting accusations of racism at them are the real unpatriotic deranged lunatics.

The fact anyone is voting 4/5 shows how terrorism has worked. Disgusting.

Really? I don't see anything about 'pro-Hamas' on there. Surprisingly, people are not particularly sympathetic to a state carrying out a genocide while they are sympathetic to the victims of that genocide.

Please tell me what you expected Israel to do on October 8th other than this?

"He murdered a man and kidnapped his son, therefore the police were justified in sending tanks into his neighbourhood and destroying every single house, as well as in shooting the kidnapped child when he emerged from the smouldering ruins with his hands up and a white flag in them. If you disagree, you support murder." Great stuff!

My opinions on the issue have not changed, my distaste for the ultra-partisans on either side in the United States has become stronger.

This

Man have I got some bad news for you.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2024, 01:21:37 PM »

The question here is ambiguous - is the point of comparison immediately before the events of October 7th or immediately after? I imagine the answer could be very different depending on which one.
Flats the Flounder
Rookie
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2024, 03:51:49 PM »

The question here is ambiguous - is the point of comparison immediately before the events of October 7th or immediately after? I imagine the answer could be very different depending on which one.

Initially, I was thinking immediately after, but having given it some thought, immediately before might give some more interesting answers. People can answer it whichever way they prefer.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2024, 11:39:50 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2024, 11:53:15 PM by Vosem »

"He murdered a man and kidnapped his son, therefore the police were justified in sending tanks into his neighbourhood and destroying every single house, as well as in shooting the kidnapped child when he emerged from the smouldering ruins with his hands up and a white flag in them. If you disagree, you support murder." Great stuff!

Er, yes, if that's what it takes to stop him from killing again? That is not dissimilar to how we do things in America, and it does basically work.

I think it is true that if you disagree, and your solution does not involve anything meaningful to stop a repeat, then you support murder (or, well, murder by that individual) in a very real sense. It is noticeable that many of the same political movements in the US that support Hamas also have a real tendency to support murder!
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2024, 09:12:06 AM »

The fact anyone is voting 4/5 shows how terrorism has worked. Disgusting.
If you asked this on October 8th you might have a point but a lot has happened since then.

Assasination of the Hamas leadership, ending work-permits for Gazans in Israel and a limited tactical strike campaign similar to 2014. Not killing more people in 6 months than in the previous 50 years combined.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2024, 08:31:32 AM »

Er, yes, if that's what it takes to stop him from killing again? That is not dissimilar to how we do things in America, and it does basically work.

I think it is true that if you disagree, and your solution does not involve anything meaningful to stop a repeat, then you support murder (or, well, murder by that individual) in a very real sense. It is noticeable that many of the same political movements in the US that support Hamas also have a real tendency to support murder!

Yes I did think of that when creating the scenario (rather exaggerated by comparison). Anyway the alternative solution in this scenario was to only destroy the street (some radicals are even saying they should've arrested him), or at least maybe not shoot the child afterwards. Unfortunately anyone who suggests it has been dismissed as a murderer sympathiser.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2024, 08:37:36 AM »

Israel is of course justified in going all out in response to October 7. The problem is them going all out in response to October 7 and ignoring their deprivation of Palestinians' rights before or after in other contexts. Which has been going on, for decades. I have also seen needless killing and cruelty to civilians that did not need to happen even in response to October 7.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies